Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How Much HP Can A 4.0L Push?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #41
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Isn't it fun to go back and read one's beginnings?
It is quite interesting to see where I started, everyone begins somewhere!
Old 11-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #43
thewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
thewarriordinghy's Tacoma Gallery
does your engine run lean with the trd 2nd gen intake and trd supercharger?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #44
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarriordinghy View Post
does your engine run lean with the trd 2nd gen intake and trd supercharger?
Rich as a pig if you're on the reflash
Old 11-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #45
thewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shedthewarriordinghy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
so id be fine with a reflash whenever I get the sc? as in NO problems killing my engine?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #46
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
He has a 2nd gen TRD intake. I've read that it will lean out even with the super rich TRD flash.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
He has a 2nd gen TRD intake. I've read that it will lean out even with the super rich TRD flash.
do you have to reflash? what if I switched intakes? id go with Volant or any CAI that is louder....
Old 11-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #48
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
do you have to reflash? what if I switched intakes? id go with Volant or any CAI that is louder....
You have to have the flash when you get the supercharger.

The Volant is at the other end of the scale by which I mean it makes the engine run more rich.

If you want super loud just get the K&N. My buddy didn't see a temp rise when running it but I still don't like it.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #49

Quote:
You have to have the flash when you get the supercharger.

The Volant is at the other end of the scale by which I mean it makes the engine run more rich.

If you want super loud just get the K&N. My buddy didn't see a temp rise when running it but I still don't like it.
I don't wanna lose HP though...and what is a reflash anyway?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #50
It wasn't a rock...

Quote:
I don't wanna lose HP though...and what is a reflash anyway?
The loss is on a NA (Naturally Aspirated) engine. It will act different with the blower on there.

The reflash or flash is a new map for the ECU to tell it that you have more air being forced in by the supercharger. If you don't have it when you hit boost with the supercharger you will really go lean and blow your engine.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #51

Quote:
The loss is on a NA (Naturally Aspirated) engine. It will act different with the blower on there.

The reflash or flash is a new map for the ECU to tell it that you have more air being forced in by the supercharger. If you don't have it when you hit boost with the supercharger you will really go lean and blow your engine.
would there be gains by the k&n then? and would the drive from my house to the dealer blow it up whenever I get one?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
It also allows for the larger injectors to run properly.

On '05-'08, the reflash isn't necessary. As a UCON or other can be installed (with injectors) and run the engine & s/c with out the reflash.
UCON? and it allows it to run properly? whats the easiest idiot proof one?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #54
It wasn't a rock...

Quote:
would there be gains by the k&n then? and would the drive from my house to the dealer blow it up whenever I get one?
I drove mine to the dealer. You just have to stay out of boost.
Quote:
UCON? and it allows it to run properly? whats the easiest idiot proof one?
TRD flash is all you need. The UCON is another grand for something you probably won't utilize to its full potential.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #55

Quote:
I drove mine to the dealer. You just have to stay out of boost.

TRD flash is all you need. The UCON is another grand for something you probably won't utilize to its full potential.
when does the boost start? do I have to drive really slow?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #56
It wasn't a rock...

Quote:
when does the boost start? do I have to drive really slow?
Since this system has a bypass valve, boost doesn't happen until you ask for it.

Are you doing the install?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #57

Quote:
Since this system has a bypass valve, boost doesn't happen until you ask for it.

Are you doing the install?
ask for it?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #58

itll be about a year before I can save enough to buy... hopin itll be me my uncle and my dad on the install
Old 11-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #59
It wasn't a rock...

Quote:
ask for it?
By ask for it I mean with your foot. High load/full throttle will close the bypass valve and the supercharger will start making boost.
Quote:
itll be about a year before I can save enough to buy... hopin itll be me my uncle and my dad on the install
Drive it easy to the dealer. Avoid hills if possible and drive like grandma.

Start using premium fuel a few tanks before you do the install so you are sure that the lower octane fuel is gone.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #60

Quote:
By ask for it I mean with your foot. High load/full throttle will close the bypass valve and the supercharger will start making boost.

Drive it easy to the dealer. Avoid hills if possible and drive like grandma.

Start using premium fuel a few tanks before you do the install so you are sure that the lower octane fuel is gone.
once I reflash, does it kick in at mid throttle? (currently I like the auto to shift anywhere from 2500-3500)