Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How Long Does It Take for Your Heater to Blow Warm/Hot Air?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
How Long Does It Take for Your Heater to Blow Warm/Hot Air?

Sorry, if I put this is the wrong section, but it seemed like a "performance" issue I guess...

Now that it is getting colder, I have noticed that my heater takes a long time to blow warm air (if at all). I have a 15 minute drive to work and warm air only comes out if I am accelerating. And when I come to a stop sign and idle, the air actually gets cold. The engine temp gets to midway just a few minutes after driving, but I can't seem to get warm air to blow out. I have the "recirculate" button pressed, which helps some, but that kicks itself off for some reason.

Anyone experience anything like this or have any suggestions to make my Taco into a furnace again?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Right now in Texas during the nights it gets around 50, not much but just stating this for comparison reasons. Anyways at night it takes about 15 mins or to really feel "warm and cozy."

My solution: I was thinking about getting a Remote Start for the truck so I can pre-heat the cabin before I climb in. Going to look into it this weekend.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Bad thermostat? Sounds like its stuck full on. If its super cold where you are, like below 0 F... sometimes it helps to block off your grill a bit.

Also check your coolant level. My truck gets warm within about 2-3 minutes and hot within about 5
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^ Just changed it last week, no change in status.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
You've never put tap water into your radiator before have you? That can also clog the system, particularly the heater core.

No water leaks on the floorboards? All dry?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
if the temp gauge is normal, don't even consider anything other than heater core or heater control issues.
can you expand on that a little bit?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlleiber View Post
can you expand on that a little bit?
Sure, only pointing out that mid range temp readings indicate proper engine temp. Also could indicate enough coolant.

I would look at the temp controller (IE: heater control valve or what ever it has in place). or the vents themselves being blocked somehow, also is the fan blowing properly?

is it possible you are still under warranty?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Install a electric radiator fan.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Install a electric radiator fan.
I'm sorry but what the heck would that do for him?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #12
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Thursday morning it was 27 degrees out and before I started the truck the coolant temp read 35. I turned the dial to full heat.

Idled for one minute before driving, temp passed 80 and climbing.

First stop sign, three quarters of a mile away, 130F and climbing, just starting to get heated air.

Next stop sign was three miles down the road, 186F, highest temp it gets to. Hot air started to cook me out of the truck and I had to turn it down to halfway up the dial.

Having a partial grill block really helps on those cold mornings.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I'm sorry but what the heck would that do for him?
An electric fan will only come on after the truck has reached operating engine temperatures. So the car will warm up faster on startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
Thursday morning it was 27 degrees out and before I started the truck the coolant temp read 35. I turned the dial to full heat.

First stop sign, three quarters of a mile away, 130F and climbing, just starting to get heated air.

Next stop sign was three miles down the road, 186F, highest temp it gets to. Hot air started to cook me out of the truck and I had to turn it down to halfway up the dial.

although the temps in Phoenix are not that cold, this is how my truck acts too. My heater is plenty warm after the third mile. I dont turn them on untill then because id rather have no air than cold air blowing at my feet.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery

while that is true to speed up the time needed to get hot, Blowing hot(or not) air is a different issue entirely. his engine is reaching normal temp but he has no hot air blowing inside. Correct?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Quote:

while that is true to speed up the time needed to get hot, Blowing hot(or not) air is a different issue entirely. his engine is reaching normal temp but he has no hot air blowing inside. Correct?

You got it. The engine itself is warmed up by the time I get a mile down the road. Hot air doesn't blow unless I'm giving her a decent amount of gas. And to answer your question from before, the fan is blowing air properly
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #16

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlleiber View Post
You got it. The engine itself is warmed up by the time I get a mile down the road. Hot air doesn't blow unless I'm giving her a decent amount of gas. And to answer your question from before, the fan is blowing air properly
This may sound strange, but I have seen the impeller on the waterpump fail before. If you suggest revving the engine to get some heat to flow from the core, I would think a flow problem exists. Revving the engine only speeds up the water pump. Are you still under warranty?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
ElkHunter is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
ElkHunter's Tacoma Gallery
Are the blend doors actuated by vacuum? If so, that could explain the fact that more RPMs gives you more heat... Maybe a cracked vacuum line/regulator???

More vacuum, more heat because the blend door is being held open. At least, it sounds that way to me...
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
Quote:
This may sound strange, but I have seen the impeller on the waterpump fail before. If you suggest revving the engine to get some heat to flow from the core, I would think a flow problem exists. Revving the engine only speeds up the water pump. Are you still under warranty?

Nope, not under warranty
Old 11-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Even when parked outside in the cold ... mine seems to warms up fast.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Mine warms up within about 2-3 miles. Actually gets really warm, almost hot within 10 min or so.