Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2nd gen marlin gears

Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen marlin gears

I have gone to the Marlin site and checked out the goods. Just awesome!
Am a bit confused with the core charge and such.
I am just looking for a gear reduction in the T-case. Would like to drop down to a 4:1 ratio. I am an 06 access cab. I am probably just missing something but has anyone else bought the gear set and put it in? Or have people just done the T-case swap?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to know how difficult it is. New tcase gears would be great.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Can't change the gearing in a chain driven case
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
You can not put lower gears in your existing transfercase.
It is chain driven and does not allow for a reduction gear to be swapped.

You have 2 options:
Either adding a crawl box or going with the "lefty" hybrid case which is an older gear driven transfer case that has adapters to turn it into a drivers side drop.

Time for you to start some reading.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold

Great, more reading besides the hours of Solid Axle Conversion threads

thx
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Read in the RockSolidToys forum and read everything that awsmdc has written
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Thx for that too,
Just looking at the Marlin site again I see the combo is only adaptable to the auto transmission from what I see anyway. I am the 6spd variety
hmm
I will check out Wyatts build though
Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Hey Wrmathis,
Very nice build. I see where you are coming from. You went with the inchworm setup I see.
It sounds like to get the crawl ratio I am looking for the chain drive has to go completely
Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Dark Lord of the Sith

My tcase is still chain driven, I just put a crawl box in between the tcase and the transmission
Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Dark Lord of the Sith

Also, I have a 6spd too. No auto here
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Have you had any problems with the low ratio and existing t-case.
Reason why I am asking is the Marlin site suggests possible problems. I could be reading it entirely wrong though lol
Wouldn't be the first time
Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
Dark Lord of the Sith

No, did everything that Wyatt has done over and over again
Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #13
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomakev View Post
Have you had any problems with the low ratio and existing t-case.
Reason why I am asking is the Marlin site suggests possible problems. I could be reading it entirely wrong though lol
Wouldn't be the first time
You shouldn't have any issues with a marlin crawler in front of your chain case. I have run this setup on my truck for years and have put it on many others as well. Never had a issue.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
thx for that.
Was cruising the RST trip report you guys just did. Every single sas truck I have been drooling over was on that trip!
That is quite a contingent of crawlers down your way
Nice work
When it comes time to do the work I may just do a drive down the coast and drop my truck off with you guys for a few weeks!