Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How Much HP Can A 4.0L Push?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
These aren't Ebay chips. These are piggyback ECUs. Unichip is just the brand name of the ECU.
This man is correct. The UniChip is a piggy back ecu. Been around a long time. Used to be extremely popular in the states. Very popular in UAE right now. Limited as far as ability goes though, and can only be tuned by an Authorized dealer.

ProEFI EMS' are Standalone. Just like other top brands, AEM, Motec, Vipec...etc.. They all have the ability to completely control everything. However, that comes with a higher price tag. Motec usually being the most expensive.

ProEFI recently overcame the plug availability for the Lexus ISF, and that is why they have the plugs for the '09+, or will in the very near future. They have two units available, but have yet to get the chance to map out the CAN system of the Tacoma. Should be done when i get mjne back up and running... So there are still bugs, such as CEL's, until that time comes. Unless someone else can get it done before me.

The UCON, is an inline, and in most cases the most user friendly. Plug it in, and don't worry about it. It usually comes pretuned, pretty close to how it needs to be. Major plus.
Just, have to wait until the plugs are finalized and URD has the ability to make them fit the '09+. It will happen, and most likely in the next few months.

In my opinion, the UCON is by far the best chose for you OP. Just keep your eyes peeled for its release for your year model.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Isnt a guy on xru running a garret turbo pushing 500-600 hp on stock internals? Cant remember his name... maybe in the morning
Old 10-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
No sir. There is not. There are a handful of owners on XRU which have a tad over 400 whp, with URD's MKII or MKIII kits. That is it.

Toon has a GT3582R on a custom front mount. Not making those numbers though. He is making about 450wtq
i think he his talking about rexrunner who posted numbers like that for his single turbo setup before he went to an ls motor
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #26
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
E85, baby!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #27
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
i know but that what the dyno graph he posted said and he was called on it but he said that those numbers were solid so i dunno?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This man is correct. The UniChip is a piggy back ecu. Been around a long time. Used to be extremely popular in the states. Very popular in UAE right now. Limited as far as ability goes though, and can only be tuned by an Authorized dealer.

ProEFI EMS' are Standalone. Just like other top brands, AEM, Motec, Vipec...etc.. They all have the ability to completely control everything. However, that comes with a higher price tag. Motec usually being the most expensive.

ProEFI recently overcame the plug availability for the Lexus ISF, and that is why they have the plugs for the '09+, or will in the very near future. They have two units available, but have yet to get the chance to map out the CAN system of the Tacoma. Should be done when i get mjne back up and running... So there are still bugs, such as CEL's, until that time comes. Unless someone else can get it done before me.

The UCON, is an inline, and in most cases the most user friendly. Plug it in, and don't worry about it. It usually comes pretuned, pretty close to how it needs to be. Major plus.
Just, have to wait until the plugs are finalized and URD has the ability to make them fit the '09+. It will happen, and most likely in the next few months.

In my opinion, the UCON is by far the best chose for you OP. Just keep your eyes peeled for its release for your year model.
Thanks alot for the info, il just have to be a little more patient about it when URD makes it available, i'l look into UCON though for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthyota View Post
Ohhhh, okkay i see it now lol
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
Make more better!
skulltacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: BEN
skulltacoma's Tacoma Gallery
im going to bump this one, im curious im looking at an kit online from a guy close by selling a unichip programmer because he went up to the trd supercharger and claims he had to change to the trd programmer ecu. so for his price that wouldn't be bad to buy off of him and i would also buy the flux digital display because i run bigger tires ( the pictures of my truck are way old i should put some new ones up ) im considering doing a few mods like changing the exhaust i have a cia and etc etc runnning a straight piped exhaust ( just cut that huge f-in exhaust out and put a piece of pipe in hahaha) and it actually sounds pretty awesome and i have had no issues with the truck running like that at all. runs way better actually ( i put an aftermarket exhaust on it was crap ... should of bought a magnaflow ) so this time round im looking into doug thorley headers, maybe a different header idk any sugguestions guys??? with magnaflow inline cylinder mufflers maybe?? thoughts? and then running a dual exhaust on a 45 degree exit out the back with 3 inch angle cut tips ... ( i like loud but the straight pipe burps and farts way to much.... i dont want a snap crack and pop truck lmao ) so im going for flow loud but refined. just really donno about this unichip but i like the idea of being able to control and monitor my air fuel etc and the bonus of controlling a few things on the obd II like tire size blah blah blah..... any help would be a huge help ... im considering dropping some coins and buying the trd supercharger installing myself and moving to a bigger pulley maybe?? i drive the 2009 4.0L so maybe my year matters on whats out there. as i have looked and read what everyone said here thus far today.

