Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What is the general favorite cat-back exhaust system?

Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
gold68ht is on a distinguished road

Army: UH-60/UH-1/UH-72 crew chief
gold68ht's Tacoma Gallery
What is the general favorite cat-back exhaust system?

I'll be honest, you'll never get the growl of a V8 from a V6, but there's got to be a favorite on this page, right?

I'm leaning hard toward the TRD after-cat system, since it's a simple bolt-on. Sounds mellow and quiet at idle, and doesn't seem to have the raspy chainsaw sound when you get on it.

Input?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Get ready for a
Old 10-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
For me, it was the MBRP dual exhaust system...
Old 10-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

The YouTube clip made the MRBP sound a little chainsaw-like, I thought. Did you do much comparison shopping? I like the price on the MRBP, maybe the YouTube spot wasn't a good enough audio clip. Most of the goofballs that post on there start it, nail the throttle, WOT, and that's it. I just want a quiet idle and a little growl on the highway. Does the MRBP have a "drone" at interstate speeds?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Youtube it up and figure it out for yourself. I have links to my exhaust in my sig.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Youtube it up and figure it out for yourself. I have links to my exhaust in my sig.
You love flowmaster!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
You love flowmaster!!!
Negative. I wouldn't hit that is I was drunk.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You can't base really any exhaust off of a cell-phone or camcorder clip on youtube or anywhere else for that matter. Trust me if it sounded chain-saw like, it sure as hell wouldn't be on my truck. You can tell you have a different exhaust on it at start up, that's for sure. Got a nice rumble to it if you ask me. I haven't noticed any drone at highway speeds either. Best bet is to find someone who has an other than stock exhaust on it and hear it for yourself.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #9

Yeah, I agree, but I live in the DC area, and everyone here drives a silver or black BMW. Thanks for your input. How did you mount the dual system? Got pictures?

I had counted out the Banks system, but Whippersnapper's clip sounds good. I wonder if they make a long-bed version, though?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Banned
The Banks kit is for long beds. The mid pipe has to get cut for the short bed.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Retired Senior NCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold68ht View Post
Yeah, I agree, but I live in the DC area, and everyone here drives a silver or black BMW. Thanks for your input. How did you mount the dual system? Got pictures?

I had counted out the Banks system, but Whippersnapper's clip sounds good. I wonder if they make a long-bed version, though?

Here is a quick pic of the rear of my truck and some pics of the kit as well...

Here is a link to the install paperwork...

http://mbrpautomotive.com/products/i...ions/S5300.pdf
Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #12

I didn't realize there was a hanger already installed on the driver's side after the axle....
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Retired Senior NCO

There isn't. The kit comes with one that you bolt onto the driver's side.

Circled in yellow in this picture...

Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #14

Alright, I should thank most everyone on here for their input on this, but I decided to go with the TRD setup.

The rant begins here: I found a serious deal on the TRD, and that made my decision for me. Found on eBay, from a toyota dealer in Miami. You can probably figure out the rest of the story from here.

They shipped it to me fully assembled. With only the ends plugged, and a single layer of bubble wrap over the chrome tip. If I cared enough, I would launch it back to them right away. The chrome tip is dented with a deep abrasion. As are the bends in the system that you would expect to get if you shuffled it back and forth on the floor of a warehouse.

I'm not a guy who keeps his truck spotless like a show car, so I'll keep it. If my job settles down enough, I might do a step-by-step install.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the general favorite cat-back exhaust system?-img_2742.jpg  
Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
Retired Senior NCO

That's a hell of a packing job right there.....

On a side note, that thing looks awful damn long too.......
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
If I had it to do over I wouldn't get my TRD again.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Old Newbie
Chad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad7088's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=sfcadams;5841406]That's a hell of a packing job right there.....

x2....

Were the all the connections welded? Is this why they couldn't disassemble it and package it better?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
....On a side note, that thing looks awful damn long too.......
My truck is a double-cab long bed, though. Damn thing is long as a suburban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
If I had it to do over I wouldn't get my TRD again.
It isn't my first choice, but the wife rides with me a lot. And my '70 mustang is already known as the obnoxious car in the subdivision. No need to further aggravate the neighbors.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Smile exhaust

i bought the flowmaster american thunder dual setup. hate the sound and drone in cab at any speed. going to change to an afe single system. you want to buy the flowmaster? take a vacation to florida and pick it up.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod45 View Post
i bought the flowmaster american thunder dual setup. hate the sound and drone in cab at any speed. going to change to an afe single system. you want to buy the flowmaster? take a vacation to florida and pick it up.