Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

N/A vs TRD S/C

Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #21
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
In the end though, my buddy is getting a Pro Charger on his 06 GTO and it will probably be faster than any X Runner on XRU.:stirpot:
I used to eat those guys up with my 4200 lb. N/A Charger
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
I used to eat those guys up with my 4200 lb. N/A Charger
He used to run 11.5 in the quarter with 100 shot of nitrous, convertor, tune, catless mids, Magnaflow mufflers, JBA shorties and slicks.Under $5000 to get into the 11s is pretty cool in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Haha. Might just squeeze past..... lol
What's the fastest quarter the guys are putting down?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #26
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ah. The new car only has long tubes for now until he gets the Pro Charger. Then it will get a tune and 50 shot for down low.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I don't doubt it. For a 4R, that is a really good time. For an XR......it is as well, but not when in the same field as other 'sports' vehicles.
I was referring to the GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
He used to run 11.5 in the quarter with 100 shot of nitrous, convertor, tune, catless mids, Magnaflow mufflers, JBA shorties and slicks.Under $5000 to get into the 11s is pretty cool in my book.
Sure - but my point was really that a properly set up N/A vehicle can run with the FI crowd in some cases.

Here's a shakedown run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5RBr...layer_embedded
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
Sure - but my point was really that a properly set up N/A vehicle can run with the FI crowd in some cases.

Here's a shakedown run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5RBr...layer_embedded
Well of course you can do anything with enough money. Horsepower is just a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Nice run!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #29
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
When calculating the cost of an N/A build, you need to add the X1 or UCON to the cost. You'll notice that all of the guys running good N/A numbers have the X1 (which also changes cam timing). All of those parts, without an X1 or UCON would probably be hardly noticeable in power gains. It's the tuning that brings it all together.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #31
TRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
TRD2006's Tacoma Gallery
I want the TRD supercharger, but IMO nothing is better that RAW v8 horsepower and not having the use of nitrous or turbo or superchargers.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #32
bongwhisperer is on a distinguished road
bongwhisperer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7racing View Post
I always thought the best bang for your buck as only way to get noticeable performance increase was through boost. But after searching extensively it seems you can get around 35-40 more rwhp with intake, headers, exhaust, and URD maf cal. This would set me back around $1200 total. A TRD charger gets you 63 rwhp, I think?? And that would prob run $4,200 before taxes. I'd be pretty happy with 35-40 more hp for just over a grand.

I don't think you would get that gain even if you had all of the above that you just mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPgcIGOsIhQ
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #33
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
There is a dyno in this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...os-w-mods.html, with that exact setup plus nst pulleys and he pulls 241 rwhp. Stock is 190-200 so seems like you can. Only variable there is the nst pulleys, how much do those help?

Any ways I just placed an order for my headers, intake and maf cal. I'll give a honest opionion of these mods and let you guys know if it's worth it or not.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #35
So far I've got the intake and maf cal on. I did the intake first and drove around for a day, noticed much better throttle response with smudge more top end pull. With the maf cal it now pulls harder all the way through the rpm's, really impressed with this. Gonna put the headers on tonight.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #36
Finished headers up, for as easy as the passenger side goes on the driver side makes up for it ten fold. What a bitch!! Overall took about 2.5 hrs and was actually pretty fun. It's def faster than stock now throughout the rpm range, with most notable gains above 3k as expected. I'm happy, can't wait to go rip the sand dunes!!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #38
2009, I would be interested in getting a dyno and looked into it to do a before and after. Unfortunately I live in Humboldt county and the nearest one is about 200 miles away. I might do it around Xmas when I'm in SoCal for a couple weeks.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #40
So I've gotten a lot more seat time with these mods now. All this talk about loosing low end power is comical. Power is drastically increased throughout. I was driving a curvy mountain road and the difference in power while in third gear between 2-3k is amazing. In 6th gear I can maintain 75 up a steep highway grade with ease, before I would slow to around 65 by the top of the grade.
I also did some pulls next to my buddies 07, we are both six speeds, I have 285/75/16's while he's on 265/70/17, he used to blow the doors off my truck, now I'm pulling him.