Notices

2.7 power mods

Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
01 taco
Newbiegeneral is on a distinguished road
Name: randon
Newbiegeneral's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 power mods

First things first tx_shooter,Don't Reply or even read any further because well clearly you cant read, this is the engine performance section, not gears or suspension etc etc..

I'm looking to get more POWER out of the 2.7 not to pull a trailer or haul things but to increase speed and how i can drive it off-road without spanking on it to hard. So all I need is to increase tq and hp, the light truck will do just fine with a modified 2.7. Ive heard headers, intake and ecu. So lets start here. what is the best bang for my buck in those areas.

Once I have that down and tuned I'm looking to turbo or S/C this thing and get some nice increases. Then I plan to mod my clutch and suspension. Reasons for that you ask? I'm going to give custom long travel arms a shot and maybe some kings coil overs and then leaf under axle in the back with some lt shocks. gears and probably stick with 31's. thanks you on your help.

if your going to b/s and ruin the thread I will ask a mod to have your post deleted. thank you and to all who started to help me in the last post thank you so much! lets get some good info in here and try and get the stickied for a future reference to all new taco owners
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
turbos while the largest upfront investment for the kit will net the lowest dollar per horsepower for further upgrades. this also applies for superchargers but the dollar per horsepower will be higher then that of a turbo kit. both will need proper engine management so if your thinking about an ecu upgrade think of it as part of a f/i system. after that will be your typical bolt ons intake exhaust maybe a cam but unless those are combined you will only see minimal gains in power. so like torspd said in your last thread a turbo will be your best bang for you buck in the long run. i would also pm speed freek as he has a lot of experience with turboing 2 and 3 rz motors
Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
New block, forged internals and turbo or supercharger.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
thats about it turbo or s/c my man everything else is very minimal. if you were to regear it would also give you some uumphh that you're looking for imo
Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, this will be a bit over the top, and not exactly what your are looking for. But, it shows the potential of what your engine is capable of. However, yes, this is a 2.4L, with a HUGE turbo.

2rz and he was running a Turbonetics T76, idk about now.

We went with a water2air set up over our old air2air touched up the tune and yielded 790whp and 623ft lbs of torque with a spike of 807whp.
We maxed out the a1000 pump at 33psi.
We went to irwindale tburs ur couldn't stay in it.
Last night we made the trip to Bakersfield and off the trailer we blasted out a 8.98@152 mph. Made 2 more passes both 9.2@ 151 and 153 mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSDNH...layer_embedded

Here is the full story> http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...=santos&page=2

Here is some more decent info on base 2RZ numbers and with less boost than the graph above.
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...ghlight=santos

That will be a little eye candy. ^_^

Now, getting down to details on what size turbo and what kind of power can be safely attained. Then I will do some digging on supercharger specs.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
^^^^Not bad at all. That would be a drag setup though because of where the power band is at.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
^^^^Not bad at all. That would be a drag setup though because of where the power band is at.
Clearly. Just showing the potential of the RZ, even the smaller 2RZ.

Much smaller turbo, such as a GT2871R with a .5x to . 6x A/R.

That would spool nice and soon, and be capab;e of plenty of low end TQ and high end HP, on the stock block.

A GT3071R would be good for a built block. Rated for 450 hp. Also on my girl's Hyundai Genesis 2.0L. With a boost controller and that Large turbo for DD driving, on that 2.0L it still spools and pulls very hard at 15 psi.

I cannot imagine what a GT28 or GT30 @ 10 psi, would feel like on the 2.7. Fuuuuuuu.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Clearly. Just showing the potential of the RZ, even the smaller 2RZ.

Much smaller turbo, such as a GT2871R with a .5x to . 6x A/R.

That would spool nice and soon, and be capab;e of plenty of low end TQ and high end HP, on the stock block.

A GT3071R would be good for a built block. Rated for 450 hp. Also on my girl's Hyundai Genesis 2.0L. With a boost controller and that Large turbo for DD driving, on that 2.0L it still spools and pulls very hard at 15 psi.

I cannot imagine what a GT28 or GT30 @ 10 psi, would feel like on the 2.7. Fuuuuuuu.

Very impressive. I like a proper setup.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
3RZ rock crawler.

Now, before I post any more eye candy, I will ask this.

How many miles do you have on your engine? Reason being, no matter which boost path you choose, you should seriously consider installing a new MLS Cometic head gasket, and some ARP head studs.

They will prevent the stretch that can happen from the factory bolts, which will cause the head to slowly lift under higher cylinder pressures from boost.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the info for removing the head and installing the ARP studs.

"I have never had a 3rz apart but I figured during the disassembly I would wing it.
Next I turned the motor to top dead center #1 cyl and made a mental not of what the timing marks looked like.
Then I removed the cam gear and cam shafts. I noticed that the cam shaft bearing hold downs were marked so I would have to worry about getting them mixed up. I kept everything in order anyway. "

"Once I got the cam shafts off I could get to the head bolts. After removing the head bolts, the head came right off.
the motor came out of a junk yard so I have no idea how many miles are on it. there was a little carbon buildup but the cylinders looked and felt great. the head gasket surface also looked to be in good shape. I'll know more when I get everything cleaned up. "

All of that, as compliments of Desertoy, on CT. I should start a thread specifically for the head studs. Very useful information.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
toon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoon714 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: toon
toon714's Tacoma Gallery
damn that tacoma is bad ass!!
800hp on a light ass 1st gen.

OP i would go turbo. best bang for ur buck. nothing beats a nice snail sitting in ur engine bay.
and LCE can make the kit for u.
the 2rz is proven to handle alot of power.

LCE would be the best place for u to get most of ur parts.
since they do have stuff for ur 2rz.

all the goodies for the 2rz!
http://www.lceperformance.com/Search...x=0&Search.y=0
Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Subd for pic repairs,
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Some vids from LCE

S/C 3RZ

Quote, "3rz tacoma with 04 taco coil on plug trd supercharger 8psi with vipec tuned by drift office LCE cams, pistons, rods and valve train 190whp 190ft-lb at 6800rpm when it was tuned with a loose belt w/ 6psi I tightened it now its at 8.3 and still havent adjusted the cam gear this is straight 2.5'' exhaust from header to magnaflow muffler tac is on my netbook for now... this video only has spedo thats accurate...video will be posted on it on final dyno run soon.............the 3rz chad................XD"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qo15zGuJafU

Quote,"1984 Toyota pickup with an LC Engineering-built 3RZ 4-Cylinder. Custom-spec Garret turbo, LCE Pro Fuel Injection. Suffering from traction issues on the Dyno, 18psi showed 463 RWHP before tires started slipping on rollers. Truck runs sand drags at 30+psi"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mj6...feature=relmfu
Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #19
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
That is odd. Now the pics are there. Anyone else having problems seein them,
I cant see em,
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #20
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
I cant see em,
x2

Products Discussed in this Thread