1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Metal in Engine Stuck to CPS after it was repaired

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Logan808, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Sep 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    Logan808

Logan808 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L 4Cyl
    Let me start off by stating I'm not mechanically savvy. I just got my CPS replaced since my 96 tacoma 4x4 2.7 4cyl broke down on highway and wouldn't start today. Mechanic said there was bits of metal stuck to end of CPS...I'm thinking of changing oil and screen it to see how much metal is in there. Engine was rebuilt when I bought it and I don't know who did it or what might've resulted from the rebuild. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I should be looking out for or reasons for this. I'm no mechanic, but bits of metal in engine sounds bad.

2. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Which weight oil are you using?

If any thing, at least a 10w-40.

3. Sep 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    Logan808

Logan808 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L 4Cyl
    Not sure what it has, just bought recently. Does it matter that I'm in Colorado (winter approaching), should I be using 5w-30/40? I'm more worried what the metal shavings mean, it has begun to be difficult to get into 1st gear from dead stop, not sure if that is related.

4. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    You will still be good with a 5w-40.

Sounds like a transmission issue or slave cylinder issue, with that last comment.

But, let me ask, since I do not know. Is your clutch hydraulic or cable?

Does it grind when trying to go into gear?

If it is hydraulic, then check the fluid level. If it is full, and you have no idea how long it has been since it has been bled, then bleed it. If that doesn't work then there might be something wrong with the slave cylinder.

If it is cable, then I cannot tell you what to do, since I have no experience with those.

Also, if the transmission gear oil hasn't been changed in a while, you should do that as well.

Just to be clear, by "CPS", you are referring to the crank position sensor, correct?

5. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Logan808

Logan808 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L 4Cyl
    yes, CPS was crank position sensor. I'm assuming it's hydraulic and level is full, so maybe it needs to be bled. I'm looking for online manuals to try and mess with it saturday on my day off. I might be taking it into a shop tomorrow since something in engine compartment rattles when rpms are high, sounds like shit. I'll ask them about transmission since they will test drive.

6. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Not familiar with this particular engine, but I have never seen a crank sensor that was exposed to oil. They usually work off the flywheel or crank balancer. Metal might be from grinding the starter..... if it's in the back next to the flywheel.

Products Discussed in

To Top