Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Turndown: Before or After Axle

View Poll Results: Turndown Tip Location???
Before the axle 23 42.59%
After the axle 25 46.30%
Doesn't really matter! 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #21
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhite View Post
wheres the option for whistletips?
The whistle tips go woooooooo woooooooooo.
Is jus fo decoration, thas it and thas all.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #22
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
before
Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #23
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
that is how mine was and i had planned for this one but the tech was going to have to reweld my hangers anyways for it all to line up so i told him just to shorten it. less weight and less torque on the hangers. previously, there was a long gap on mine between the dump and the last hanger that allowed it to swing quite a bit.
Makes sense. I noticed that when I went to check under there. I currently only have two hangers (one right after the muffler outlet and then one near the tail pipe exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
I paid $100 out the door for my new piping and all the welding
I'm only looking at around $60ish plus tax. Hopefully it doesn't change when I bring it in on Monday.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #24
bigcuzauto is on a distinguished road
bigcuzauto's Tacoma Gallery
may hang on trail if before axle I would go after or better yet out the back unless there is a big block in your taco
Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Does cutting it after the axle cause any issues with the spare tire and heat from the exhaust being so close? I prefer the after the axle and plan on getting it done whe I put an exhaust on.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
Does cutting it after the axle cause any issues with the spare tire and heat from the exhaust being so close? I prefer the after the axle and plan on getting it done whe I put an exhaust on.
I haven't noticed any issues from exhaust heat at all. But the pipe is to the side of the tire, between it and the frame rail. Hard to tell from the pic but we cut the pipe so it extends below a majority of the tire yet not low enough to drag or be the lowest point.

The most appealing part to me is the sound. No drone what so ever at highway speed, yet deep and throaty at idle and acceleration. Cutting off the end of the tailpipe definitely changes how it sounds.

When I hear Ben's next week we can better compare the sound between before and after the hump as we have the same muffler.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #27
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
I was kinda wondering the same thing except for heat on the axle if it were dumped obviously in before it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
BUMP

Going in tomorrow. Just curious what your opinions are. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Depends on how loud you want it in the cab.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #30
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery

Before the Axle, Magnaflows sound great
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #31
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Whistletips!!! LMAO "They go Whoot WHOOOOT" HAHA
"They be up already makn they breakfast...They just a alarm clock"
Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #32
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody know about heat on the rear axle? I should make sure the exhaust isn't pointed "directly" at the axle, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Depends on how loud you want it in the cab.
I'm not too worried about the loudness from in the cab, just as long as it sounds good overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post

Before the Axle, Magnaflows sound great
That looks good man
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #33
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Final BUMPage

Going in this morning to get'er done
Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #34
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Mine got a hollow sound after chopping it after the axle.....prob because the sound is now hitting the ground and not out the side! There's slightly more drone compared to side exit but the closer to the cab you chop the more drone/vibration you'll get! Prob won't notice since magnaflows are not as loud as flowmaster IMO!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #36
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Thats how mine is just with a muffler swap! A 4.5" grinder and 30sec of work and its done!

Idle got quieter too but this is all with a super 44 so hard to say!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #37
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Prob won't notice since magnaflows are not as loud as flowmaster IMO!
Yea that's what I'm thinking too when comparing it to the Flowmaster I have now. Yours looks good though man!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #38
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Very good to know. Thanks.

And yea, it will be well enough past the rearmost window.

Thanks for the vote too! I was thinking of considering the angle of the turn down either way.

Just to direct the resonance more toward the back maybe. Idk.
I voted after the axle. I think if you make the turn down before the axle you will get more resonance inside of the cab.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Swapped the mufflers today

Went with the turn down tip before the axle. It sounds great. It's baby compared to the Flowmaster but still sounds good in the cab.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #40
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Swapped the mufflers today

Went with the turn down tip before the axle. It sounds great. It's baby compared to the Flowmaster but still sounds good in the cab.

Thats how mine was, you are gonna love that setup