1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

exhaust re-routing pictures?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by eric3187, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Aug 31, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    eric3187

eric3187 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    did a quick search and came up empty handed.
    I am looking for pictures (mainly 2nd gen but any will work i suppose) of the exhaust being re-routed up and around the transfer case. I sat the truck on the exhaust the other day and it definitely took a beating.

Mainly need the pictures for reference for a shop to get an idea of what they will be doing.

Thanks!

2. Aug 31, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Pretty awful design huh? If I remember correctly the URD y-pipe routes the exhaust better, but any reputable exhaust shop will be able to move it to a better location.

3. Aug 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    eric3187

Member:
    ya its a horrible design which wouldnt take much to fix at the Toyota level , i looked at the URD Y-pipe, but at $400+, i have to pass ha.

4. Sep 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    How much have you been quoted by an exhaust shop to add in mild steel with kink bends, routed the way you like?

5. Sep 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    eric3187

Member:
    no quotes yet, but it should not be more than 100.

6. Sep 2, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  7. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Typically the crossover pipe is routed aft of the transfer case. You can then close off the entire section with a skid plate. From Jandrew's build thread:

[​IMG]

All-Pro and Relentless Fab offer a transfer case skid plate with a dimple for the crossover pipe at the stock location.

IMG_7311_c7ebbcfd7e570782385b1629e3ce03d392dc23cc.jpg

8. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Mine:
    [​IMG]
    Cost about $150. Yeah, I thought it would be less, too, but they did a tremendous job!

9. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    Round II

Round II Member #12005

Member:
    My reroute.

IMG_20100827_161411_6e7bc4551a459e17f4a004d66ad83b3cc92d910e.jpg

As you can it runs behind the xfer case.

2011-12-12_15-25-43_22_9883bec017637e0cf9319e44c77ae3f706da6fcc.jpg

10. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    here's mine to clear for skid plates. makes sure if you go near to the forward u-joint, that you use some exhause wrap. you risk cooking the grease in the u-joints otherwise. this is a common problem on land rovers with their front driveshafts failing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    06TRDZombieHunter

06TRDZombieHunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    K&N Intake System Port and Polish of TB x2 E3 Diamondfire Sparkplugs 2.5" Leveling kit 32" BFG A/Ts Zombie Response decals Custom painted grill, trim under headlights, scoop, intake and manifold. No more mud flaps, Temp gauge inside intake box, BHLM, extra D-rings in front of bed, No more plastic storage box behind rear seats. More to come.
    This is what I got when I sent my truck with my dad to his buddy who does exhaust for a living.... I described the flat spot under the transfer case as my biggest concern and after that to just put up a high flow muffler and dump the exhaust...

They instead figured it would be too time consuming to re-route around the transfer case, they said, "the flat portion really wont choke the gases"
    These two exhaust pipes come back to one muffler way in the rear, and it exits back to one pipe right behind the rear tire just like stock... .

I was like WTF, I told you what I wanted and for $350 you give me this? Its a family friend so I cant take it back and have him cut it all off and start over... Shitty

OH yeah, and its not even mandrel bent tubes...

IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg

Pirhett likes this.
  12. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    Round II

Round II Member #12005

Member:
    Yea that sucks the whole point is to get the low hanging x-over moved from being crushed and make room for skids.

Pirhett likes this.
  13. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    For $350 :)eek:) I would totally tell him to change it to what you asked for, family friend or not. It's business. There's no excuse for that.

14. Sep 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I am by no mean trying to be mean or disrespectful, but the way this is, is bad.

Having the driver side "T" into the passenger side means two things. Exhaust pulses from the passenger side will not only go down and out the normal exhaust route, but will also go into the "T" back into the driverside tubing.

As well, the driver side exhaust pulses, when hitting that "T" will go left and right. Towards the passenger side exhaust manifold, as well as out the normal flow.

That "T" is causing your exhaust a lot of restriction. Had your exhaust guy been thinking more clearly that day, he would not have done that at all.

15. Sep 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Dang dude. For a little more than that cost, you could have had a URD Y. :/

16. Sep 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Yeah, I thought that when I got it, but then thought about how the pressure is going to drive the exhaust back. It was their first time re-routing exhaust for off-roading, and a bunch of guys here said it looked great. M'eh.

17. Sep 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    eric3187

Member:
    PERFECT pictures, just what i needed to see, and thanks for the tip about cooking u joints with the exhaust too close.

18. Sep 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pirhett likes this.
  19. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    Winston

Winston Member

Member:
    How long have they been using this incredibly stupid design? Is it just a 2012 thing?

A few months ago, I bought a new 2012 Tacoma with the off-road package, trusting the many car review ratings on the Tacoma. The first time I visited a small local business that I visit every month or so, I heard a slight underside scrape as I left their driveway. They have a fairly steep driveway transitioning to a level paved road. I had exited many times in the past in other cars (not trucks) with no scraping, including a 1994 Probe GT! I thought I was just scraping a skid plate somewhere.

Yesterday as I approached my Tacoma sitting for a change by itself in a parking lot with no other cars to obstruct my view, I saw something hanging low, below the skid plates and discovered that it was the header hanging down close to the point where the vehicle would crest a hill. Seeing the space between the header and its heat shield, I thought that perhaps it was lower than it was intended to be. I went to the dealer to point it out and looked at another Tacoma with an "Off Road Package" (which I will from this point on put in quotes) they had in their showroom. Exactly the same. They said the "fix" was to add a lift kit, but no matter how much you reasonably lift it, with a long wheelbase that header is hanging down right at the point where it will scrape the crest of a hill. "Off Road" my ***! What an idiotic design.

I found the URD Competition Y-Pipe for 4WD Tacoma V6 2005+:

http://www.urdusa.com/p1260518517/URD-Competition-Y-Pipe-for-4WD-Tacoma-V6-2005+/product_info.html

but it looks like it would be illegal to highway drive in Kalifornia when I visit there (or does that apply only to residents of the state?). Would that fix this problem and is there anything else from URD or others that would?

20. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    you may have already done this, but for anyone else looking...this is what i had done.. $150 at my local shop

[​IMG]

i like the idea of putting exhaust wrap on the pipe too...

Products Discussed in

To Top