Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Turndown: Before or After Axle

View Poll Results: Turndown Tip Location???
Before the axle 23 42.59%
After the axle 25 46.30%
Doesn't really matter! 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Turndown: Before or After Axle

EDIT: Went with before the axle. Sounds great!

I messed up when creating the poll and it'll be open for a month rather than a couple days like I wanted. Feel free to keep voting to help others out as well

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm swapping my Flowmaster 40 for a 14" Magnaflow on Monday.

I know I want to go with a turn down tip for a cleaner look, but not
sure if I should have it turned down before or after the axle

...or does it not matter at all?

Similar to 05RedTaco's (before the axle):

Similar to Voodoo's (after the axle):

Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the time it doesn't matter, however your local inspection law may say otherwise.

Other than inspection, it don't matter a whit.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Most of the time it doesn't matter, however your local inspection law may say otherwise.

Other than inspection, it don't matter a whit.
Thanks man.

Yea it just has to exit the passenger cab by 6". I wasn't sure if there were some things to keep in mind when dumping it like this.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
On oahu, the rule is that it has to exit after the rearmost operating window of the vehicle. At least thats what I was told at the Recon station. (on oahu you need to get a vecehicle reconstrucion permit after certain mods are done, similar in theory to a construction inspection for a house)
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
And i voted for after the axle. Furthest from the cab for less noise and fumes.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
On oahu, the rule is that it has to exit after the rearmost operating window of the vehicle. At least thats what I was told at the Recon station. (on oahu you need to get a vecehicle reconstrucion permit after certain mods are done, similar in theory to a construction inspection for a house)
Very good to know. Thanks.

And yea, it will be well enough past the rearmost window.

Quote:
And i voted for after the axle. Furthest from the cab for less noise and fumes.
Thanks for the vote too! I was thinking of considering the angle of the turn down either way.

Just to direct the resonance more toward the back maybe. Idk.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
wth is a junior member?

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Very good to know. Thanks.

And yea, it will be well enough past the rearmost window.

Thanks for the vote too! I was thinking of considering the angle of the turn down either way.

Just to direct the resonance more toward the back maybe. Idk.
I've had turndowns before and the sound still resonates, its worse actually since it bounces off of the ground and goes back up into the vehicle. That was in an grand cherokee and a mustang. Well, your cab may not see much difference since its not connected to the bed. Why don't you want it sticking out of the stock location? Going for stealthiness?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Just have them use the stock tail pipe, but cut it right after the axle.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I like it before the axle.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why don't you want it sticking out of the stock location? Going for stealthiness?
My current tip sits really low compared to the body and is a 3" chrome slanted tip. So yea pretty much trying to ditch that setup and going with the stealthiness and cleaner look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Just have them use the stock tail pipe, but cut if right after the axle.
That's an idea. I'll consider it. Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Before the axle. Dump it. Loud noises.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I like it before the axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Before the axle. Dump it. Loud noises.
Comparing it to the Flowmaster 40 muffler, you think whichever way it gets installed before or after the axle it would still sound/perform better than the FM in general?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
superwhite is on a distinguished road
Name: sean
superwhite's Tacoma Gallery
wheres the option for whistletips?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
big difference in the week ive had my magnaflow. dumped before the axle.
I'm excited to switch mine can't wait til Monday! I hope I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
After... and yes.
Thanks. I think the way yours is setup just cutting the stock pipe after the axle would be the cheapest route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhite View Post
Whistletips??

EDIT: Nevermind
Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
i vote after
Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
i vote after
I hope you don't mind me using yours as a reference
Old 08-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
I hope you don't mind me using yours as a reference
not at all! FWIW I love mine after the axle. I get no drone or fumes as well as it passed inspection.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhite View Post
Flamethrowers.. PLEASE NO!!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
More Cowbell!

VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
that is how mine was and i had planned for this one but the tech was going to have to reweld my hangers anyways for it all to line up so i told him just to shorten it. less weight and less torque on the hangers. previously, there was a long gap on mine between the dump and the last hanger that allowed it to swing quite a bit.
I paid $100 out the door for my new piping and all the welding