1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flashing the ECU

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by caglezxj, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Aug 14, 2007 at 5:55 AM
    caglezxj

caglezxj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I talked with a guy last night. Very experienced with the toyota v6 and V8 . He said that I could have the ecu flashed and achieve the same thing or even better than the urd device. He said he could change the fuel/ air mixture and anything else I need. He also said some of the dealerships should be able to do this. If I have him do it, I will have to remove th ECU from the truck, and don't know how hard it is to get to it. Has anyone removed there ecu? This is for a 07 Tacoma

2. Aug 14, 2007 at 7:14 AM
    4x4Taco

4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4X4
    Just remember if you get aggressive with the timing in the V6 or A/F ratio you will need to use 92 or 94 octane always as the motor is 10:1 comp.

3. Aug 14, 2007 at 8:06 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    yeah, with as high as our compression ration is, i am not planning on messing with my mixtures. If i do, i'm gonna make sure i pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it. I'd be careful if i were you

4. Aug 14, 2007 at 8:43 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Reflashing the ECU with what? - A new set of A/F ratios? Where are they getting the ratio table from? :confused:

5. Aug 14, 2007 at 6:21 PM
    caglezxj

Member:
    Well I work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing people, ANd it would be a QC guy that does all the dino test. We build the 4.0 V6 and the 5.7 Tundra Engine. I believe he knows what he is doing.

6. Aug 14, 2007 at 6:23 PM
    caglezxj

Member:
    Once the flash is done then my ecu will be ran on a new 4.0 engine to make sure it is set right, and runs correctly at different RPM's

7. Aug 14, 2007 at 6:24 PM
    caglezxj

Member:
    However I probably have said to much. And will let everyone know how it works afterwards.

8. Aug 14, 2007 at 7:12 PM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    hmmm... good luck with that, sounds pretty odd to me though. As soon as you make changes to intake, exhaust, etc. you'll likely have to keep "reflashing" to achieve correct settings again. Although i dont know how they're accomplishing it in the first place.

9. Aug 16, 2007 at 6:32 AM
    4x4Taco

4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4X4

The only way to do it properly would be with the truck (yours) on a chassis dyno using a wideband oxygen sensor and dial the A/F ratio in that way. That is what I had to do for my mustang. And you would be amazed at two identical vehicles on the dyno how much they can differ in A/F ratio and even HP produced. That’s why the manufactures leave such a large safety margin. (rich fuel mixtures)....Yes there is HP to be had but...you will pay a price if not done right.

10. Aug 16, 2007 at 12:31 PM
    Spyder327

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    That is very correct. Thus why there is a wideband installed in my truck permanently :)

11. Aug 16, 2007 at 1:56 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Spyder,

Sorry I need to pick you brain again after your last statement. Would I realistically need to permanantly install the wideband in my truck to prevent damage? Or would a once and done be safe? Assuming of course that the once and done was completed after all the engine and exhaust mods were finished, and provided that I ran the same gas all the time? Last question, (atleast this time) I live and drive primarily, and would tune in South Jersey (near sea level). I would not risk damage to the engine if I drove up to the mountins for the weekend? Correct me if I am wrong, but if I tuned at sea level in winter and drove up to the mountains in summer the thinner, warmer air would just take me back to a running rich scenario?

Thanks again

12. Aug 16, 2007 at 2:33 PM
    Spyder327

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    nah you don't have a huge need for a permanent wideband. The reason i have one is because i have URD's Supercharger kit. A good tune should pretty much stay at that same AFR for you and you wont have to worry. Of course, like you said, you'd want to do it after all your mods are completed, because each mod can throw around the AFR a bit.

As far as altitude, what i would recommend you do is tune it at the area your at (obviously). I'd say if you're going to change altitudes big time, you can just put back the stock fuel map and us that for your trip and then just put back on your tuned map when you return.

13. Aug 16, 2007 at 5:40 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    That makes perfect sense. I hadn't even considered just reverting to stock for ski trips and such. It is so simple and makes so much sense I feel stupid now.

Thanks again Spyder. I am sure I will come up with more questions still before I pull the trigger on this completely, but I am tapped out of questions for now. I do owe you a beer or two though should we ever find ourselves in the same location.

Thanks again

14. Aug 16, 2007 at 5:55 PM
    Spyder327

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Deal!

Just let me know if you have any more questions ;)

15. Jul 18, 2008 at 5:41 AM
    Philby

Philby Active Member

Member:
    Cairns Australia
    Vehicle:
    Hilux SR5 4x4 TRD S/C
    Heh caglezxj, would be interested in yr friends reflashing program as I'm keen to fit the TRD Supercharger but TRD Australia is a closed shop in letting out tech specs.
    Phil.

16. Jul 18, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    NHinAK

NHinAK Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    08 Tundra TRD
    -Debadged
    How much power do you figure your going to "unlock"? Not much I would imagine. Why not just get a TRD CAI and be done with it? Your likely to gain just as much with the CAI as this "reflash".

17. Sep 4, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    m3dragon

m3dragon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Old thread but we need to get enough people on the tacoma threads to have a tuner like powerchips make a ECu flash that tunes the ECU for most peoples cars. They do offer extra tunes for those who run more parts like headers and pullies ECT.

Products Discussed in

To Top