Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How Much HP Can A 4.0L Push?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
How Much HP Can A 4.0L Push?

Hello Everyone

Ive pretty much have my truck all TRD'ed out (engine wise, because of warranty);The engine is the 4.0L with TRD Supercharger, TRD Cold Air and TRD Cat Back Exhaust. I really dont know where HP stands right now but my guess may be around 315? The taco itself is a 2011 with 65,000 and had all its routine maintance done.

One concern is how much more power can the engine take with it completely stock without destroying anything? lol Since i woud like to jump horsepower just a little higher but not quite sure how, would you be able to tune the engine at all?

Thanks!
All is welcome to say their opinion
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Stop power is 236. I believe people are pushing 400 on stock internals but I'm not sure. XRU would have more info.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You should check out XRUnderground for some ideas on how to keep upgrading your engine. URD sells a tuner, MAF calibrators as well as aftermarket S/C pulleys and Non-Stop Tuning sells some other goodies like lightweight pullies, flywheels and I believe clutches. Aftermarket headers and a y-pipe would open it up a bit more also. Search for Toon or Torspd (there are others but those 2 come to mind quickly).
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
he is from Canada so that 65000 is in km not miles which is only about 40000miles. do you have the first or second gen trd intake? as mentioned you can do a smaller pulley although if you do headers and y-pipe with the trd cat back it will sound like poo. and dont expect to find a plug and play tuner as your truck is newer than 2009
Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthyota View Post
he is from Canada so that 65000 is in km not miles which is only about 40000miles. do you have the first or second gen trd intake? as mentioned you can do a smaller pulley although if you do headers and y-pipe with the trd cat back it will sound like poo. and dont expect to find a plug and play tuner as your truck is newer than 2009
Damn... just realized that URD's UCon system doesn't work past 2008. Sucks for you guys with newer trucks!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Stop power is 236. I believe people are pushing 400 on stock internals but I'm not sure. XRU would have more info.
Tha's good to know that engine internals are good till 400, im not really the one to tear apart the engine a whole lot lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amo-cat3 View Post
From what I've read on XRU stock internals ok up to ~400 hp. After that you should start upgrading internals. Throw on the URD 2.85 pulley and I'm sure you will be happy with the added ooomph!
Will the URD pulley fit on the TRD S/C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
Damn! you must drive a lot
haha i meant to say 65,000 KM and its still alot for a truck thats a year and a half old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You should check out XRUnderground for some ideas on how to keep upgrading your engine. URD sells a tuner, MAF calibrators as well as aftermarket S/C pulleys and Non-Stop Tuning sells some other goodies like lightweight pullies, flywheels and I believe clutches. Aftermarket headers and a y-pipe would open it up a bit more also. Search for Toon or Torspd (there are others but those 2 come to mind quickly).
I took a quick look at URD, sent them an email and no response back, so i dunno?? lol il look into XRUnderground see if they can help, lightweight pullies may be an idea and im steering more towards of a tune more then anything but il keep the ideas though!

Quote:
Yeah i may take into consideration a pulley but same as above. Ive got a second generation tacoma, did look for somekind of flash tuner but no luck after doing some searching i found nothing for this year anyway lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Damn... just realized that URD's UCon system doesn't work past 2008. Sucks for you guys with newer trucks!
Ouch well that suucks lol hopefully they can come up with something?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Not your cold air intake is it the 1st Gen or 2nd Gen the first Ben looks the same as the afe stage 2 si
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Get Boosted

Quote:
Not your cold air intake is it the 1st Gen or 2nd Gen the first Ben looks the same as the afe stage 2 si
Oh? the cold-air is this one here (didnt know there was a 1st or 2nd generation of a C.A.I): This is the exact same set up that I have (this is a different tacoma, not mine)
Attached Thumbnails
How Much HP Can A 4.0L Push?-1-1-.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Super Werty is another member that was into boosting the Taco if you hadn't stumbled onto any of his posts.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
would a y-pipe really do more than duels with an x-pipe?
Eh... When boosted probably not. Max flow is key when boosted
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma4Ever View Post
Oh? the cold-air is this one here (didnt know there was a 1st or 2nd generation of a C.A.I): This is the exact same set up that I have (this is a different tacoma, not mine)
That is the second gen TRD intake. Made by K&N I believe. (Little rumor I heard).

The first gen is known to flow/perform better than the second gen. It was made by AFe. But, was not CARB legal, since it removed the carbon filter.

URD is working hard to have something ready for the '09+ models, as far as their UCON goes.

Currently, there are only two companies that have plug n play harnesses for the '09+. Unichip, and ProEFI. ProEFI is very recently added to that list.

Small factoid, the plug on the '09+ Taco, are the same used in the ISF. o_O. Toon recently stumbled across that fact.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
I thought the second Gen intakes were made by aem
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Get Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Super Werty is another member that was into boosting the Taco if you hadn't stumbled onto any of his posts.
I'l look him up and send him a message thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
That is the second gen TRD intake. Made by K&N I believe. (Little rumor I heard).

The first gen is known to flow/perform better than the second gen. It was made by AFe. But, was not CARB legal, since it removed the carbon filter.

URD is working hard to have something ready for the '09+ models, as far as their UCON goes.

Currently, there are only two companies that have plug n play harnesses for the '09+. Unichip, and ProEFI. ProEFI is very recently added to that list.

Small factoid, the plug on the '09+ Taco, are the same used in the ISF. o_O. Toon recently stumbled across that fact.
Oh right on, i never seen the first generation then wish i heard about it before i got this one lol Are you sure those two companies actually make a reliable plug in and play? ive seen alot of "chips" in advertisements and from what ive seen on this site that their junk, its has me kinda skeptical about it now lol but im glad somone knows about it
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma4Ever View Post
Oh right on, i never seen the first generation then wish i heard about it before i got this one lol Are you sure those two companies actually make a reliable plug in and play? ive seen alot of "chips" in advertisements and from what ive seen on this site that their junk, its has me kinda skeptical about it now lol but im glad somone knows about it
These aren't Ebay chips. These are piggyback ECUs. Unichip is just the brand name of the ECU.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Get Boosted

Quote:
These aren't Ebay chips. These are piggyback ECUs. Unichip is just the brand name of the ECU.
oooooooh i see, lol seems as if ive a bit more learning to do with these ECU's lol
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This man is correct. The UniChip is a piggy back ecu. Been around a long time. Used to be extremely popular in the states. Very popular in UAE right now. Limited as far as ability goes though, and can only be tuned by an Authorized dealer.

ProEFI EMS' are Standalone. Just like other top brands, AEM, Motec, Vipec...etc.. They all have the ability to completely control everything. However, that comes with a higher price tag. Motec usually being the most expensive.

ProEFI recently overcame the plug availability for the Lexus ISF, and that is why they have the plugs for the '09+, or will in the very near future. They have two units available, but have yet to get the chance to map out the CAN system of the Tacoma. Should be done when i get mjne back up and running... So there are still bugs, such as CEL's, until that time comes. Unless someone else can get it done before me.

The UCON, is an inline, and in most cases the most user friendly. Plug it in, and don't worry about it. It usually comes pretuned, pretty close to how it needs to be. Major plus.
Just, have to wait until the plugs are finalized and URD has the ability to make them fit the '09+. It will happen, and most likely in the next few months.

In my opinion, the UCON is by far the best chose for you OP. Just keep your eyes peeled for its release for your year model.