Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

30k miles. Fluid swap to synthetic question.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
30k miles. Fluid swap to synthetic question.

So I'd like to swap EVERYTHING over to synthetic, as stated I've got 30,000 miles on the truck. Do I need to do a flush of everything to get the full benefit? Also, what does the dealership charge for doing a full fluids swap? Is it worth it?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly i would diy. Its super easy. You can change both your engine oil and diff fluids but leave your trans fluid alone unless you use world standard which is toyota only but is a synthetic. No need for a flush. Dealer would charge around 50 or so bucks plus tax for an engine oil change. I dont know how much for a diff fluid change but it might be more
Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
Honestly i would diy. Its super easy. You can change both your engine oil and diff fluids but leave your trans fluid alone unless you use world standard which is toyota only but is a synthetic. No need for a flush. Dealer would charge around 50 or so bucks plus tax for an engine oil change. I dont know how much for a diff fluid change but it might be more
x2, DIY and leave the transmission on stock fluids. Just drain and refill. Modern synthetics play well with their dino counterparts so no need to do a 'flush'.

If I had to take an educated guess, I'd guess the dealership will most likely charge in the neighborhood of $100/axle for the differentials.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well, the 30k service from toyota covered front and rear axles, transfer case, air filter, spark plugs and engine oil......575. Definitely going to do this myself. I need to do the breather mod on my rear dif anyway. Any recommendations on spark plugs? I think royal purple makes differential oil dont they? Never used it before but I've heard good things. Also heard great things about mobil 1 too though...decisions decisions.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Well, the 30k service from toyota covered front and rear axles, transfer case, air filter, spark plugs and engine oil......575. Definitely going to do this myself. I need to do the breather mod on my rear dif anyway. Any recommendations on spark plugs? I think royal purple makes differential oil dont they? Never used it before but I've heard good things. Also heard great things about mobil 1 too though...decisions decisions.
Wholly Sheit!!! $575

Diff/x-fer case oils - $110
Engine oil - $25
Oil Filter - $5
Plugs - $20
Air filter - $20
Cabin Air Filter - $10

Total = $190, call it $250 just for argument's sake. This is why I don't trust dealerships.

I hope they at least gave you a reach while you got bent over the service counter.

As far as oils, Mobil makes a good gear oil also. I think I used Valvoline last time I did mine.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dealerships always try and rape people and the bad part is a bunch of people pay for it!! You can do the 30K service yourself without any issues. Even if you dont do it all at once you can spread it out and take your time.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
The price isn't too extreme considering shop labor is over $100/hr pretty much everywhere you go nowadays. The question is how valuable is your time? If you have the time to DIY it then you can save some money.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Duck Fan
SalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SalemCBR's Tacoma Gallery
Its not a secret that they make a profit there....

Yo.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
The price isn't too extreme considering shop labor is over $100/hr pretty much everywhere you go nowadays. The question is how valuable is your time? If you have the time to DIY it then you can save some money.
The price is very extreme... You or I could walk into the dealership and purchase all the parts for around $200. You honestly think it takes them 3 hours and 45 minutes to perform the work?? It doesn't even take me that long and I don't have a lift. If you're proficient, that's a 2 hour process at most.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Purveyor of Fun

I can do it all, never done plugs before though. I have a Volant CAI so the stock airbox is gone, and they're right there easy to get to. Shouldn't be too bad. Just gotta find a walkthrough which I'm sure is on here.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can do it all, never done plugs before though. I have a Volant CAI so the stock airbox is gone, and they're right there easy to get to. Shouldn't be too bad. Just gotta find a walkthrough which I'm sure is on here.
DIY's for most of the 30k mile maintenance is here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mods-more.html

How to change spark plugs:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
Old 08-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Purveyor of Fun

Thanks Mike, much appreciated. Looks like I'll be getting dirty sometime soon. The best part? I finally have an excuse to buy a torque wrench.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Mike, much appreciated. Looks like I'll be getting dirty sometime soon. The best part? I finally have an excuse to buy a torque wrench.
Hell yeah! Any excuse to buy tools

Remember to keep the oil containers. Most Auto parts stores will take it back and recycle it.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Purveyor of Fun

I did not know that.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if it's Fed or State, but in California, any retail establishment that sells more than "X" quarts per week must accept used oil and filters at no charge.
I think it is an EPA fed law.

Some will actually pay you if you bring it in "leave there" containers like your old 5-qt oil jugs. I don't bother asking... I'll just walk in with 3 or 4 jugs and dump them into their can. I was leaving them for a while, but Costco had a sale on 6-packs of M1 for $26 so now that I'm back to quart bottles for the next year or two, I need to keep the jugs.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Smile fluid swap

i did my own. used amsoil gear lube in tranny and diff. 5w-30 in motor. easy to do.