Notices

Is the ScanGauge II Worth it?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Is the ScanGauge II Worth it?

Hey guys,

I was thinking about picking up the ScanGauge II. As you all know, the gauges on 1st gen Tacomas are lacking. There are only 4 gauges, RPM, Speedo, Fuel, Engine Temp.

I found there to be a few options that would come in handy on the ScanGauge. I like to be able to keep track of other things going on in the vehicle. So I guess my question here is, before I drop the $160 or so, is it really worth it to buy the ScanGauge II? Is there something better out there?

-Brian

*This thread is worthless without pics!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiikeyD View Post
Yes. Check eBay first that's we're I got mine. (120-130$) I used it to check codes and monitor my mpg. It's a cool little addition to have. Unfortunately mine was stolen.
That sounds like a good deal. I know they have the package with the mount that goes above the rear view mirror for, I wanna say $170?? But I will check ebay first.

It's a shame someone stole yours, some people.... I recently caught someone trying to steal my motorcycle.... But I digress.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
The Green Machine
MiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MiikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
That sounds like a good deal. I know they have the package with the mount that goes above the rear view mirror for, I wanna say $170?? But I will check ebay first.

It's a shame someone stole yours, some people.... I recently caught someone trying to steal my motorcycle.... But I digress.
Try finding the SG first and then look for the mount separate on amazon. Just checked eBay and wow prices have gone up.. Looks like you should bid on this one though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ScanGuage-2-...3b6713&vxp=mtr
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
chewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Josh
chewingonabone's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked at the Ultragauge? Seems to do everything the scangauge 2 does at about half the price.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiikeyD View Post
Try finding the SG first and then look for the mount separate on amazon. Just checked eBay and wow prices have gone up.. Looks like you should bid on this one though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ScanGuage-2-...3b6713&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the link, gonna keep my eye on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewingonabone View Post
Have you looked at the Ultragauge? Seems to do everything the scangauge 2 does at about half the price.
No I haven't, i'm not even sure whats all out there, hence the reason for this thread. I'll check into the Ultragauge though thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Ck out Garmin Ecoroute. It does the same thing but through ur phone or garmin gps.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewingonabone View Post
I have the UG, and am reasonably happy with it, but it has some serious drawbacks over the SG.

First and foremost, if you mount it in any way where the cable is semi-permanent, you're stuck. The cable does not disconnect from the UG. Mine is mounted above my mirror and the cable routed under the headliner and down the A-Pillar.
If I were parking at the airport for a week and wanted to remove it and leave it at home, I'd have to pull the pillar cover and remove the entire cable.
Scangauge unplugs so you can take it with you every time you park. That's a BIG drawback on the UG because from the outside of the truck, it looks similar to a GPS.

Buttons are on the back, so you can't flush surface mount it. It has to be elevated above the mounting surface enough to get your fat fingers behind it.

Features....
I'm not aware of the features/limitations of the two devices on 1st-Gen, but on 2nd Gen, trans temp and some other readings are not available on the UG, but are on the SG.

Yes, the SG is 3x the price, but IMHO, it is a better unit and worth it.
Some day, I might upgrade mine to an SG and move the UG to my wife's Rav4.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Ck out Garmin Ecoroute. It does the same thing but through ur phone or garmin gps.
I'd rather have the device rather than use my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I have the UG, and am reasonably happy with it, but it has some serious drawbacks over the SG.

First and foremost, if you mount it in any way where the cable is semi-permanent, you're stuck. The cable does not disconnect from the UG. Mine is mounted above my mirror and the cable routed under the headliner and down the A-Pillar.
If I were parking at the airport for a week and wanted to remove it and leave it at home, I'd have to pull the pillar cover and remove the entire cable.
Scangauge unplugs so you can take it with you every time you park. That's a BIG drawback on the UG because from the outside of the truck, it looks similar to a GPS.

Buttons are on the back, so you can't flush surface mount it. It has to be elevated above the mounting surface enough to get your fat fingers behind it.

Features....
I'm not aware of the features/limitations of the two devices on 1st-Gen, but on 2nd Gen, trans temp and some other readings are not available on the UG, but are on the SG.

Yes, the SG is 3x the price, but IMHO, it is a better unit and worth it.
Some day, I might upgrade mine to an SG and move the UG to my wife's Rav4.

That pretty much made up my mind right there. I want to be able to detach it, I want to mount it flush if need be and I want to make use of all the features.

Case closed, I'm going with the ScanGauge.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Don't think the OBDII output refreshes fast enough for use as a primary speedo and tach for shifting etc.

How does a SGII compare to bluetooth OBDII adapter + Torque app for Android?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I like the Scangauge. It is more adaptable to different vehicles. You can program in settings that don't come pre-loaded, in case your vehicle uses more sensors that only its ECU sees but are no gauges for. The Ultragauge cannot do that.
There are a lot of gauges the UG can access that are not on the dash.
I routinely monitor the exact engine temp, and also the intake air temperature.
Oil pressure is one that it can't do, but I believe there is no linear OP sensor. Trans temp is available, but UG doesn't read it.

Now.. this is for 2nd Gen. I don't know what may be lacking in 1st Gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
Anybody know if the SG will monitor speed??
2nd Gen, absolutely. Once you get the unit calibrated it can replace your speedo, odo, and fuel gauge.

Of course, you'll need a GPS to calibrate any of these units.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I like the Scangauge. It is more adaptable to different vehicles. You can program in settings that don't come pre-loaded, in case your vehicle uses more sensors that only its ECU sees but are no gauges for. The Ultragauge cannot do that.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^Don't think the OBDII output refreshes fast enough for use as a primary speedo and tach for shifting etc.

How does a SGII compare to bluetooth OBDII adapter + Torque app for Android?
I never liked the idea of using my phone as one of these devices. Seems way too much trouble. I'd rather just buy something that has a dedicated purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
There are a lot of gauges the UG can access that are not on the dash.
I routinely monitor the exact engine temp, and also the intake air temperature.
Oil pressure is one that it can't do, but I believe there is no linear OP sensor. Trans temp is available, but UG doesn't read it.

Now.. this is for 2nd Gen. I don't know what may be lacking in 1st Gen.

2nd Gen, absolutely. Once you get the unit calibrated it can replace your speedo, odo, and fuel gauge.

Of course, you'll need a GPS to calibrate any of these units.
Ah good point, I forgot you were talking about a second gen. I wonder what is lacking with the first gens.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
rushr is on a distinguished road
rushr's Tacoma Gallery
The detachable cable is nice for using in multiple vehicles

The Scan Gauge does pretty much all the same in the 1st gen. I mostly use it for engine temp, voltage and trans temp.

In my wifes Explorer it just gets used to read error codes lol