Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flex pod doesn't fit 2011?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Flex pod doesn't fit 2011?

I recently got a Flex Pod mount and it doesn't fit on my 2011 steering column. The bracket that screws to the column is just too short.

For those who have the flex pod did the holes line right up?

The directions mention to "finagle" the bracket to fit in the recessed holes, but I couldn't even use a screw driver to pry them in alignment.

This photo was taken with the other side screwed into the recessed hole. It just doesn't reach...

On Cravenspeed's website they have a picture of the installation and you can see the bracket follows the curve of the steering column, but my photo above they aren't close to lining up.

What's up with this
Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered from URD and have been in contact w/ Gadget. I was originally disappointed with the flex pod I received b/c it no longer uses set screws to hold the gauges. The flex pod now uses a backplate which doesn't work w/ the autometer and DM-100 I purchased...they supply little pads so you can squeeze the gauge in only holding it by resistance. Seems ghetto to hold the gauges that way considering how expensive the flex pod is.

Gadget told me I could send it back and I replied I would like to especially after I discovered the flex pod not fitting the steering column. I sent him the email w/ this photo attached but I haven't heard back in a couple days now. I'm not sure if he's trying to find answers before responding.

Hopefully I'll be in contact soon and figure this out. I would rather use the flex pod vs. a-pillar pods but I see no other option now.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
got an email back from Gadget. He says they should all fit even the 2011. He thinks it may have been packaged wrong so I'm sending back the bracket so they can match it to the other ones they have.

stay tuned...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Hope this works out. I was close on pulling the trigger on the FlexPod on my 2011. Looking forward to hearing your results so I can go ahead with my purchase. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #7

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sending the bracket back today. Hopefully next week I'll hear back when they match it up to the other flex pods....see if I was sent the wrong one
Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
aportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of light
EMS:
Name: Austin
aportis72's Tacoma Gallery
Dude you have the gauge mounts on backwards I did the same thing at first.

They no longer use screws to hold the gauges in. It comes with two back plates to allow you mount the gauge the way it was intended to be mounted. 2 screws in the back
Old 08-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
the pod mounts are backwards in the pic I know. the issue is the bracket not fitting the steering column.

the new backplates don't allow clearance for the prongs to power the LEDs inside my autometer gauge, and the PLX DM-100 is a tiny electric gauge that doesnt have the studs like normal gauges. it is less than ideal for the gauges I chose, the old style would have worked better for my gauges.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
aportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of light
EMS:
There you go
http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/...nting-Kit.html
50mm uses back screws
60 and 66mm use set screws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJG1a...layer_embedded

watch the video and do exactly as it says

It fits my 2012 just fine FYI
Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #11

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
this video is exactly what is misleading about the product. they do not use set screws any more. where does it say 66mm uses the set screws?

the user SManZ has 52mm flex pod and it uses set screws
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post1509296

again, the issue is the bracket not fitting to the steering column. I wish I had set screws for my 52mm like SManZ does, but there's nothing I can do about that.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
EMS:
in the picture on the website it shows it and no he doesnt have set screws look at the picture on his build
Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #13

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
this picture has the pods on their side, you cannot see the holes simply cause of the angle. there are only two set screw holes

even in their PDF install instructions they are using set screw pods for illustration yet they tell you to use the back plate.

yes SManZ has 52mm set screw pods. I've talked to him many times thru PM's ever since I got my s/c. He was the reason I got the flex pod.

you can take a closer look in another thread SManZ made
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ompatible.html

and here you can see why I don't like the new back plates. I will have to dremel out a hole for the LED prongs. it's just ghetto considering how expensive the flex pod is

again here you can see the DM-100 is a small gauge and the set screws would work better
Old 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
EMS:
use a dremil and cut down the back plat to fit no problem there. Have you been able to get the mount to fit?

I was wrong he does have set screws haha.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #15

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
I was sent the wrong bracket.

after sending the bracket back, lots of emails and a phone call, URD remembered to check their mailbox and sent me another bracket. they apologized and all is well, I just wished this process would have been handled more promptly. I placed my order for this flexpod on July 24th and was processed July 25. Aug 20th I received the corrected bracket.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
^^do you need the backplate to install or can you use the rubber pads for friction fit? looking @ this for interceptor gauges...
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Flexpod in my 2011 lined up good but I had other issues. The bracket that mounts to the steering wheel rubbed so i had to take apart the wheel and sand the back of the steering wheel down to stop it from contacting. Here's what I had to do

ok, got it all taken apart, sanded down, put back together, and now it rides like a dream :top:

heres what i had to do:

1. remove both torx bits on both sides of the steering wheel

2. gently pull of the airbag and cover

3. disconnect steering wheel volume controls, horn wire, and airbag wires and take off the center spline nut.

4. sand down the back of the steering wheel where it was just BARELY touching

5. give her a test fit and remerse the above steps!

6. install guages and enjoy!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #18
____livevil____
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
Flexpod in my 2011 lined up good but I had other issues. The bracket that mounts to the steering wheel rubbed so i had to take apart the wheel and sand the back of the steering wheel down to stop it from contacting. Here's what I had to do

ok, got it all taken apart, sanded down, put back together, and now it rides like a dream :top:

heres what i had to do:

1. remove both torx bits on both sides of the steering wheel

2. gently pull of the airbag and cover

3. disconnect steering wheel volume controls, horn wire, and airbag wires and take off the center spline nut.

4. sand down the back of the steering wheel where it was just BARELY touching

5. give her a test fit and remerse the above steps!

6. install guages and enjoy!
Revival!

Installed by flexpod and have the rubbing issue. Nice write up, exactly what I was looking for.. Will be doing this this weekend.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #19
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
Revival!

Installed by flexpod and have the rubbing issue. Nice write up, exactly what I was looking for.. Will be doing this this weekend.
Just also ensure to disconnect the battery also just to be safe with the airbag
Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
____livevil____
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
Just also ensure to disconnect the battery also just to be safe with the airbag
definitely