Notices

Tuning Issues - Loss of HP

Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
AZWildcat is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Ladder Capt. turned Medic
Name: Rickster
AZWildcat's Tacoma Gallery
Tuning Issues - Loss of HP

Alright Guys and Gals here is my first post since becoming a member.

I recently decided to make a few upgrades to my 03 Tacoma. It has had a S/C since it left the dealership in 03. So put the URD 7th injector and 2.2 pulley, did a deck plate mod, and threw on some JBA short tubes (bitch to put on alone). A few days later I took it to get tuned (hey, I have a piggy back now! - let's tune it baby!!!)

Here'e the let down. The tuner I went to could not get this truck to stop losing power in the 3500 rpm range. He pulled timing, pulled fuel, added fuel - nothing worked. He pulled up previous 03 Tacomas and found a similar trend with em. He attributed it to "supercharger resonance". I had the S/C retorqued at the dealership. Still this problem is present, and it is VERY annoying. I attached the charts from the tune (yes, it was a few months ago...)

any ideas? questions I can clarify? I want ideas before I spend money on another tuning session.

thank you in advance for any ideas/suggestion/solutions <---that would be awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Tuning Issues - Loss of HP-t-boost.jpg   Tuning Issues - Loss of HP-t-power.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Is your belt slipping? That 2.2 pulley is the URD Supergrip pulley correct? It is designed to help prevent belt slippage. So first thing I would check is to make sure the belt tensioner is nice and tight.

There was a guy on Custom Tacos that found that if he flipped something with the s/c tensioner he picked up extra psi from a lack of slippage. Bwil was his name I believe.

Looking at your pictures, you can see a drop in boost at the same rpm where there is a drop in power. To me, that is due to belt slippage.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
AZWildcat is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Ladder Capt. turned Medic
Name: Rickster
AZWildcat's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the idea. Yes, the 2.2 pulley I have is the URD supergrip.

I had not thought of belt slippage and I'll double check the tensioner. I'll also go over to custom tacos and see what I can find out there. Thank you again.