1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbocharger experiences

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by jman65, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Oct 10, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    jman65

jman65 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonas
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    04 Limited
    Bone Stock! for now...
    Hi guys,
    I'm brand new to the forum but I've had my 04 limited for a couple of years now. It's bone stock and it's time for more power. I'm going to have twin turbos and I need some advise from those who've "been there and done that."

I own a turbo business (so please don't try and talk me into an SC :) ). Believe it or not, I don't know anyone who's had direct experience with turbos and Tacomas. I can do the math and pick the right turbos for the power I want, but I'd like to know what I should expect to break first? Can the stock engine handle more than 5 PSI? What do I do with the tranny? etc?

I'm looking for around 250-300 HP to the tires.

Thanks!

2. Oct 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    inthebag87

inthebag87 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner
    Be careful i doubt the tacoma comes with forged internals and pushing close to 300hp ( especially at the wheels) might be dangerous. If you do need forged internals then god be with your wallet lol. Had a turbo'd S2000 and thankfully the internals could handle upwards of 600hp without any swapping of the internals. If only all engines could be like that.

3. Oct 11, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I am assuming that you have the 5vz 3.4 L correct?

4. Oct 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    Include pics!!!

5. Oct 11, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Masirti Bi-turbo comes to mind on the rare occasion they ran right they were killer. I think you may have a winner there the Toyota runs right in the first place. Think your right on the boast pressure. Pair of IHI's?

6. Oct 11, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  7. Oct 11, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
  8. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    If yours is a 5vz, you have a very strong platform to start with. You will be just fine at 8 psi on stock rods and pistons. Those, Cometic head gaskets, and ARP head studs, if you want to safely do more.

Not sure how strong the crank is compared to the 2rz/3rz, but I know the block itself is good for 1k HP.

What do you plan to use for tuning?

9. Oct 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    jman65

jman65 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonas
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    04 Limited
    Bone Stock! for now...
    Thanks for the replies!

Yes, it is the 5vz 3.4L. 8 PSI is about where I expected to be, so this build might be cheaper than I thought.
    IHI turbos would be a good choice, I wish I'd thought of it. My original plan was to use the smallest BW EFR turbos, but after 2 years they still haven't been released. My second thought was some K03s.

Tuning is the biggest mystery. I have practical experience with diesel, but the most I've done with gas is help others pick the right size turbo. I've never mess with tuning on a gas engine. Can you point me in the right direction? Injector help would be nice as well.

10. Oct 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    jman65

jman65 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonas
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    04 Limited
    Bone Stock! for now...
  11. Oct 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    jman65

jman65 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonas
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    04 Limited
    Bone Stock! for now...
    I'll post pics tomorrow, but's not much to look at. It really is bone stock.

12. Oct 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Those EFR turbos just recently started to be released again. Still going to be are while before they are readily available though.

Depends on how capable you want your tuning device to be, but the ones I can think of would be Megasquirt, AEM, Haltech, or ProEFI. The later three nice units have more than enough capability to do all of your tuning needs.

13. Oct 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    jman65

jman65 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonas
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    04 Limited
    Bone Stock! for now...
    Thanks for the programming tips, I'll look into 'em.

You don't need to tell me about EFR woes. My company is an EFR distributors. I had a couple of the first ones produced, but ended up selling them thinking I'd get the next shipment in a week... that was almost 2 years ago!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help.

14. Oct 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I have some friends at performance shops singing the same tune man. I feel your pain man.

15. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner

Products Discussed in

To Top