1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1996 Tacoma 4x4 Rebuild or Swap Engine

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Logan808, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Sep 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Logan808

Logan808 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L 4Cyl
    I think my engine is going bad and I'd like to start preparing myself for what it would cost to either rebuild or buy used engine and have mechanic install. Does anybody have any insight on how much either of those options would cost? Mechanic once quoted me 15 hours labor for swap so about 1,500 just in labor. I've heard of engine importers that get low mileage engines out of tacomas and re-sell them. I might be looking into that as well as a new transmission if it wost cost efficient to do both simultaneously. Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

2. Sep 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    you can always get a remaned engine or just have your mechanic send your engine off to a machinist to rebuild it.
    The most expensive part is probably going to be labor it takes a long time to do such job and it is not very easy. What is wrong with your transmission?
    Also remember that this can not be done in a day it probably will take 2 weeks so have a another vehicle to drive to and form places.

Products Discussed in

To Top