Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

exhaust re-routing pictures?

Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #41
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
On his dyno, it didn't show any negative effects on his low end. Although, being an Auto you cannot see below the 3k range. It did pick up a lot as the RPMs increased though. A significant amount. For N/A, headers and Y pipe with stock sized catback is a great combination to keep the scavenging velocity up.

Once a larger catback is installed, that is when it really shifts the torque curve. That is when more power out of the engine is necessary to take advantage of the added flow capacity, and bring it back forward.

I promise you, his headers, URD Y, plus TRD Gen1, larger T.B., and X-1 has plenty of low end tq. Plenty.

Also, by the routing which is clearly visible in Super Werty's pictures, it routes the exhaust away from the U-joints. No cooking.

It does route it under the trans, so depending on how rough one is off-road, a strong skid might be needed to protect that area. I am reminded of Colinb's transmission skid right now. Crazy heavy blasted cut me. Lol.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #43
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
haha, thanks for the winded response man! My truck goes in for diagnosis of my motor issues on wed. pending what happens and what they find out i'll be looking to do a proper Y like URD and since I'm a manual i've got lots of room between the trans and the skid plate without the auto pan in there. Im still all stock size pipe from the y back so from what it sounds like from you I should be ok deleting the #2 cats and keeping it the way i've got it back out. I really wish URD made the equal length headers for the air injection model motors!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #44
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
enough to peel out of EVERY corner at msr. I needs LSD bad.
haha i'll take your word for it One wheeler peeler squealer isnt much fun A good tight limited slip would be good for ya!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #45
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Werty View Post
URD FTW!!!

Man, that's an effing work of art!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
Winston is on a distinguished road
Winston's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Too custom? No such thing! it's bolt on!
Available from what source?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
Winston's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Is there anything that pretty that's drop-in, but street legal?
Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #51
Smooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud ofSmooth Operator has much to be proud of
Marines: 0331 / 0341
Name: G
Smooth Operator's Tacoma Gallery
Does that URD Y-Pipe fit on 2013's?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #53
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Is the exhaust sound louder with the URD Y-pipe?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #54
Winston's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
You must be from Cali, Winston. You will pass smog and emissions testing with that Y. Not with headers, if an actual test is done.
Nope, Colorado.

I emailed URD to ask "I'm in Colorado and own a 2012 Tacoma 4WD V6. Do you have a street legal and emissions passing drop-in replacement to re-route the exhaust up and around the transfer case or anywhere other than the current stupid route under it?"

"Legal, no for a highway vehicle. For off road/racing vehicles we have the URD Y pipe and the Doug Thorley Y pipe."

Why doesn't someone make a street legal drop-in fix for the idiotic so-called "off road" exhaust routing on the Tacoma?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #55
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Nope, Colorado.

I emailed URD to ask "I'm in Colorado and own a 2012 Tacoma 4WD V6. Do you have a street legal and emissions passing drop-in replacement to re-route the exhaust up and around the transfer case or anywhere other than the current stupid route under it?"

"Legal, no for a highway vehicle. For off road/racing vehicles we have the URD Y pipe and the Doug Thorley Y pipe."

Why doesn't someone make a street legal drop-in fix for the idiotic so-called "off road" exhaust routing on the Tacoma?
They have to tell you that. I believe that's is federal law to only replace catalytic converters that are from the factory, not remove them. But, as stated before, with the fronts still installed, some can still pass emission tests.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #56
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Federal law? There's lots of aftermarket cats available. So that wouldn't make much sense..

However good quality factory cats are fucking expensive. If you wanted a y pipe with factory cats you'd be looking at upwards of $3000.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #57
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
URD FTW!!!
Is this the old model?

The URD website shows the bend behind the transfer case.

RJM
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #59
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
I had contemplated re-routing, but it just made more sense to go with the URD. Worth every penny. Fit perfectly with no modification whatsoever. Will not work without modification if you're running a 4x4 with a drop bracket, though.
Noise levels didn't increase much, and very little rasp with the two cats removed.
Added a magnaflow muffler, a large one at that, and it's still very quiet. My afe intake drowns out the exhaust note, that's how quiet it is. Still running the stock header and front cats.
Here are some comparison pics.

Stock Y
And FYI, the crossover tube is double walled, so the inner tube is really small. See where it attaches to the Y? That small.

URD Y

Old 12-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
wth is a junior member?

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Federal law? There's lots of aftermarket cats available. So that wouldn't make much sense..

However good quality factory cats are fucking expensive. If you wanted a y pipe with factory cats you'd be looking at upwards of $3000.
I said removal is illegal, not replacement.