Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flashing the ECU

Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
caglezxj is on a distinguished road
caglezxj's Tacoma Gallery
Flashing the ECU

I talked with a guy last night. Very experienced with the toyota v6 and V8 . He said that I could have the ecu flashed and achieve the same thing or even better than the urd device. He said he could change the fuel/ air mixture and anything else I need. He also said some of the dealerships should be able to do this. If I have him do it, I will have to remove th ECU from the truck, and don't know how hard it is to get to it. Has anyone removed there ecu? This is for a 07 Tacoma
Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
4x4Taco will become famous soon enough4x4Taco will become famous soon enough

4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember if you get aggressive with the timing in the V6 or A/F ratio you will need to use 92 or 94 octane always as the motor is 10:1 comp.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, with as high as our compression ration is, i am not planning on messing with my mixtures. If i do, i'm gonna make sure i pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it. I'd be careful if i were you
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by caglezxj View Post
I talked with a guy last night. Very experienced with the toyota v6 and V8 . He said that I could have the ecu flashed and achieve the same thing or even better than the urd device. He said he could change the fuel/ air mixture and anything else I need. He also said some of the dealerships should be able to do this. If I have him do it, I will have to remove th ECU from the truck, and don't know how hard it is to get to it. Has anyone removed there ecu? This is for a 07 Tacoma
Reflashing the ECU with what? - A new set of A/F ratios? Where are they getting the ratio table from?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Well I work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing people, ANd it would be a QC guy that does all the dino test. We build the 4.0 V6 and the 5.7 Tundra Engine. I believe he knows what he is doing.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Once the flash is done then my ecu will be ran on a new 4.0 engine to make sure it is set right, and runs correctly at different RPM's
Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
However I probably have said to much. And will let everyone know how it works afterwards.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
hmmm... good luck with that, sounds pretty odd to me though. As soon as you make changes to intake, exhaust, etc. you'll likely have to keep "reflashing" to achieve correct settings again. Although i dont know how they're accomplishing it in the first place.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #9
4x4Taco will become famous soon enough4x4Taco will become famous soon enough

4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder327 View Post
hmmm... good luck with that, sounds pretty odd to me though. As soon as you make changes to intake, exhaust, etc. you'll likely have to keep "reflashing" to achieve correct settings again. Although i dont know how they're accomplishing it in the first place.

The only way to do it properly would be with the truck (yours) on a chassis dyno using a wideband oxygen sensor and dial the A/F ratio in that way. That is what I had to do for my mustang. And you would be amazed at two identical vehicles on the dyno how much they can differ in A/F ratio and even HP produced. Thatís why the manufactures leave such a large safety margin. (rich fuel mixtures)....Yes there is HP to be had but...you will pay a price if not done right.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Taco View Post
The only way to do it properly would be with the truck (yours) on a chassis dyno using a wideband oxygen sensor and dial the A/F ratio in that way. That is what I had to do for my mustang. And you would be amazed at two identical vehicles on the dyno how much they can differ in A/F ratio and even HP produced. Thatís why the manufactures leave such a large safety margin. (rich fuel mixtures)....Yes there is HP to be had but...you will pay a price if not done right.
That is very correct. Thus why there is a wideband installed in my truck permanently
Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is very correct. Thus why there is a wideband installed in my truck permanently
Spyder,

Sorry I need to pick you brain again after your last statement. Would I realistically need to permanantly install the wideband in my truck to prevent damage? Or would a once and done be safe? Assuming of course that the once and done was completed after all the engine and exhaust mods were finished, and provided that I ran the same gas all the time? Last question, (atleast this time) I live and drive primarily, and would tune in South Jersey (near sea level). I would not risk damage to the engine if I drove up to the mountins for the weekend? Correct me if I am wrong, but if I tuned at sea level in winter and drove up to the mountains in summer the thinner, warmer air would just take me back to a running rich scenario?

Thanks again
Old 08-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Spyder,

Sorry I need to pick you brain again after your last statement. Would I realistically need to permanantly install the wideband in my truck to prevent damage? Or would a once and done be safe? Assuming of course that the once and done was completed after all the engine and exhaust mods were finished, and provided that I ran the same gas all the time? Last question, (atleast this time) I live and drive primarily, and would tune in South Jersey (near sea level). I would not risk damage to the engine if I drove up to the mountins for the weekend? Correct me if I am wrong, but if I tuned at sea level in winter and drove up to the mountains in summer the thinner, warmer air would just take me back to a running rich scenario?

Thanks again
nah you don't have a huge need for a permanent wideband. The reason i have one is because i have URD's Supercharger kit. A good tune should pretty much stay at that same AFR for you and you wont have to worry. Of course, like you said, you'd want to do it after all your mods are completed, because each mod can throw around the AFR a bit.

As far as altitude, what i would recommend you do is tune it at the area your at (obviously). I'd say if you're going to change altitudes big time, you can just put back the stock fuel map and us that for your trip and then just put back on your tuned map when you return.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nah you don't have a huge need for a permanent wideband. The reason i have one is because i have URD's Supercharger kit. A good tune should pretty much stay at that same AFR for you and you wont have to worry. Of course, like you said, you'd want to do it after all your mods are completed, because each mod can throw around the AFR a bit.

As far as altitude, what i would recommend you do is tune it at the area your at (obviously). I'd say if you're going to change altitudes big time, you can just put back the stock fuel map and us that for your trip and then just put back on your tuned map when you return.
That makes perfect sense. I hadn't even considered just reverting to stock for ski trips and such. It is so simple and makes so much sense I feel stupid now.

Thanks again Spyder. I am sure I will come up with more questions still before I pull the trigger on this completely, but I am tapped out of questions for now. I do owe you a beer or two though should we ever find ourselves in the same location.

Thanks again
Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
That makes perfect sense. I hadn't even considered just reverting to stock for ski trips and such. It is so simple and makes so much sense I feel stupid now.

Thanks again Spyder. I am sure I will come up with more questions still before I pull the trigger on this completely, but I am tapped out of questions for now. I do owe you a beer or two though should we ever find ourselves in the same location.

Thanks again
Deal!

Just let me know if you have any more questions
Old 07-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #15
Philby is on a distinguished road
Philby's Tacoma Gallery
Heh caglezxj, would be interested in yr friends reflashing program as I'm keen to fit the TRD Supercharger but TRD Australia is a closed shop in letting out tech specs.
Phil.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
NHinAK is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
NHinAK's Tacoma Gallery
How much power do you figure your going to "unlock"? Not much I would imagine. Why not just get a TRD CAI and be done with it? Your likely to gain just as much with the CAI as this "reflash".
Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Old thread but we need to get enough people on the tacoma threads to have a tuner like powerchips make a ECu flash that tunes the ECU for most peoples cars. They do offer extra tunes for those who run more parts like headers and pullies ECT.