Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

200 hp without a Supercharger

Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
inthebag87 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
inthebag87's Tacoma Gallery
200 hp without a Supercharger

I know that everyone knows how under powered the 4 cylinder tacoma is. I'm ok with it for the most part but when i'm driving in hilly areas it becomes a task to keep up with traffic. I can't help but think that a 2.7 liter engine should be capable of well over 159 hp. Hell my Mazda 3 that i had before this made 160 with 2.0l.

I guess my question is, is there a way to significantly increase power without with out a going forced induction? Of course the regular thing such a intake and manifold as well as exhaust and the manifold that goes with that. But what about rocker arms and spring replacement? injectors and a remapping?

My knowledge of this engine isn't that extensive yet so i ask you. Any information would be great. Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I had a pretty intensive thread going on getting a V6 up to over 300 without going forced induction. I would guess getting 40 HP is going to be pretty tough. Headers exhaust intake filter. Those are good to get some.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
trade it in for a 4L with the supercharger...if you're concerned about power and bought the 2.7, you got the wrong truck...just saying
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsk8air2 View Post
trade it in for a 4L with the supercharger...if you're concerned about power and bought the 2.7, you got the wrong truck...just saying
^ THIS
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
I had a pretty intensive thread going on getting a V6 up to over 300 without going forced induction. I would guess getting 40 HP is going to be pretty tough. Headers exhaust intake filter. Those are good to get some.
I would say that I am around 250-260 in my truck peak... With a new Y pipe and full engine control I feel like I could be pretty close to 280. 300 is doable, but it would require some fairly expensive mods.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The Mazda engine is completely different than the Taco engine. Also the Mazda engine was designed to make more horsepower up top while the Taco engine was designed to make more low end torque since it is a truck.

You can mod all day but you will spend way more money than the cost of a blower to get the power you want.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
A few things to consider:

Less weight is the same as more power as far as getting up to speed and climbing hills. If you have a standard cab then you have helped the cause, 2WD saves hundreds of pounds also. But once you buy the truck about all you can do is make sure you are not hauling around any unneeded weight. Say NO to heavy tires.

For more performance consider swaping the 4.10 gears for 4.56 gears in you differetial(s). This won't hurt gas mileage much but will liven up the performance.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Rev the engine to keep up. It can take it.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #12

oh PS if I wasnt building my truck to race I would throw a small block in or a blower in it and not waste my time with the 4.0L
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
What if you just put a V6 in it
Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #14
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to sleep so short answer now, explain more later. Quit thinking in terms of numbers, what you need is mods that also increase the powerband into your lower RPMs. 200hp means fuck all if it takes till 5500 rpms till you can use it. Hence why some headers show miniscule "hp" gains even though they move your powerband 4-500 rpms lowers.

Easy stuff:
- Premium fuel
- all synthetic drivetrain fluids
- lightweight pullies
- Performance plugs
- intakes & exhausts meant to bring power band lower, not just increase up top.
- tune.

You could easily hit 200 hp with about 1700-2000$ spent at the right places. and increase your mpg's quite a bit too. My Xrunner was getting 23-25mpgs.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsk8air2 View Post
I got the 2.7 because the v6's that they had were all 30k and up. I'm not worried about power but it is something i was thinking about. Im in no rush but if there are things i can do over time to increase the power then i'm all for it. just saying lol
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #17
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthebag87 View Post
I got the 2.7 because the v6's that they had were all 30k and up. I'm not worried about power but it is something i was thinking about. Im in no rush but if there are things i can do over time to increase the power then i'm all for it. just saying lol
All the power to ya, pun intended. Which upgrades do you plan to do first?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
What if you just put a V6 in it
haha, I wish. I really wouldn't mind doing that but not until later when i would have to money
Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #20
Twistinemup307 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
Twistinemup307's Tacoma Gallery
What about Cam gears for the 4 cyl? I bet that and maybe some cylinder boring after that lol i have no idea

^^^ nice morpheous lol