Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

losing MPG with a CAI?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
EZ's Black Taco
ez_money08 is on a distinguished road

ez_money08's Tacoma Gallery
losing MPG with a CAI?

I recently installed a TRD CAI. The increase in Horsepower is good, but my MPG went to hell. any suggestions on what might be going on?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Creedmoor Connections
carolinyens will become famous soon enough
carolinyens's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta be punching it all over the place. I know I had this problem when I first had this installed. But once you get used to it, it will help a little with mpg but dont expect a crazy increase in it.

Add this to your modifications
Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
you must be standing on the throttle pedal alot bc my truck is like that, but driving easy u should get relatively good mpg, but yours is a 4.0 so it might be different from my 3.4
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
EZ's Black Taco
ez_money08 is on a distinguished road

ez_money08's Tacoma Gallery
not really driving with much of a heavy foot. i will punch it now and then though cuz it sounds good. planning on a magnaflow exhaust and chip to recalibrate the speedo on trans shift points next
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_money08 View Post
not really driving with much of a heavy foot. i will punch it now and then though cuz it sounds good. planning on a magnaflow exhaust and chip to recalibrate the speedo on trans shift points next
did it give u a good sound?

and did u really feel the hp gain?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_money08 View Post
I recently installed a TRD CAI. The increase in Horsepower is good, but my MPG went to hell. any suggestions on what might be going on?
http://fuelsaving.info/power_economy.htm

Letting more air in means you can use more fuel, which is what's increasing the power.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
nurseboy has a spectacular aura aboutnurseboy has a spectacular aura about

nurseboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
first of all welcome to TW !

right off the top of my head
maybe you have been checking out the cool sounds a bit ( heavy foot)
or
as the old hot rod expression goes..no such thing as free horsepower

so to get the improved performance it means more fuel and air are going in= less mpg
is right. the more air you suck into the motor, the more fuel is needed. more HP but burn more gas.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
sjdm4211 is on a distinguished road
sjdm4211's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseboy View Post
is right. the more air you suck into the motor, the more fuel is needed. more HP but burn more gas.
I totally disagree, Less restriction means the engine doesn't work as hard sucking air in. You won't have to burn as much gas to get the same amount of HP out of the engine as before installing the CAI. Same thing goes for exhaust.

The OP's problem is obviously a lead foot.

My problem with a CAI is paying $250 plus to get 7 more HP out of my 2006 2.7. If I am only getting 7 HP how much improvement to my MPG could I possibly get.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
1. You may have gotten dirt on the MAF element which could throw off your mpg. Try cleaning it with electrical cleaner.

2. Inferior CAI's will disrupt the flow of air in a manner that throws the MAF a curve ball and could cause bad mpg.

In theory, you should be getting better mileage with the maf because of the increase in efficiency.