1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big red brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by midlife4X4fix, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jul 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    midlife4X4fix

midlife4X4fix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
    The TRD brake upgrade says it only fits 2WD Tacomas. Anyone know why.
    Is there a kit for the 4X4's? My truck stops like it has a 5,000 boat behind it. PRETTY danm poorly(as in dangerous):eek:
    Is there a pad upgrade that is effective? I really don't give a crap if it wears out the rotors fast. Just so long as I can stop effectively..

2. Jul 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    midlife4X4fix

midlife4X4fix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.

All I know is that a couple of times I went for the brakes and OH-$hit!
    Sounds as if you have some concerns as well(hawk/Brembo).
    Do you know if I can get the kit from my Stoptech dealer? I already have their 6 pot calipers/kit on my 2012 S4.

But in response.. I do want it to stop at least as well as a Cayenne.

3. Jul 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    As stated by whipperderper, these have the best stopping distance in their class by a significant margin...I doubt whipperderper has a concern with his trucks stopping performance, just replaced with high quality parts when the time came as I will...

This truck will never stop as well as a Cayenne unless you do a custom setup using larger rotors, pads, calipers, etc.

BTW: I believe the Tacoma BBK won't fit on our 4x4's because it only works on 5 lug applications.

Products Discussed in

To Top