Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

1GR-FE ALUMINUM INTAKE MANIFOLDS

Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
TRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 136th ESB
TRfknD's Tacoma Gallery
1GR-FE ALUMINUM INTAKE MANIFOLDS

Hey guys, I'm a new member here and I'm usually on the www.customtacos.com website. But, thought there may a bigger audience here that may be interested in the 1GR-FE custom aluminum intake manifold utilizing stock TB. My buddy is still pending on the price. I'll update here with pics the next couple days. Hit me up if you're interested.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
TRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRfknD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TRfknD's Tacoma Gallery
The PICs

Starting the runners

The welds

continued

Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
zomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the rough

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
What are the benefits or hp increases of this manifold? Does it keep the stock intake location or will rerouting be required? Will it fit in the stock manifold location or do existing components need to be moved or modified? Any pics of it installed? Estimated price???
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
I came to TW after having spent a good deal of time with custom, high-HP turbo volvos (I had even built a 400hp 4-cyl street sleeper at one time). There was quite a bit of bench-racing done on intake manifold design.

This one is an interesting approach. My first thought is, what was the research/thinking behind this particular approach? I mean, the swept runners inside the plenum? Were there other designs that didn't make the cut?

My second thought, and a more immediately-pertinent one to those thinking of laying the money down for this: This is going to cost a good deal. I suspect the performance (be it throttle response, low/mid/high-end torque, fuel economy, whatever) gain that this gives is not going to be reasonable to the cost -- I'm guessing a very low bang-for-the-buck ratio.
I strongly suspect that there will be custom intake piping required to make this fit. So it's not exactly a bolt-on. Which adds further to the cost.
So I'm thinking more: If this gives modest improvement, at substantial cost, with need for additional customization, why not spend the bucks on a full individual-throttle-body setup and really maximize the performance gains? It seems to me that, while the cost for such a setup would be even more than this, the bang-for-the-buck ratio would improve.

I'm not trying to knock the product or its development at all. I'm just thinking out loud here. Hell, I'd love to be proven wrong and have this nice little setup give an additional 300#/ft of torque, an extra 12mpg, and a weekly blowjob, all for only $99.99.

I guess that's the longest possible way of saying: Show me the numbers.
Do a side-by-side comparison on a dyno with the exact same parameters (i.e. same truck), swapping the two manifolds, and post all the results. I would be very interested in how this particular design performs.

Oh, and if it does end up giving me 300#/ft more torque, 12 more mpg, and a weekly blowjob, all for only $99.99, I'll take two tomorrow, please!

Edit: Thinking further, wouldn't a better approach to be to work on the entire intake, from the head on back? While I have not had my intake manifold off and don't know what the intake system looks like, I suspect there might be more gains to be had by re-working the manifold itself, rather than just the plenum. Individual TBs on each intake port of the head.
Again, just thinking out loud. I'm always in support of someone sticking their neck out to try out a new design for something. Especially when they have to deal with constructive criticizers like me
Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Preliminary design. There will testing done on N/A and F/I. Results will be definitely be posted.

I spy my intake manifold spacer. o_O
anything with you in it has to make it fast lol

Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I guess it should be mentioned that you cannot simply bolt this guy onto your engine and run the stock ECU.

Too bad it doesn't look like this:

Old 09-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
TRfknD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomg View Post
What are the benefits or hp increases of this manifold? Does it keep the stock intake location or will rerouting be required? Will it fit in the stock manifold location or do existing components need to be moved or modified? Any pics of it installed? Estimated price???
Right now hp/tq increase will be determined by dyno nbrs. Which Torspd will be able to post that after it is complete. I don't know if rerouting will be an issue I know that he's trying to keep it in the stock location as much as possible. Stay tuned for more pics and price after dyno is complete. thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #15
TRfknD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
I came to TW after having spent a good deal of time with custom, high-HP turbo volvos (I had even built a 400hp 4-cyl street sleeper at one time). There was quite a bit of bench-racing done on intake manifold design.

This one is an interesting approach. My first thought is, what was the research/thinking behind this particular approach? I mean, the swept runners inside the plenum? Were there other designs that didn't make the cut?

My second thought, and a more immediately-pertinent one to those thinking of laying the money down for this: This is going to cost a good deal. I suspect the performance (be it throttle response, low/mid/high-end torque, fuel economy, whatever) gain that this gives is not going to be reasonable to the cost -- I'm guessing a very low bang-for-the-buck ratio.
I strongly suspect that there will be custom intake piping required to make this fit. So it's not exactly a bolt-on. Which adds further to the cost.
So I'm thinking more: If this gives modest improvement, at substantial cost, with need for additional customization, why not spend the bucks on a full individual-throttle-body setup and really maximize the performance gains? It seems to me that, while the cost for such a setup would be even more than this, the bang-for-the-buck ratio would improve.

I'm not trying to knock the product or its development at all. I'm just thinking out loud here. Hell, I'd love to be proven wrong and have this nice little setup give an additional 300#/ft of torque, an extra 12mpg, and a weekly blowjob, all for only $99.99.

I guess that's the longest possible way of saying: Show me the numbers.
Do a side-by-side comparison on a dyno with the exact same parameters (i.e. same truck), swapping the two manifolds, and post all the results. I would be very interested in how this particular design performs.

Oh, and if it does end up giving me 300#/ft more torque, 12 more mpg, and a weekly blowjob, all for only $99.99, I'll take two tomorrow, please!

Edit: Thinking further, wouldn't a better approach to be to work on the entire intake, from the head on back? While I have not had my intake manifold off and don't know what the intake system looks like, I suspect there might be more gains to be had by re-working the manifold itself, rather than just the plenum. Individual TBs on each intake port of the head.
Again, just thinking out loud. I'm always in support of someone sticking their neck out to try out a new design for something. Especially when they have to deal with constructive criticizers like me
No hard feelings...my buddy thought of the design and because raw data speaks for itself we are awaiting a dyno session with stock intake and then with the new aluminum intake manifold. So just stay tuned for dyno numbers.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #16
TRfknD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Preliminary design. There will testing done on N/A and F/I. Results will be definitely be posted.

I spy my intake manifold spacer. o_O

Yes, Sir! lol He just finished most of the welding yesterday evening.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Care to elaborate?
People are going to think they can bolt this on their stock truck and go without tuning or anything. Is this going to be true?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
People are going to think they can bolt this on their stock truck and go without tuning or anything. Is this going to be true?
I don't see an issue if it retains the stock Throttle body size. Though I'm sure a specific tune would just improve your #'s a minor amount I don't see it throwing off the stock ecu at all.