Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Catalytic converter

Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Bosox is on a distinguished road
Bosox's Tacoma Gallery
Catalytic converter

Is it worth installing a "high flow" converter? Most things I've read say there really isn't such a thing, your exhaust is just filtered different
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
There is such a thing, but without additional mods, it's not going to help, and if you have smog testing, your readings will be higher.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
ironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud of

Name: Jonathan
ironman_jon's Tacoma Gallery
Just put DTLTs, Urd Y-pipe and the muffler of choice and be done with it

If you dont have smog testing, AZ doesnt have it
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Bosox is on a distinguished road
Bosox's Tacoma Gallery
I have a flowmaster muffler on and plan on a cold air... Real soon. I'm not a very mechanical person so this may dumb but I don't know the abrreviation dtlts means. The y pipe to make it dual exhaust? I do appreciate the advice.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Tacomayco
Tacomayco will become famous soon enoughTacomayco will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Tacomayco's Tacoma Gallery
DTLY= Doug Thorly Long Tube Headers
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
ironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud of

Cats restrict the flow of the exhaust out of the vehicle. If u increase the flow of the air in and out if the vehicle ur going to gain performance but not to the point where u lose back pressure through the system.

If you don't have a smog check go with a set of DTLT if u have smog go with the shorty version and weld the cats on and u will still pass smog.

The y-pipe connects the headers/manifolds to the catback. Urd/ Doug Thorley etc make version of the y-pipe.

If you have a smog check in ur state its not a good idea to take the cats off cuz u will fail the smog check that's why there are 2 versions of both headers from DT.

If anyone has anything to add and or correct feel free.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Tacomayco
Tacomayco will become famous soon enoughTacomayco will become famous soon enough

What I did is remove the two rear Cats, since we have 4. The two front cats have the sensors. It sounds waaay better without d rear cats
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Long tubes and a Y pipe will get rid of them and an O2 simulator for the light. Less low end power FTW!

"High Flow" cats are worthless.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #12

Also when u do all get this. Its not a necessity but it helps remap the maf sensor to accommodate the mods ur doing to your truck. Call Gadget over at URD and he can explain how it works or just use the famous "search" tool here.

http://www.urdusa.com/Electronics-Pe...duct_info.html

Well worth the money.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #13
Tacomayco

Yea im planning on getting the MAF Sensor from URD.
I have my current JET MAF for sale, its a good add on, but im about to put my s/c in the next few weeks so i need to get a tuned one from urd.
Its a JET maf sensor. My truck wouldnt spin the tires on take offs, after the Jet maf it does for 2 secs. so it a good add on for 100$ shipping included.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxOkieTacoxx View Post
Less low end power? I don't like that ....
I don't know about headers with the y pipe, but I have the long tubes and there is no low end power loss, in fact I have more power from 2000 rpm up.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7racing View Post
I don't know about headers with the y pipe, but I have the long tubes and there is no low end power loss, in fact I have more power from 2000 rpm up.
Dyno?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
More noise = more power.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Dank Tank
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats how I feel about 3,000rpm up^
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Dyno?
no dyno within 200 miles of me. I added MAF CAL, AFE stage 2, and long tubes at the same time, so technically I can't speak for just the headers alone. But I can now go up freeway grades in 6th gear without losing speed while before I would slow down. These are grades I drive everyday and at the same speed so it an accurate gauge of low end power. That's just as good as any dyno for me. Do you have long tubes? Did you notice low end loss?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
no dyno within 200 miles of me. I added MAF CAL, AFE stage 2, and long tubes at the same time, so technically I can't speak for just the headers alone. But I can now go up freeway grades in 6th gear without losing speed while before I would slow down. These are grades I drive everyday and at the same speed so it an accurate gauge of low end power. That's just as good as any dyno for me. Do you have long tubes? Did you notice low end loss?
I just know how exhaust works. The reason for the low end loss is because you lose the front cats.