1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger or Not

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by MJ slasher, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Aug 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    MJ slasher

MJ slasher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    20% tint all around, Bug Shield, painted (Not dipped) badges, roof rack, step tubes. TRD Supercharger
    I own a 2012 TX Pro Double Cab SB. I have owned a few other Tacos, and will continue to drive them, as long as I can afford it. At this rate that may not be much longer.

Anyway, this is about my TX Pro. I have started to mod it some. 20% tint all around, Derped the badges and now looking at the SC. I have been looking at the SC for over a year. Sorry to say I dont want to spend this money on Bilsteins and a lift, not what Im looking for. I know some like to debate SC or Lift.

The question is this - My local Toyota Deal offered me the SC, Fit Kit and install for $4900, after tax. Im not interested in buying the SC and kit from Ebay to save $200. I would rather get it from the stealership to make sure it is for sure covered if it breaks, no questions asked.

Does that sound like a good price total?

Another concern - My dealership has only done one other SC install, it was on a Tundra. I called 4 dealerships in Columbus and none of them have done a Tacoma.
    Is that a concern?

Do you think its worth the money? If you have it to waste?
    Should I also put on the cold air intake at the same time, or will it really matter?

Last Question, sorry for the long post.
    I keep reading that an Auto Tranny, once a SC is installed, needs a "Valve Body Upgrade"? Cost is about $600. Is that really needed and is my transmission in danger if I put on a SC without this Valve Body outfit? I know nothing about this .
    Thanks Guys. I have learned a lot from this site.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Darthyota

Darthyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Blown BSP X-Runner
    TRD s/c @ 9lbs, Unobtanium Welding 321SS Full Race Exhaust, B&M s/s, TRD 1st Gen CAI, sittin sic track ready drop, TSW Tanka's with 275/40/18's all the way around, 4300k hid's in headlights and fogs, with more to come
    the sc comes with very complete instructions that almost anyone with some mechanical abilities could follow. the price if its the installed price is pretty good as i paid 4000 for my sc and fit kit plus like 200 in shipping to get it here. then i had paid to get it installed so 4900 to me right from the stealer is a pretty good deal. you dont need a valve body upgrade. some guys do it because they want a firmer crisper shift but its not needed for just the stock sc

3. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    20% tint all around, Bug Shield, painted (Not dipped) badges, roof rack, step tubes. TRD Supercharger
    Thanks for responding. The dealer is pretty good to me, Its $4970 tax included.
    I talked to the Service Manager and his Lead Tech, they sounded very confident that install would not be an issue.

What can you tell me about your SC? From what I can see not many people have the SC, there are thousands of Tacomas sold each year in my area and none of the 4 dealers here have installed a SC on Tacoma.

I have read the stats, watched the You Tube Videos etc. Im curious about overall performance and if the boost is substantial, or just minor?

What about TRD Cold Air Intake? Will it really get me anything if I install it with a SC? Will there still be a sound increase and small power boost?

Have you ran your truck in teh quarter? 0 - 60 in?
    Sorry for the questions. I just want to make sure I gather all of the info before I spend $5k on one bolt on mod.

I am really interested in what a SC owner has to say about their truck.

4. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    A cold air intake won't yield much in the way of power returns but it is one of those things where if I were to get a SC, I'd get the CAI at the same time, just because. It'll clean up your engine bay quite nicely. Makes everything easier to get to without the giant stock airbox. I love the sound of my CAI, and with a supercharger whine, it'd be that much cooler. All about the BRAAAAAAAAAPPPP!

5. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Pretty simple.

Do you want reliability?

6. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    05toyotacoma

05toyotacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Super Sexy Silver
    3" Suspension Lift, K&N Cold Air, MagnaFlow exhaust, Spyder-Halo's, Black Billet Grille
    I have been looking at getting a SC for my 4 banger for some time now. Underdog Racing Developement has the complete package for $4500. so if your dealer is doing it all for 4900, thats pretty good. As far as URD, it's a rotrex SC and ive heard alot of good things about that brand. I only mention it because their site has a taco with it installed, dyno's, and info on the product. Good luck on your choice.
    Would love to see/hear how it turns out!

7. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    Of course. What about reliability? Are you saying the SC may cause my truck to have issues? From what I have researched the TRD Supercharger installed by Toyota seems to be error free and no more trouble than my stock truck.

Is that not really the case?

My truck has a 100,000 mile warranty, the SC has at least 60,000 mile on its own.

8. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    I will for sure update this thread with before and after Pics and Info, if I proceed.
    I wont be able to sleep at night for dropping $5k. Its a lot of money to hear that whine and get 68 HP. But, I think it is the missing piece on my Taco and would make the truck perfect.

But The Grass is always Greener.

9. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I strongly believe it will lower your reliability. Our engine is built from Toyota to be naturally aspirated. Forced induction engines are built stronger. Stronger rods, forged cranks, beefy parts. Being such a new truck, I doubt you'll have any issues for a while, of yore easy on the truck. But keep on mind forced induction adds a lot more stress to all the moving parts of the engine.

10. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    I have ran the following kits

URD MK1 on my old 07 X-runner
    URD MKII Stage 3 on my X-runner
    TRD S/C on my current 07 DC 4x4

After running the Stage 3 URD kit on the X, the TRD S/C out of the box, for me, was not all that impressive. It is a nice little punch in the seat from the launch, but I fell that is kind of fell on its face in the upper RPMs.

I currently run the TRD S/C with the following additions

- APR X-1 ( cannot get it any longer, but the UCON from URD is an upgrade to it anyway)
    - Dough Thorley Long Tube Headers
    - URD 3" Catback
    - 2.85" pulley
    - TRD Gen 1 intake

I am happy with this setup on the 4x4. I have plenty of low end torque and the added breathing really opened up the top end. It doesnt make the raw power that the X did ( 408 rwhp), but it still fun to drive

You will enjoy the truck much more with the blower installed. Just hit up URD for the add ons down the road to really bring it to life.

My truck has 50K on it with 20K S/C. The blower has 40k on it ( I swapped the URD setup for it when I sold the X) and everything runs like new.

I did the install myself and with the APR x-1 I do not have a TRD reflash, so I can take it all off and put it right back to stock

Go for it, you will enjoy it. As far as waranty goes, if the dealer installs it, it is covered by your 3 yr 60 K powertrain. If you install it, its 1 year on the parts, and they would have to prove that the blower caused you problems to deny warranty

good luck

Justin

11. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    This is my fear as well. It cant be good for this engine. I drive my truck easy, so I think it will last me to 100,000 miles. I drive 20,000 a year. At 100,000 I would sell it anyway.

12. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    Thanks for the info. What does installing the smaller pulley do to my warranty? Lots of people recommend this pulley upgrade.

Does the smaller Pulley add noticeable difference in power?
    Say I install the SC and like the boost.
    Then later, install the smaller pulley, will I notice a difference from adding that pulley? How much?

13. Aug 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    Taqoma

Taqoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, Camburg LT, Fox 2.5x8 coilovers, Fox 2.0 bumps, Deaver e30 leafs, Fox 3.0x18 triples, Avid sliders, Yaesu 2900R, Pro Comp 7089 16x8, DDM 55w HID Hella 500FF, DDM 35w HID headlights, Magnaflow 11255 muffler, PLX DM-100 OBDII, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost gauge, Flex Pod gauge mount, LSK tube bumper, McNeil fenders, Fiberwerx bedsides, 285/75/16 Toyo MT's
    I say shop around. I got my s/c w/ fit kit brand new sealed in box for $3250 on craigslist. stolen? maybe...dealership didn't ask or really care, they figure it was from ebay. called a few dealers and some wanted as much as 1700-2200 for install. laughed it off until I found a dealer to do it for $650 otd with all new coolant (since they forgot to save the old stuff). $3900 total. dealership finished in a single day, install, ECU flash and test drive. they claimed to have done many times.

