Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Darton Sleeves

Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #41
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
I just need $10,000 and Ill be good to go with a sleeved fully built 1gr
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #42
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery

In all honesty, unless someone has the cash to dish out at once, you can start small, and do it all in stages. Unless you get the stroker crank. Then you would want pistons at the same time since those change between stock stroke and the 105mm stroke.

But group buy pricing for rods - $600. Pistons: between $900-1200 if coated. ARP head studs: ~$290 Cometic Head gaskets: ~$220. Then of course bearings. That gets you base forged. Upgrade from there as time sees fit. Doesn't hurt the bank account as much, all at ine time.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #43
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt do it unless I got sleeves
Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
RedLantern is on a distinguished road

RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Make sure to pull the lower oil pan and inspect the pick-up. Lets you know how clean everything is. As well as the valve covers. Then, when pulling the heads, make sure the decks of the block are smooth and did not have any steam erosion, caused by knock, which would have been the reason for the blown head gasket.

Also, while inspecting the block, the cylinders should have very minimal scoring. A light hone should clear them up. If they are highly scored, then the block is trash, unless you over bore a little or add some purdy Darton Sleeves.
yes, thats the plan! ill be sure to check for that in the mean time. ugh this place is evil for my wallet. im gonna have to put this forge build on the back burner tho once i pick up the engine. need to finish getting the turbo done first.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #46
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
question. under load and operation temp changes how do the sleeves and block expansion interact? is it critical that the block and sleeves have the exact same expansion properties? I only mention it since we looked into it on my dads evo and it seemed like it would open up a can of worms longevity wise if we didn't get it perfect. Tor, did darton ever mention that? PS I like the cowboy hat on the guy working on your block!!! haha awesome
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #47
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
This is the best info I could find, without calling and asking directly.

http://www.dartonsleeves.com/tech_ctr.htm

I am going by a little faith in this, but I have spoken with Jim at Darton East many many times. Never once did he mention any concerns about the differening materials and their respective expansion rates. By those tech atricles, they know their metalllurgy properties well. So in that, I have faith that they took that into concideration whilst developing the wet sleeves for aluminum blocks.

It does make me want to ask Jim, the next time I speak with him though. So thank you for bringing that up Sconnie, I will.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #48
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gotcha, let me know if or when you ask him! Sorry, I hope you aren't second guessing it now... I'm sure it'll be fine lol

Are yours wet sleeves then? Dont remember what you said... Nice link!

I don't have much knowledge on the subject other than the guys who built our track car mentioned it as a potential problem.

These are the guys im talking about
http://www.dbptuning.com/cat/

here is an old old dyno run of dads car (sound is goofy...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a085oaJD5Bc
Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #50
PutterClutch

No need to apologize! Seems like the better option would be to go wet.

in the video posted just above it put down roughly 390whp and roughly the same torque if i remember correctly. Now we are running high 20's psi and somewhere just over 500whp, i've only seen the dyno sheets once and cant remember what the numbers were exactly. (id go get the sheets to look at but they are back in wisconsin 1k miles away )

Here's the video you mentioned above
We have since changed our final drive ratio to a low 4.00 because our 5th was severly limited on the straights and the gear per corner wasnt matched well. now we hit 160+ no problems and the corner gears are better matched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeyXGr9-KeE

I should watch our videos more often, got a quarter chub now!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #53
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
DoubllD, I had Jim at Darton East, source some main studs that would fit the requirements, through ARP.

They measured the factory ones, cross-referenced to the closest thing, then did the tricky part. Cutting them down to length and or drilling and re-tapping the holes to match.

I am not exactly certain on what they had to do, as I was told by LCE long ago, that our OEM main bolts are uncommon to match something from ARP, and that some modification would be necessary.

I just told Jim, I need them, do what it takes.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #54
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet does gadget still have that engine for sale an how can I get ahold of him if he does
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #56
toon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: toon
toon714's Tacoma Gallery
Lololoolol.

Is all i gotta say.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #57
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Lol what toon?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #58

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Tor do you have a number or part number I can have for the main studs
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #60

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks I talked 2 gadget looks like I'm gettin his engine