Notices

CAT back vs muffler only

Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Voyager is on a distinguished road

Army: retired Army officer
Name: Bob
Voyager's Tacoma Gallery
CAT back vs muffler only

Although the exhaust system on my Ď04 Tacoma V6, DC, TRD 4X4 is in good shape, Iím board and looking for a little more rumble and performance.

After searching this site, Iíve decided on Magnaflow. The catback system (magnaflow part # 15811) goes for about $500 at the local auto parts store.

What is stopping me from just getting a 14Ē or 18Ē Magnaflow muffler and installing it in place of the OEM muffler (leaving all the OEM 2.25Ē tubing and tailpipe in place)? Yes, I donít get the polished 2.5" SS tubing, but whatís the difference?

What am I missing?

Bob
Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Blkvulcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
Blkvulcan's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason I can see going with a catback vs. just a muffler would be a cleaner install and easier to go back to stock.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
^^^Yup. All you get is a clean looking exhaust system instead of maybe getting a hack job.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
...and the bigger piping allows the gases to flow a bit easier and the larger piping will lower the tone some.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f5sp View Post
...and the bigger piping allows the gases to flow a bit easier and the larger piping will lower the tone some.
Modern OEM exhausts aren't very restrictive.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #6

Voyager's Tacoma Gallery
Good points by everyone.

Cat back was my first call. Although the exhaust system appears to be in good shape, Iíve had this truck for 8 yearsÖIím concerned about getting the O2 sensor out & getting the rusted cat/pipe bolts out. Can turn into a real pain.

What does ďgases to flow a bit easierĒ mean? More hp up top at the expense of low end torque?

The truck is basically a weekend toy hauler (see pic). Llives at low end torque.

Lower the tone some is good.

Here is what is really bugging me. If I go with just muffler, the remainder of the cash can go to an air induction system. So it is cat back vs. muffler and CAI.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
CAT back vs muffler only-dsc_0201.jpg  
Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Blkvulcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
Blkvulcan's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with just the muffler and save the cash. I would love to have a catback mainly for the clean install, but I have replaced just the muffler on my last two trucks and they looked and worked great. I have never been able to justify the $500 on a catback when I could get just the muffler installed for ~$150.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Another option; have a Custom shop do the "Cat back"....

I purchased just that a short time ago from Lou's Custom for around $300...

My 02 sensor was replaced earlier in life so they cut behind that and "opened" up the pipe size from there back to a "House STAINLESS muffler" ( Borla built,minor rumble,not a roar ) into a new tailpipe .....

My Rubber hangers were replaced by TOYOTA on the "Frame swap" so no need for new BUT all other hangers were "Virgins" created by LOU's ....exhaust sits up tighter into frame space and NO Rattles

BEST part, Muffler has a 5 year warranty and LOU's will warranty workmanship on ALL of it,including that front flange they "Cleaned up" ( guaranteed for state inspection)....
Old 07-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

Voyager's Tacoma Gallery
Iím going for it. Just ordered the polished SS Magnaflow catback from advanced auto for $469, free shipping and $50 off next >$100 web order w/ promo code.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
macampos50 is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
macampos50's Tacoma Gallery
JBA makes an affordable cat back and their focus is a long lasting product. I'm leaning towards an affordable cat back vs. a name brand exhaust. I had magna flow on my old truck and it was great, but for the price I should have had a cat back.

Products Discussed in this Thread