Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Just got exhaust, cai, unichip, flux display and headers.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Tunajoe13 is just really niceTunajoe13 is just really niceTunajoe13 is just really niceTunajoe13 is just really niceTunajoe13 is just really nice
Name: Joe
Tunajoe13's Tacoma Gallery
Just got exhaust, cai, unichip, flux display and headers.

Just found a killer deal on CL... I got urd 3" Mk2 exhaust, Doug thorley long tube headers, unichip programmer with flux2 display and trd cai for 850.00. I'm pretty stoked and want to hear what you guys here think? Good and bad. Lol. I'm having it all installed tomorrow. I'm probably gonna put some on tonight. Hoping this setup will help out my truck since I've lifted it and added the weight of allpro's bumpers and expo leaf packs.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
Damn sweat deal!! That pretty close to my setup. Gibson exhaust, dtlt, urd maf cal and Afe stage 2(same as trd). You'll be stoked!! Nice powers gains all the way through.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know how you like it when you get it installed! Sounds like a good deal
Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal. It'll sound good... unfortunately it wont feel faster. Maybe a little bit at WOT
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Based on what I learned today, opening up your exhaust you'll actually lose low end. But like I said, it's new knowledge, but it came from someone with old knowledge.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Joshman35 will become famous soon enough
Name: Josh
Joshman35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Good deal. It'll sound good... unfortunately it wont feel faster. Maybe a little bit at WOT
Hp gains mean faster...you don't see NASCAR running stock camry's and impalas.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Based on what I learned today, opening up your exhaust you'll actually lose low end. But like I said, it's new knowledge, but it came from someone with old knowledge.

That is correct. In the instance of these trucks the lack of back pressure created by exhaust mods leads to a decrease in power in the lower part of the RPM band. It essentially moves your power curve a little bit later in the RPM range and the mods give it a little higher peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshman35 View Post
Are you kidding me...
Thank you for bringing in that gem of knowledge. Now thanks to your endless knowledge everyone knows that more horsepower vehicles will generally go faster than other lower horsepower vehicles. I never said otherwise. What I said is that he will be strapping on all of those mods and unfortunately not feel all that much of a difference. Sure, it's going to sound different so it's gonna sound faster, but unless he is WOT all the time he will not notice a different overall truck... if anything he will feel a bit slower when it comes to low RPM situations aka the majority of driving. Not trying to slam his decision as I went the same route myself and truth be told id probably do it again because I like to tinker. People like to buy all of the cheaper mods because they are cheap. The correct way to do it is to buy boost and then all of these supporting mods to help out when the engine can actually benefit from the lower back pressure. So yes, the very short answer is that max speed is a combination of the vehicle specs, its available horsepower, and its gearing. However, a vehicle running 40lbs of boost that dumps at 5k RPM is not all that beneficial to the daily driver. It's all about where your power lies in the powerband and how you use it (which makes NASCAR almost nothing like daily driving)... Anything else you'd like to call me on while we're here?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think what he's trying to say is we should all get a NASCAR motor and stop wasting our money on petty things like mufflers and strippers.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Memario
That is correct. In the instance of these trucks the lack of back pressure created by exhaust mods leads to a decrease in power in the lower part of the RPM band. It essentially moves your power curve a little bit later in the RPM range and the mods give it a little higher peak.

I think by back pressure you mean scavenging. I've heard lots of people get scolded by chris4x4 for that one. Only reason I know.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Not necessarily. That statement is to broad. On these trucks, you still have to keep things realistic, as in don't put a 4" catback on, or headers with 2 1/4" primaries.

However, cleaning up the exhaust, such as replacing components that have kink or crush bends, with those which have mandrel bends and better routing, will increase power across the whole range. Some areas more than others.

Depending on which combination of exhaust components, you can watch the powerband shift this way or that, a little. However, for the most part, the combination of components sold by URD do a good job of increasing all of the useable powerband.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime27 View Post
I think what he's trying to say is we should all get a NASCAR motor and stop wasting our money on petty things like mufflers and strippers.
Strippers and Mufflers are never a waste of money, now NASCAR on the other hand...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Quote:
Strippers and Mufflers are never a waste of money, now NASCAR on the other hand...
Unless is Rickey Bobby and Cal....Shake and Bake!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
so how does the 3" exhaust sound on these trucks?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Tunajoe13 is just really niceTunajoe13 is just really niceTunajoe13 is just really niceTunajoe13 is just really niceTunajoe13 is just really nice
Tunajoe13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianTaco View Post
so how does the 3" exhaust sound on these trucks?
with headers, 3'' exhaust, urd y-pipe and trd cai... It is loud as hell. I really like it. even in higher rpms when it sounds raspy its like a race motor sound like in ken blocks gymkhanna videos when he's redlining in the begining. cant wait to get the right map in so I can really feel the high end power. Yes I have lost some low end but honestly I did it for sound and got a great deal on it all so its worth it to me plus lifted taco on 34'' not made to go fast.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Great deal. I hope you don't get tired of the sound.