Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&N CAI illegal in CA ?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
LARGE Member
BLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryce
BLUVVV's Tacoma Gallery
K&N CAI illegal in CA ?

So i was craigslisting it up yesterday and i found a K&N cold air intake...(some dude said he put it on his gf's taco for a week, she didnt like it). In the picture it looks brand new...so i called up the guy and asked about it...the only thing that concerned me was he said it was not legal (here in california) I was just wondering if anyone in CA has this intake, why its illegal, should i buy it $180??? Help me out, im supose to go tonight and check it out in person!

ps (I dont really mind having to take i off every 2 years for smog)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
K&N says their some of their 63 series CAI kits are CARB legal, none of their 77 series is legal in Cal. Check with them www.kandn.com
Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Per K&N website both the 77 and 63 series CAI are not CARB exempt. Call K&N and ask them if they are in the process of certifications. If they are in the process they will send you the CARB plate out for free when it is certified.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Jeba
hansingj is on a distinguished road
Navy: Fire Controlmen Second Class USS Peleliu LHA5
hansingj's Tacoma Gallery
Everything is illegal in Ca. It's like trying to buy a gun here, they assume you're going to kill and then rape women and children then go on a rampage to killing police. I love California and i hate it so much at the same time.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
LARGE Member
BLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura about

BLUVVV's Tacoma Gallery
whats CARB exempt?...i assume it had to do with emissions? hansingj your right everything is illegal here in cal!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
"The Dude"
El Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of lightEl Duderino 480 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
El Duderino 480's Tacoma Gallery
buy whatever you want, fuck cali and all the stupid rules.. btw, if my truck i registered in az, can i get a ticket for having 5% tint?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

California Air Research Board, california sets the national standard for these sorts of things. If Cali certifies it all other states recognize it to be legal.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
LARGE Member

BLUVVV's Tacoma Gallery
gotcha...thanks Rtrn2taco
Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsenjr View Post
buy whatever you want, fuck cali and all the stupid rules.. btw, if my truck i registered in az, can i get a ticket for having 5% tint?
Once in Cali they will require you to follow Cali laws. When I moved back to Cali from Phx I had the whole car (except the windshield) tinted in 5%, I had AZ plates and I was only across the AZ/Cali boarder for a few hours and the CHP issued me a fix-it-ticket. That was 20 years ago so I cant imagine they have relaxed that law at all. It only gets worse!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Red Taco View Post
I heard will need to apply for permit to wipe our ass.
Yes...and you will have to use Eco friendly paper....BUT, thats after Kalifornia clean air board determins that your shit isnt going to cause harm to the environment.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes...and you will have to use Eco friendly paper....BUT, thats after Kalifornia clean air board determins that your shit isnt going to cause harm to the environment.
only if you don't have a CARB approved sticker on your ass and or shit'er.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppert View Post
only if you don't have a CARB approved sticker on your ass and or shit'er.
And once your ass is CARB approved, it will have to be emisions tested every 2 years.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
And once your ass is CARB approved, it will have to be emisions tested every 2 years.
Well there goes all the Mexican restaurants in Cal....
Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!

But if I live in PA and just shit in Cali will I be alright? Or will I have to transport shit wiping device back to PA.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrn2taco View Post
But if I live in PA and just shit in Cali will I be alright? Or will I have to transport shit wiping device back to PA.
That would require a temporary operating permit that can be purchased in 30 day increments.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUVVV View Post
So i was craigslisting it up yesterday and i found a K&N cold air intake...(some dude said he put it on his gf's taco for a week, she didnt like it). In the picture it looks brand new...so i called up the guy and asked about it...the only thing that concerned me was he said it was not legal (here in california) I was just wondering if anyone in CA has this intake, why its illegal, should i buy it $180??? Help me out, im supose to go tonight and check it out in person!

ps (I dont really mind having to take i off every 2 years for smog)
It is a smog law. They have to be CARB approved (California Air Resources Board). It would fail a visual smog check. Some people know of shops that will pass you anyway. I'd find someone who has one that has passed smog in your area and go to them when it comes due. You can also check on the air resource board site
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

This Air Raid is CARB Approved. Note that approval is for your specific vehicle (year model make). For example the TRD CAI is legal on the Tundra but not the Tacoma.

Democrats piss me off!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsenjr View Post
if my truck i registered in az, can i get a ticket for having 5% tint?
In California? Yes. It's like driving in Virginia with a radar detector. It doesn't matter where you're from.