Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Big red brake upgrade

Old 07-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
midlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to all

midlife4X4fix's Tacoma Gallery
Big red brake upgrade

The TRD brake upgrade says it only fits 2WD Tacomas. Anyone know why.
Is there a kit for the 4X4's? My truck stops like it has a 5,000 boat behind it. PRETTY danm poorly(as in dangerous)
Is there a pad upgrade that is effective? I really don't give a crap if it wears out the rotors fast. Just so long as I can stop effectively..
Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The Tacoma has the best stopping distances in its class. Are you sure you sure pushing the brake or is this your first truck? It will never stop like a Porsche though since it is a truck.

The FJ kit will work if you want to spend the money. It is made by Stoptech. I run Hawk LTS pads and Brembo blank rotors.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
midlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to all

midlife4X4fix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The Tacoma has the best stopping distances in its class. Are you sure you sure pushing the brake or is this your first truck? It will never stop like a Porsche though since it is a truck.

The FJ kit will work if you want to spend the money. It is made by Stoptech. I run Hawk LTS pads and Brembo blank rotors.

All I know is that a couple of times I went for the brakes and OH-$hit!
Sounds as if you have some concerns as well(hawk/Brembo).
Do you know if I can get the kit from my Stoptech dealer? I already have their 6 pot calipers/kit on my 2012 S4.

But in response.. I do want it to stop at least as well as a Cayenne.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife4X4fix View Post
All I know is that a couple of times I went for the brakes and OH-$hit!
Sounds as if you have some concerns as well(hawk/Brembo).
Do you know if I can get the kit from my Stoptech dealer? I already have their 6 pot calipers/kit on my 2012 S4.

But in response.. I do want it to stop at least as well as a Cayenne.
As stated by whipperderper, these have the best stopping distance in their class by a significant margin...I doubt whipperderper has a concern with his trucks stopping performance, just replaced with high quality parts when the time came as I will...

This truck will never stop as well as a Cayenne unless you do a custom setup using larger rotors, pads, calipers, etc.

BTW: I believe the Tacoma BBK won't fit on our 4x4's because it only works on 5 lug applications.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by cintocrunch View Post
As stated by whipperderper, these have the best stopping distance in their class by a significant margin...I doubt whipperderper has a concern with his trucks stopping performance, just replaced with high quality parts when the time came as I will...

This truck will never stop as well as a Cayenne unless you do a custom setup using larger rotors, pads, calipers, etc.

BTW: I believe the Tacoma BBK won't fit on our 4x4's because it only works on 5 lug applications.
This^^^

The FJ kit will work on the Tacoma since the FJ is a 6 lug.