Notices

ScanGauge Reviews - Good, Bad, and Ugly

Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Roggs01
roggs01 will become famous soon enoughroggs01 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: MSgt
roggs01's Tacoma Gallery
ScanGauge Reviews - Good, Bad, and Ugly

Thinking about buying a ScanGauge II and wanted feedback from those that already have one.... Looking for usability, install, and overall opinion.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i have one, and i looked at it for the first month or so, now i barely notice it there, except to look at the engine temp to know when the heat is ready.

Mine dosent seem to want to keep the correct info for setting the mpg and such. No biggie, like i said i dont use it..Im actually thinking of selling it, but I dont have another din pocket to replace the one its put in
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I considered one but it won't tell some of the things i wanted. I was looking for oil pressure and I could not find info to suggest that it would on the Tacome, on some other vehicles I think it will however.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Its good and the easiest thing you will install. Does quite a bit
Old 01-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for about 1.5 years now. It's a neat little gadget and definately worth the money.

The one thing that somewhat ticks me off about it.... When I was researching about it, they said they were working on transmission temps. They made me (and everyone else) believe that the tranny temps were coming within a couple months. I would call and they even told me they had prototypes being tested on the roads. So now, no transmision temps. Something about 'they can't access accurate information from the toyota computer'...... Just seems odd they kept promising and promising something that never came. They got me on the hook to buy their product and I'm wondering if all the transmission temp promises were 'all talk' and they were never planning on doing it.

What can you expect? I'm a consumer.... and when you promise something and make us believe it'll happen - then it dies. What are we supposed to think?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine. I monitor MPG, Voltage, Speed, and RPM -- works for what I need it for...
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and love it. I hope I don't crash while messing with it.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
It has worked great for me and really helps alot when I am trying to max. my fuel economy as well as watching the water temp when its really hot out.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one and I use it to watch instant MPG and how many miles until empty. I wish I could put those both on the same "view"!

Anyway, was it really worth $150 just for those two things? Probably not. But, I bought one and I'm not sorry. Plus, I can research engine codes should I ever get one. And if I ever learn what the other values mean, that would probably be a good thing too.

FWIW, I think Toyota could very easily add the two items I care about (instant MPG and miles til empty) to the odometer display. If they did that, I probably wouldn't have bought one.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
FWIW, I think Toyota could very easily add the two items I care about (instant MPG and miles til empty) to the odometer display. If they did that, I probably wouldn't have bought one.
True, they'd probably add it to a "package" then charge $500 for it.

OT, I waited to buy mine reading the posts here on the gauge & decided to splurge & buy it. After reading the manual, calibrating it, etc. I think it was a good investment. It told me my right foot was my worst mpg enemy & I dislike my towing mileage
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
so how have you adjusted your driving habits to get better MPG?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
you notice on instant mpg when it says 2.6 mpg to take your foot of the pedal a little bit.

Its a great tool for any vehicle.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Keep under 2k rpms
As far as towing, there is no adjusting other than not tow especially in winter. Next season trail access cabin
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #17
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
I bought one and I use it to watch instant MPG and how many miles until empty. I wish I could put those both on the same "view"!
Using the X-gauge,you can do this.It's in the back of the booklet under trip features. There's a list of codes to plug in.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #19
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
I moved gal. till empty into the gauge display.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
what is the install like for a scanguage2?? im thinking of getting one for my 04.