Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust system

Old 11-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust system

Can anybody give me some feeback on an exhaust system for my '07 V6 Tacoma? Whats good, whats bad? I was looking at the Gibson exhaust system.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
There are many to choose from. I like Borla and have heard some good things about Banks (Gale Banks). Muffler's, people like Magnaflow and Flowmaster. If you check the URDUSA website they sell JBA headers and exhaust systems. I personally haven't heard very much about Gibson.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
dibsen is on a distinguished road

dibsen's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Gibson cat back single side exhaust on my 06' 4.0 4x4. It has a clean sound and inside the cab stays quiet. Install was easy I had the old one off and the new one in about an hour. As for power no real significat jump but I still have the factory intake. gas mileage also about the same. Its a good exhaust, its not going to rust and fall apart on you. I live on the coast, lots of sand, lots of salt and still no problems. Hope I helped
Old 11-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
I just put the JBA cat back (stainless steel $359.00) preformance exhaust on my 03 tacoma. It was a easy install, brackets were all in the correct places. didn't care for the clamps with the kit. The JBA has a nice throaty sound at idel but is a little loud in the cabin. Have not seen any gas mileage change yet but it's to early to tell. I was told to stay away from Gibson from 2 different speed shops.

I purchaed my JBA from a site on the web. pretty good pricing free shipping, & fast. They sell JBA, Gibson, Magnaflow, Doug Thorley & Borla

http://www.autoanything.com

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM   #5

dibsen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coma View Post
I just put the JBA cat back (stainless steel $359.00) preformance exhaust on my 03 tacoma. It was a easy install, brackets were all in the correct places. didn't care for the clamps with the kit. The JBA has a nice throaty sound at idel but is a little loud in the cabin. Have not seen any gas mileage change yet but it's to early to tell. I was told to stay away from Gibson from 2 different speed shops.

I purchaed my JBA from a site on the web. pretty good pricing free shipping, & fast. They sell JBA, Gibson, Magnaflow, Doug Thorley & Borla

http://www.autoanything.com

Hope this helps.
what did they have to say about the Gibson?

I almost feel afended. But really, I was just curious.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Downey headers

Anyone install the Downey headers on a 2nd Gen Tacoma? I understand it is a pretty easy process.
Not sure this is a worthwhile upgrade since I was going to stick with the stock catalytic converter
Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust

Hey dibsen,
Well both shops told me that there is no preformance increase from a Gibson, I don't know, never had one but the one shop told me not to waste my money on a Gibson just keep the stock unit on, not much difference.

At the one shop the guy told me he had one on his truck and replaced it pretty quickly made his truck sound like a 2cycle engine.

I don't know, just food for thought..so far my JBA has no problems,
Old 12-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
jlbait is on a distinguished road
jlbait's Tacoma Gallery
Buy the banks system, love mine......
Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #9

dibsen's Tacoma Gallery
I'll admit, I hadn't noticed a big increase in performance. But if it was only a gain of 5hp(give or take),I didn't think that it wouldn't be that noticeble. Plus i hadn't touch my intake yet.

As far as the dude telling you [I]it made it sound like a two stroke[I] is a bit of an exaggeration. Unless he's never heard a two stroke.

It would be awsome if someone did a comparison of all the after market systems for our truck with dyno read outs to put some facts behind all the stories of "he said, she said".

Maybe we could put it up to one of the truck mags to run a test, cause that shit would be pricey on the dyno.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Gibson claims to give a 15-20HP gain, but then again so does everybody else. That is probably the case with the addition of a CIA, which isn't that bad. I think my final decision for the exhuast system will be the sound it generates...I dont want a 'ricer hopped up on steroids' sound. I want a low, deep growling sound. The Banks sounds alright, but is there another system that sounds more bad ass? Or am I wrong about the sound of the Banks based on the quality of the sound clip posted on this thread? Anybody have a sound clip of a Gibson?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #12
Zoom-Zoom

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man...I like the sound of the Gibson a little better.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #13
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Sound clips are not reliable. They sound different in person. Personally, I don't like the Gibson. For 05+ Tacomas I prefer Banks, Borla, or Magnaflow.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #15
Chipper57 is on a distinguished road
Chipper57's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD and love it.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #16
jskicet is on a distinguished road
jskicet's Tacoma Gallery
You can't go wrong with the TRD, great sound and no drone down the highway. With the TRD CAI added you will smile everytime you drive.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #17
midV6size is on a distinguished road
midV6size's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I have a Magnaflow cat back system on my Ranger now and I love the sound from this exhaust. I will definetly get another Magnaflow system on the new Tacoma when ever I decide to buy one, late 07' or early 08'.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #18
sandie is on a distinguished road

sandie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sandie Send a message via Yahoo to sandie Send a message via Skype™ to sandie
i ran into another x-runner yesterday at the post office, and he had a "14" flowmaster" on his...it sounded AMAZING...now i'm gonna have to get me a new exhaust!