Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Lazy lazy 4 cylinder

Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Meangene is on a distinguished road
Meangene's Tacoma Gallery
Lazy lazy 4 cylinder

Hey guys I'm new here so go easy.. I have a k&n air ntake kit installed. 33 inch tires and I have to down shift going up hill on the interstate that an automatic wouldn't even down shift on. I am getting around 17 or 18 miles to the gallon. I want more power and mileage. Looking for reasonable mods to get there. It's a 2.7 liter toyota Tacoma 4x4...
Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
With the lift and tires, it sounds like you are getting good mileage. It is a 4-banger, not a V-8.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
I have a friend getting 19 an 20 with identical truck. It just seems real lazy
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meangene View Post
33 inch tires and I have to down shift going up hill on the interstate that an automatic wouldn't even down shift on.
Yup.

Quote:
I am getting around 17 or 18 miles to the gallon.
Yup.

Quote:
I want more power and mileage.
Don't we all.

Quote:
Looking for reasonable mods to get there. It's a 2.7 liter toyota Tacoma 4x4...
Regear, Supercharge, or take the tires back off.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I have a friend getting 19 an 20 with identical truck. It just seems real lazy
Is he also on 33 inch tires? Do you drive exactly the same roads daily? Is he gentler on the skinny pedal than you? Etc.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Supercharging a truck with 200,000 miles isn't a goit idea tho huh and probably expensive..
Old 08-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Supercharging a truck with 200,000 miles isn't a goit idea tho huh and probably expensive..
Your only realistic options to improve power are forced inducation and regearing. Both are expensive. Everything else (like your K/N intake) just makes noise and does nothing for power.

Bigger tires have the same effect as gearing your vehicle upward. Sorry, but you can't beat physics.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys I'm new here so go easy.. I have a k&n air ntake kit installed. 33 inch tires and I have to down shift going up hill on the interstate that an automatic wouldn't even down shift on. I am getting around 17 or 18 miles to the gallon. I want more power and mileage. Looking for reasonable mods to get there. It's a 2.7 liter toyota Tacoma 4x4...
^There is your power loss, also you are a 4x4, that adds more weight and geared differently. If you are really concerned about gas mileage, run stock tires. Downshifting is normal, 5th has no power for climbing.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
No way your going to get more power out of the I4 without dropping major cash.
Just be happy with what you got or sell it and get a v6. Adding huge tires and a lift will of course effect your MPGs.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
my reg cab wasnt a slouch with 285's... but i had a 5 speed, and it came with 4:10's.. i get better mileage with my DCSB TRD OR Auto with 285's as it is 3:73 geared and the v6 doesnt work double overtime to move the 285's..
Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
So you have a 4 cylinder with 33" tires, and you want both more mileage and more power??
Old 08-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
LOL wut.. sell it and buy a V6 if you want power. you cant have power and mpg.. you give one up for the other.

I get 16-18 mpg and have plenty of power.