Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Intake for HP

Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
Intake for HP

Im looking for an intake PURELY for horsepower/acceleration.

Without having mpg into the picture.

anyone got any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
well airaid. AFE makes a good one. and K&N
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
well i know afe is great for diesel i also have a duramax 2500 with it and a tuner.

but i am not sure how it goes on the gasoline.

im leaning more towards k&n but then again there is probably better company's out there
Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkhi View Post
well i know afe is great for diesel i also have a duramax 2500 with it and a tuner.

but i am not sure how it goes on the gasoline.

im leaning more towards k&n but then again there is probably better company's out there

i just got a new intake, ill sell u my k&n with 2 filters for $130. im also in socal
Old 01-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I got the K&N but it's the Non-street legal version.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
The only CAI that is CARB exempt is the Airaid. And you will be wasting your money on that if you are looking for performance.

The best designed intake for performance is the TRD/AFE intake. (The TRD one is made by AFE).

I am running the K&N intake with a True Flow filter. And to date I have the fastest trap speed in the 1/4 from a 1gr (best of my knowledge, and a lot of other performance mods). So in that aspect I can't say anything bad about the K&N, but you will be better off with the TRD or AFE sealed intakes.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
The only CAI that is CARB exempt is the Airaid. And you will be wasting your money on that if you are looking for performance.

The best designed intake for performance is the TRD/AFE intake. (The TRD one is made by AFE).

I am running the K&N intake with a True Flow filter. And to date I have the fastest trap speed in the 1/4 from a 1gr (best of my knowledge, and a lot of other performance mods). So in that aspect I can't say anything bad about the K&N, but you will be better off with the TRD or AFE sealed intakes.

xrunnit i got a brand new never used before true flow filter for the k&n that i never put on that i can sell to u for cheap if u ever want an extra one
Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
hmm... URD
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
think that is only 1/2 of the solution
more air same fuel = lean
otherwise you get the good sound but nothing but the butt dyno saying you got 5 or 10 or whatever they advertise for hp improvement

so think you need a cai AND a maf calbration !
to get max performance

i'm still waiting for someone to show me stock and then do a cai and dyno it on a machine and show me all the new horsepower
+1000

URD TCAI with a properly tuned MAF Cali, is got to be the best bang for your dollar. Look at all the designs, nothing different. All aftermarket filters will allow more air than stock. Main thing you want from a filter is how much dirt it actually keeps out of the motor. Thats why I originally went with True flowXDI. But some slight qwerks, ie dificulty of removing the filter element & cleaning the filter, and how rich it originally was making my truck run; has steered me to upgrade to the URD. URD Filter placement is awesome. Every other company draws air from the engine bay, if not for sound, you would be better off with a drop in filter in the stock set up. And True Flow makes those also.

Long story short: you want HP, then you need the coolest ambient air possible.

My Votes for URD
Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Creedmoor Connections
carolinyens will become famous soon enough
carolinyens's Tacoma Gallery
TRD CAI. not sure about how much of a difference is between this and the URD one. But the TRD one works. My Scan GaugeII says so ( lower underhood temps). So I would say between the TRD/AFE or URD. Depends on how much you wanna pay and how often you wanna clean it.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
CSULB socal

dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
if i do get an intake ill just get the trd
so it works well if s/c later on.

hmm thanks for the help

but i think i decided that its worth it just to save up for trd cai and trd s/c someday that way no problem with warranty or trade in value someday.

and i dont think 300 dollars is worth it for about 5hp.

so i think ill just get my 3inch lift ; )
Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #12
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
xrunnit i got a brand new never used before true flow filter for the k&n that i never put on that i can sell to u for cheap if u ever want an extra one
Interesting.. PM me with the details. I got to take care of some minor body work, as well save money for a couple track days coming up but if the price is right.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #13
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
+1000

URD TCAI with a properly tuned MAF Cali, is got to be the best bang for your dollar. Look at all the designs, nothing different. All aftermarket filters will allow more air than stock. Main thing you want from a filter is how much dirt it actually keeps out of the motor. Thats why I originally went with True flowXDI. But some slight qwerks, ie dificulty of removing the filter element & cleaning the filter, and how rich it originally was making my truck run; has steered me to upgrade to the URD. URD Filter placement is awesome. Every other company draws air from the engine bay, if not for sound, you would be better off with a drop in filter in the stock set up. And True Flow makes those also.

Long story short: you want HP, then you need the coolest ambient air possible.

My Votes for URD
This is very true. While cruising I am within 1-2* of ambient with the K&N open filter. The TRD/AFE intake would be about the same. So no difference in HP there. The only difference the placement will matter is when you are sitting still not moving. In that case I would want slightly warmer air. Warmer air is less dense, less dense means less air, and less air = more fuel efficient (though also less hp). When you are sitting still you don't need hp, even rolling slowly. By the time you get up and moving the air being pulled in by the K&N, TRD/AFE, or URD, will all be about the same.