1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

exhaust question new to customization of 1st truck

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by gjacobsjr, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    gjacobsjr

gjacobsjr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma SR5 MagGrey on Black
    Black Raptor 16x8 Leer Shell Blacked out windows Pro Comp 3 in lift good year 265/75/16 Airaid CAI Cat Back 2 3/4 pipe with magnaflow and tip
    I have a 2012 taco and want to change the exhaust. I went to two different muffler shops and one said he would cut the y pipe to make a single out? And the other said he would leave it and do a 2.5 from the cat. Is 2.5 the wat to go or bigger? both around 400 for custom job. I also want the sound but not to loud in the cab. I need some help. I just bought the truck and am new to cusotomizing. i will post pictures of what i have dones so far.

2. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    2.5 is fine kind of curious on what you mean by singling out the y pipe?

3. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    huh:confused:

it depends if you go to a larger diameter pipe you lose back pressure in these trucks when you lessen the back pressure you begin to rob yourself of low end power from my understanding. it will also be louder i would leave it at 2.5" for sound pick the right muffler the best sounding mufflers on tacomas are aero turbine and wicked flow imo pick your poison.

there is a whole thread of guys talking about the aero mufflers search it out. i recently switched out my turdmaster 40 series for one and it sounds excellent!

4. Jul 27, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    gjacobsjr

gjacobsjr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma SR5 MagGrey on Black
    Black Raptor 16x8 Leer Shell Blacked out windows Pro Comp 3 in lift good year 265/75/16 Airaid CAI Cat Back 2 3/4 pipe with magnaflow and tip
    im not sure if he was talking about cutting the y pipe and making a 2.5 vs 2.25 or making a single out. I want to say single out but that didnt make sense to me. the guy kept saying its 2.25 so i dont fricking know. I am new to this so i need my hand held threw through the process

5. Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Each half of the Y-pipe is 2.25" diameter. The factory catback is also 2.25".

Add 2.5" for the catback, and it will be perfect, unless you are building for HP down the road.

6. Jul 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner

Products Discussed in

To Top