Notices

Turbocharger experiences

Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
jman65 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonas
jman65's Tacoma Gallery
Turbocharger experiences

Hi guys,
I'm brand new to the forum but I've had my 04 limited for a couple of years now. It's bone stock and it's time for more power. I'm going to have twin turbos and I need some advise from those who've "been there and done that."

I own a turbo business (so please don't try and talk me into an SC ). Believe it or not, I don't know anyone who's had direct experience with turbos and Tacomas. I can do the math and pick the right turbos for the power I want, but I'd like to know what I should expect to break first? Can the stock engine handle more than 5 PSI? What do I do with the tranny? etc?

I'm looking for around 250-300 HP to the tires.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
inthebag87 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
inthebag87's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful i doubt the tacoma comes with forged internals and pushing close to 300hp ( especially at the wheels) might be dangerous. If you do need forged internals then god be with your wallet lol. Had a turbo'd S2000 and thankfully the internals could handle upwards of 600hp without any swapping of the internals. If only all engines could be like that.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Include pics!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Masirti Bi-turbo comes to mind on the rare occasion they ran right they were killer. I think you may have a winner there the Toyota runs right in the first place. Think your right on the boast pressure. Pair of IHI's?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
XRU.com has way more info. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Subdd
Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
jman65's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, it is the 5vz 3.4L. 8 PSI is about where I expected to be, so this build might be cheaper than I thought.
IHI turbos would be a good choice, I wish I'd thought of it. My original plan was to use the smallest BW EFR turbos, but after 2 years they still haven't been released. My second thought was some K03s.

Tuning is the biggest mystery. I have practical experience with diesel, but the most I've done with gas is help others pick the right size turbo. I've never mess with tuning on a gas engine. Can you point me in the right direction? Injector help would be nice as well.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
jman65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Nice! That might be a little much for me
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
jman65's Tacoma Gallery
I'll post pics tomorrow, but's not much to look at. It really is bone stock.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Those EFR turbos just recently started to be released again. Still going to be are while before they are readily available though.

Depends on how capable you want your tuning device to be, but the ones I can think of would be Megasquirt, AEM, Haltech, or ProEFI. The later three nice units have more than enough capability to do all of your tuning needs.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
jman65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Those EFR turbos just recently started to be released again. Still going to be are while before they are readily available though.

Depends on how capable you want your tuning device to be, but the ones I can think of would be Megasquirt, AEM, Haltech, or ProEFI. The later three nice units have more than enough capability to do all of your tuning needs.
Thanks for the programming tips, I'll look into 'em.

You don't need to tell me about EFR woes. My company is an EFR distributors. I had a couple of the first ones produced, but ended up selling them thinking I'd get the next shipment in a week... that was almost 2 years ago!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
The easiest way to fuel and tune a turbo 5VZ is the URD Turbo Port Fueler.

It is what we used on our 5VZ turbo kits.

http://urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-URD-...duct_info.html

G