1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing coil packs when changing spark plugs and wires

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 01kingtaco, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    01kingtaco

01kingtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kodiak
    Maui hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 taco slightly modded
    Bigger tires, sound system, deck plate mod, fog light mod, straight pipe exhaust, blue led floor lights, ultragauge, 3 inch lift
    Goin to change spark plugs and wires on on my 3.4 Tacoma don't know they last time they were replaced so I wana replace them my trucks got 135,000 miles should I replace the coil packs sense I'm taking them out anyways? Has anybody else done this? They look like the factory ones so never been changed and I don't see in the maintaince plan bout changing them.

2. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    Nice turck
    well I am going to get bombed again but here it goes.
    now I believe in Hawaii, you have a rainy season and it rains almost every day for half a year, never been, but maybe some day.
    the coils on the 3.4 are all dual spark 3 ing coils on pass side, and wires and boots on drivers side. wires aren't bad, but the coils are about 75-80 each on Amazon or rockauto.. or ebay,
    weather usually catches up with them, extreme conditions. I have done everything on mine except the coils and she has 177,000 and pre owner was slack on some maintance... and I have a emissions test and with winter coming I am doing it next week.
    get oem parts. dual tip plugs are a must. and the densco stuff workes the best.. and get a few packs of dialectal grease, and do the coils real good, and the plug boots also to protect from moisture.
    oh, the wire set from denso is length specif.take off only one wire set at time, match and rerplace, it snaps in easier that way.
    now the plugs need to be gapped right, its not too hard.
    plugs usually 30,000
    people vary on this but wire sets 90,000 is fair and you get your monies wouth.
    and the coils 100,000 to 125,00 and you have gotten the best out of them.
    with the the dual spark system, one coil is firing 2 cylinders, so if one fails, 2 cylinders are dead.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Oct 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    01kingtaco

01kingtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kodiak
    Maui hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 taco slightly modded
    Bigger tires, sound system, deck plate mod, fog light mod, straight pipe exhaust, blue led floor lights, ultragauge, 3 inch lift
    Yea ur kinda boned if one fails! It don't rain a ton here in winter in a dryer part of Maui but in the jungle it rains a inch a day everyday! But I'm not up there. Yea maybe ik change them at like 150,000 or something

4. Oct 7, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    and it's not going to hurt anything, and you have to pull them out to change the plugs, wipe them down a rag, give em a good inspection, regrease em and they should not give you any surprises, that's the one thing about changing the plugs every 30,000 give one a chance to inspect every thing.

5. Oct 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    make sure you go OEM for the coil packs! People always say aftermarket ones cause nothing but trouble

6. Oct 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    Yes, use Denso, also I have read that when the coil starts to fail or as it fails it can cause your truck to backfire, and I think everyone would agree, that this is the last thing your cat. needs.
    so that is one reason I balance the price of 3 coils at about 85 dollars each online vs. catalytic converter.

7. Oct 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    trigama3

trigama3 Member

Member:
    rs9000 with my ride controller. BFG rugged terrain 2012 tread style.
    I am a firm believer in being prepared so I am ordering 3 coils and keeping the old ones in my truck! 150k miles I tend to get out in the booneys when I hunt
    maybe my mileage will go up lol

8. Oct 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Use some dielectric grease on the boots to keep moisture out.

Ceedub53 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top