Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Changing coil packs when changing spark plugs and wires

Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kodiak
01kingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Changing coil packs when changing spark plugs and wires

Goin to change spark plugs and wires on on my 3.4 Tacoma don't know they last time they were replaced so I wana replace them my trucks got 135,000 miles should I replace the coil packs sense I'm taking them out anyways? Has anybody else done this? They look like the factory ones so never been changed and I don't see in the maintaince plan bout changing them.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Nice turck
well I am going to get bombed again but here it goes.
now I believe in Hawaii, you have a rainy season and it rains almost every day for half a year, never been, but maybe some day.
the coils on the 3.4 are all dual spark 3 ing coils on pass side, and wires and boots on drivers side. wires aren't bad, but the coils are about 75-80 each on amazon or rockauto.. or ebay,
weather usually catches up with them, extreme conditions. I have done everything on mine except the coils and she has 177,000 and pre owner was slack on some maintance... and I have a emissions test and with winter coming I am doing it next week.
get oem parts. dual tip plugs are a must. and the densco stuff workes the best.. and get a few packs of dialectal grease, and do the coils real good, and the plug boots also to protect from moisture.
oh, the wire set from denso is length specif.take off only one wire set at time, match and rerplace, it snaps in easier that way.
now the plugs need to be gapped right, its not too hard.
plugs usually 30,000
people vary on this but wire sets 90,000 is fair and you get your monies wouth.
and the coils 100,000 to 125,00 and you have gotten the best out of them.
with the the dual spark system, one coil is firing 2 cylinders, so if one fails, 2 cylinders are dead.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold01kingtaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kodiak
01kingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yea ur kinda boned if one fails! It don't rain a ton here in winter in a dryer part of Maui but in the jungle it rains a inch a day everyday! But I'm not up there. Yea maybe ik change them at like 150,000 or something
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

and it's not going to hurt anything, and you have to pull them out to change the plugs, wipe them down a rag, give em a good inspection, regrease em and they should not give you any surprises, that's the one thing about changing the plugs every 30,000 give one a chance to inspect every thing.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Yes, use Denso, also I have read that when the coil starts to fail or as it fails it can cause your truck to backfire, and I think everyone would agree, that this is the last thing your cat. needs.
so that is one reason I balance the price of 3 coils at about 85 dollars each online vs. catalytic converter.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
trigama3 is on a distinguished road
trigama3's Tacoma Gallery
I am a firm believer in being prepared so I am ordering 3 coils and keeping the old ones in my truck! 150k miles I tend to get out in the booneys when I hunt
maybe my mileage will go up lol