1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra 3.4 v6 engine questions

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by BackwoodsTaco, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Oct 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    BackwoodsTaco

BackwoodsTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Stokes, NC (Eastern NC)
    Vehicle:
    Radiant Red 01 DC, 4X4, SR5, Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, TRS RetroFit, Deck Plate Mod, No Chime Mod, Fog Light Mod, CB/ashtray Mod, 2.5" Spacer Lift, 1.25" Lift Shackles, 4 Tab Light Bar From Eddie209
    A few months ago I messed up the engine in my taco and I found a good deal on a engine out of a tundra and I just wanted to know if there would be anything that I would need to be awear of before I buy it. my truck is a 01 taco and the tundra is an 04

2. Oct 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I have done a couple of Japanese pull-out swaps, and generally only the external plumbing varies, and possibly some wiring harnesses. Since it is the same engine you should be fine, just don't tear up your original hoses and wiring.

3. Oct 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    BackwoodsTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Stokes, NC (Eastern NC)
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, TRS RetroFit, Deck Plate Mod, No Chime Mod, Fog Light Mod, CB/ashtray Mod, 2.5" Spacer Lift, 1.25" Lift Shackles, 4 Tab Light Bar From Eddie209
    Ok thanks man. So the wire harness is the only differance?

4. Oct 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I am just guessing based on my experience with Japanese pull-out motors (crate motors that get removed from salvaged cars in Japan and sent over here to be sold as replacements).

I am assuming that the core motor is the same, but that some of the items attached to the motor to connect it to surrounding engine bay items may be slightly different. That could include the wiring and any vacuum or fluid plumbing. For instance, the radiator hoses might have a different shape on the Tundra, but they still connect to the same spot on the motor. You might also need your Tacoma oil pan, those can be slightly different as well.

If you have all of these items from your current vehicle, you should be fine, you just might have to mix and match things to get it to work.

5. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    BackwoodsTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Stokes, NC (Eastern NC)
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks. The engine I'm getting comes with everything but the starter and trans.

Products Discussed in

To Top