$1000 less than what you were offered, not a mere $200.

the smaller pulley will void your warranty which is the whole reason to have the dealer install it. URD has said they will make a black looking one so it appears stock. I believe it increases your boost from ~6psi to ~10psi.

14. Aug 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    I have a 5 year, 100,000 mile extended bumper to bumper warranty. I assume the SC takes on this warranty. So it should be covered to 100,000, just like the rest of my truck.

Toyota hasnt been clear on this. The SC has a 60,000 mile warranty, or the balance of your power train. My original power train was 60,000 miles, but I upgraded for $1600 to 100,000 5 year bumper to bumper, I assume the SC gets added into that mix, not the original 60,000.
    Who knows.

15. Aug 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged

That was a great price on your SC> Im sure Craigslist here has no TRD SC, but I will look. They are listed on Ebay for $3850, but I dont think the $350 kit is included.

From my math it seems as if the dealer is charging me about $3900 for the SC and Fit Kit, $700 for install and the remainder in state sales tax.

16. Aug 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Taqoma

Taqoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, Camburg LT, Fox 2.5x8 coilovers, Fox 2.0 bumps, Deaver e30 leafs, Fox 3.0x18 triples, Avid sliders, Yaesu 2900R, Pro Comp 7089 16x8, DDM 55w HID Hella 500FF, DDM 35w HID headlights, Magnaflow 11255 muffler, PLX DM-100 OBDII, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost gauge, Flex Pod gauge mount, LSK tube bumper, McNeil fenders, Fiberwerx bedsides, 285/75/16 Toyo MT's
    performing the install should take X-hours in the Toyota tech book thing...and say you pay the guy $100/hr, he should have that done in 7hrs then. dont let them hold it over night with their stories, or else you should pay less

trdparts4u.com has the sc and fit kit for 3890 free shipping if you can score a deal on the install
    http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8333

I watched my s/c on craigslist for a month...he started at 3800 and eventually went down to 3500 and I offered 3250, done deal.

17. Aug 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    Darthyota

Darthyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Blown BSP X-Runner
    TRD s/c @ 9lbs, Unobtanium Welding 321SS Full Race Exhaust, B&M s/s, TRD 1st Gen CAI, sittin sic track ready drop, TSW Tanka's with 275/40/18's all the way around, 4300k hid's in headlights and fogs, with more to come
    the trd supercharger will not change the reliability of your truck, Toyota wouldn't sell something that will lower your reliability, now will changing the stock supercharger setup possibly reduce reliability yes if its not done right. hell there's lots of guys out there with over 100000miles on their tacomas running well over the stock 7lbs of boost that the trd supercharger provides

18. Aug 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    You are wrong, plain and simple. A supercharger will be extra wear and tear on your engine. It's a fact. It's what "FORCED" induction does.

Not going to fight about it with you. You're just going to keep posting and beaking until your post count gets reset.

19. Aug 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    Still look for info on the 2.85" pulley.

How much power does adding the 2.85" pulley give me?
    Does the 2.85" pulley cancel out my warranty for the engine or a portion of the engine?

I mean if adding this pulley results in 3 - 5 HP thats cool, but not attractive enough for me to piss of Toyota when I need service under warranty.

If we are talking 12 - 15 HP then that is interesting.

I assume Toyota TRD offers an upgraded pulley that serves this same purpose. No?

Maybe I am using the wrong terms here, maybe a pulley cant generate HP, but more revolutions per second must have some benefit. Not sure what.

20. Aug 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    Hipespipes

Hipespipes Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Modesto CA
    Stock for now
    I'm thinking about doing the s/c as well on my 2012 so keep us posted. I build turbo hayabusas as a side hobby and rule of thumb is ever psi you put in is about 11hp. Not to sure if it's the same on the Tacoma or not. The current busa in the shop made 352hp and 212tq on 12psi on pump gas.

Products Discussed in

To Top