cheers guys, lets all build our doomsday machines...

i need some bumpers for running the zombies over maybe an arb or all pro ? thoughts?

LOVE PEACE AND AXLE GREASE.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #30
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulltacoma View Post
im going to bump this one, im curious im looking at an kit online from a guy close by selling a unichip programmer because he went up to the trd supercharger and claims he had to change to the trd programmer ecu. so for his price that wouldn't be bad to buy off of him and i would also buy the flux digital display because i run bigger tires ( the pictures of my truck are way old i should put some new ones up ) im considering doing a few mods like changing the exhaust i have a cia and etc etc runnning a straight piped exhaust ( just cut that huge f-in exhaust out and put a piece of pipe in hahaha) and it actually sounds pretty awesome and i have had no issues with the truck running like that at all. runs way better actually ( i put an aftermarket exhaust on it was crap ... should of bought a magnaflow ) so this time round im looking into doug thorley headers, maybe a different header idk any sugguestions guys??? with magnaflow inline cylinder mufflers maybe?? thoughts? and then running a dual exhaust on a 45 degree exit out the back with 3 inch angle cut tips ... ( i like loud but the straight pipe burps and farts way to much.... i dont want a snap crack and pop truck lmao ) so im going for flow loud but refined. just really donno about this unichip but i like the idea of being able to control and monitor my air fuel etc and the bonus of controlling a few things on the obd II like tire size blah blah blah..... any help would be a huge help ... im considering dropping some coins and buying the trd supercharger installing myself and moving to a bigger pulley maybe?? i drive the 2009 4.0L so maybe my year matters on whats out there. as i have looked and read what everyone said here thus far today.

i need some bumpers for running the zombies over maybe an arb or all pro ? thoughts?

WTF
Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 AM   #31
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I can't really say much on your exhaust (if you read my very first post lol) or even your unichip issue. If you do get the TRD supercharger I don't see why you would wanna a bigger pulley? lol I could see a smaller one to increase the output of the S/C. I know if you buy URD's supercharger there's room to upgrade to some serious horsepower if you do decide that!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #34
Get Boosted

Quote:
just trying to find some help about the unichips etc. i am considering dropping the hammer on the supercharger but i almost cannot justify doing it unless i get a decent power upgrade. when i am considering buying a diesel and getting way better numbers. for alot cheaper ( mind you the diesel will not even be close to stock. from everything from chip to transmission to turbo etc )
Okkay I see, the TRD supercharger alone jumps the engine from 236 to 304 so roughly 70 HP gain, if you get URD's supercharger you can reach up to 400 HP+ on the engine. If you looking just to chip you could get bigger gains on a diesel engine though just from what ive seen (don't know what chip was used). Up to you what you wanna do, I'd look into the total cost for you diesel then the cost of a S/C.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #35
06coma is on a distinguished road
Name: Phillip
06coma's Tacoma Gallery
How much can the stock 4.0 handle boost wise?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #37
Get Boosted

wow this is an old thread of mine when I was new to this lol just tells me how much I've learned over the year
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #38
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got a guy on XRU with a large turbo, making 460whp and 420wtq, at ~8.7psi.
But how much of the engine is 'stock'?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #40
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The whole thing. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted that.
I guess the next question is, how long do you expect it to last before it requires a complete overhaul and does the drivetrain put up with that kind of power?