Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

New TRD "TVS" S/c For the D-VVTi 1GR-FE at SEMA

Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
New TRD "TVS" S/c For the D-VVTi 1GR-FE at SEMA

Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
This a different style for the TRD supercharger or what? lol
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Next Gen charger for the Dual VVTi
Old 11-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Interesting, wonder if there was improvement on this SC from the old one? Other then like a redesign lol il have to read up on this
Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma4Ever View Post
Interesting, wonder if there was improvement on this SC from the old one? Other then like a redesign lol il have to read up on this
Seeing that the old design is approaching 7 years old. I would hope some material advances, giving slightly better efficiency..
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Get Boosted

That would be nice for better MPG's, I would be amazed and kinda bummed if toyota gave it more boost to the engine or they will keep it at 6 PSI ish lol
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some more info on it:

"Power comes from the V6 4.0-liter engine that has gained a TRD supercharger with a Twin Vortices System (TVS) and a big air-to-water intercooler. Thanks to these changes, the engine is now 30 percent more powerful and has 25 percent more torque, producing 345 hp (257 kW) at 3,500 rpm and a peak torque of 340 lb-ft (460 Nm) at 3,500 rpm."

Link:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11210264...g-at-2012-sema

kinda wish we could retrofit DVVT-i into our engines and use this SC...that's a big bump in power over our vvt-i 1gr-fe
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarbob View Post

"Power comes from the V6 4.0-liter engine that has gained a TRD supercharger with a Twin Vortices System (TVS) and a big air-to-water intercooler. Thanks to these changes, the engine is now 30 percent more powerful and has 25 percent more torque, producing 345 hp (257 kW) at 3,500 rpm and a peak torque of 340 lb-ft (460 Nm) at 3,500 rpm."

Link:

kinda wish we could retrofit DVVT-i into our engines and use this SC...that's a big bump in power over our vvt-i 1gr-fe
It won't be cheap but can be done along with a dvvt-i engine. Just a matter of $$$.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Get Boosted

Damn that's a nice jump from 236 to 345!! got ripped off 41 HP with the old one! haha

To bad we can't use it -.-
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
It won't be cheap but can be done along with a dvvt-i engine. Just a matter of $$$.
just speculating, what would entail going from vvt-i to dual on our engines?

Is the block the same? the heads? Obviously new electronics and the intelligence system on exhaust cam...but i feel like you basically have to install new heads...just curious
Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #11

Wouldn't a D-VVTi Engine drop in place of our current one? They should still bolt up to the tranny fine.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Silver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silver DC's Tacoma Gallery
Will be getting one for the wifey's 4runner. Should be out sometime in the summer
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Link:

Based off the base dyno charts we have, there is an average of 16% drive train loss, with stock drive-train components. So assuming the same loss for the dual VVT vehicles, that BHP number translates into approximately 289 whp, bolt on.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #14

Not bad at all
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just speculating, what would entail going from vvt-i to dual on our engines?

Is the block the same? the heads? Obviously new electronics and the intelligence system on exhaust cam...but i feel like you basically have to install new heads...just curious
Not sure about bolt up differences on components, but being that the heads have rockers instead of just bearing caps with shim buckets, that will create some differences I'd imagine. The block itself should most likely be different internally on the bottom end. Since the crank now only has 5 counterweights compared to I think 9 on the non dual VVT engines. Lucario Runner has those specs.

Down side is that they increased compression and have less counterweights. Thus makes a less boost happy engine.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Wouldn't a D-VVTi Engine drop in place of our current one? They should still bolt up to the tranny fine.
The dvvti should bolt up exactly as the vvti though you would need the electronics with it to run it. The engine is not exactly the same as heads and internal components has slight differences so much better to get a complete dvvti engine rather than making vvti to dvvti though I don't think the amount of money that will be spent in doing so justify the gain.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
the new dvvti engine is rated at 270hp so its still only a 70hp gain. its also supposed to unmodifiable unlike the current sc for the vvti motor. this is due to a very small snout pulley and the location of the oil filter make fitting a larger crank pulley very very difficult. the only way it may be possible to get more boost out of it would be to due a snakebite overdrive system.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Twistinemup307 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
Twistinemup307's Tacoma Gallery
Its so damn sexy haha
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #19
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Not sure about bolt up differences on components, but being that the heads have rockers instead of just bearing caps with shim buckets, that will create some differences I'd imagine. The block itself should most likely be different internally on the bottom end. Since the crank now only has 5 counterweights compared to I think 9 on the non dual VVT engines. Lucario Runner has those specs.

Down side is that they increased compression and have less counterweights. Thus makes a less boost happy engine.
do not forget the low weight engine oil too. Toyota did many things to this engine so for it to be called a 1grfe is a mistake. On the bottom end the cylinders have been hollowed out on the bottom of the piston head to reduce weight. The shape of the piston has also changed. The crankshaft also had some revisions made. The new dual VVT-i have a 5 counter weighted shaft compared to the previous one which had 9. Compression has increased to 10.4:1 from 10.0:1. In essence the bore and stroke have been left unchanged. Interesting enough though is that a pressure sensor for the power steering has been added. The cylinder heads have gone under a big revision as well, but we already knew that. The biggest feature, besides the dual vvt-i. is that a roller rocker arm is used and that the camshaft housing is separate from the rest of the cylinder head.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #20

What do you mean by a 5 versus 9 counter weight?