Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

AEM > K&N

Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Soccerdallin is on a distinguished road

Name: Dallin
Soccerdallin's Tacoma Gallery
HELP with CAI

Whaddup ya'll. simple question for my 2004 Taco.

My K&N CAI keeps making my engine light go off, with the shop guys saying that these filters trap so much crap around the MAF on Tacomas and he said to go get an AEM Brute Force since they're oil-air nothin but cold air. I've heard they're louder, just as good in performance for the little gains you get, and that it makes your exhausts make a different sound.

Anyone had an AEM or same problems as me with the K&N?
Wondering if spending the extra $259.88 will be worth it to make the switch.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I have an AEM dry flow filter on my K&N.....the K&N was way louder but I wanted a dry one so the maf doesn't get oil and crap on it!

I think K&N took over AEM and still sells under their name but they're the same products?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

Hmm..so you had a K&N but then switched the end filter with an AEM?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, found the exact same size/dimensions and it's dry!

Just measure yours and pick the closest one!
http://www.aemintakes.com/store/univcone.aspx

You may need to clean off your maf though, unplug the battery and switch them....see if that re-sets the maf!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #5

right on!
I'm wondering if I should do that, or just buy a the whole AEM instead of just the dry tip to put on my K&N but am not sure if it'll make a difference or not..

crap
Old 11-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Have you cleaned your MAF and checked the gasket to make sure you have a good seal? I know a lot of people get CEL's from over oiling the K&N and it clogs the MAF. Simple fix.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
For that style, the "magic" is the open filter.....the tubing is universal from a $50 auto zone one to the most expensive!

The dry one's have thicker material as it doesn't have the oil to use as a trap/filter so it will be less noisy when you step on it. Trade off is a truck that doesn't suck too much crap in the engine!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #8

Well I actually cleaned the MAF and my engine light went off, but I've been talking to some shop guys that said the AEM intakes are better for the taco's from '98 +. One guys said he ruined his MAF on his Porsche with a K&N too..
reviews on the AEM look solid

Products Discussed in this Thread