Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

JBA Long Tube Headers Review & Install Instructions

Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
JBA Long Tube Headers Review & Install Instructions

I pulled the trigger and ordered JBA long tube headers in stainless steel and URD o2 simulator from URD. I wanted to free up the exhaust in order to gain HP and TQ. By looking at the dyno graph there is only power loss below 2.8k rpm. Above 2.8k rpm the headers SHINE! By 3.68 rpm, there is a torque gain of 24WTQ and 17whp! The headers gain 4whp and 12wtq. I was especially intrigued by the gains between 2.8k rpm and 4.2k rpm which i thought could help when towing and getting up to speed or passing.

For the price of $468 I paid shipped from URD for JBA headers, gaskets and o2 simulator, the headers are definitely the best N/A performance mod for the 1GR.

Th JBA headers appear to be good quality. Fit is OK, I was unable to line up the headers with the header support brackets which bolt to the bottom of the header where the header connects to the midpipe.

One thing to be aware of is that the headers come with four holes for the o2 sensors, you will only be using two holes. The headers don't come with plugs for the holes. The plugs have to be ordered online, they are impossible to source locally.

Now for the install instructions. Below are Instructions which came with the headers just for reference. I didn't follow these instructions very closely, because many of the steps are unnecessary.

Now for my instructions;

Tools needed

12mm wrench
12mm socket
3/8 ratchet
14mm socket
14mm wrench
15mm socket
15mm wrench

1, securely jack the truck up and put on jackstands

2, remove front wheels

3, remove mud guards inside wheel wells

4, unplug all oxygen sensors (total of 4)

5, remove Y pipe - two 14mm bolts hold it to the exhaust and four 14mm nuts hold it to headers (two nuts on each exhaust manifold)

6, remove 14mm bolt holding exhaust manifold to brace. Bolt located on the bottom of the exhaust manifolds same spot where the ypipe connects to the exhaust manifold

7, remove nuts holding stock exhaust manifold to the heads of the engine all nuts are accessible through the wheel well (6nuts on each side)

8, remove stock exhaust manifolds, it requires little twisting because the exhaust manifolds get hold up on the brace at the bottom

9, remove brace held by two 14mm bolts on each side, my headers didnt line up with the brace

10, remove old exhaust manifold gaskets

11, install new header gaskets which came with headers

12, instal headers and hand tighten all header nuts (6 on each side)

13, tighten header nuts, work from inside out alternating top to bottom, once all nuts are tight, tighten them again in the same fashion to make sure the nuts are tight and the headers wont leak.

14, re-install Ypipe, use the nuts & bolts which came with the headers. two bolts & nuts per side they are 15mm

15, reinstall ypipe

16, plug in all 4 o2 sensors

17, install URD o2 simulator, i used zip ties to secure its harness and secured the unit to transmission mount

18, re-install wheels

19, safely lower truck & enjoy new headers!

Now for some pictures of my headers;

Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Do you realize that the dyno you posted was for DT headers, not JBA.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Do you realize that the dyno you posted was for DT headers, not JBA.
Yes I do. Since they are both long tube headers, the gains should be very similar.

JBA Headers;

Doug Thorley Headers;

Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
How do you like them so far? I've heard good things about JBA.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtaco24 View Post
How do you like them so far? I've heard good things about JBA.
I like them a lot! There is definitely noticeable power increase past 2.8K rpm. That said headers will make your truck LOUD! My truck has JBA headers, 2nd set of cats cut out and straight piped and 14" magnaflow welded in place of the stock muffler with turn down before axle. It is really loud, but sounds good. It is not too bad when I am easy on the throttle, but when I give it more gas all hell breaks loose Exactly how I like it
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Can ya post pics of entire exhaust system please. I was wanting to do this next year but don't know what cats to get. Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
WOUNED WARRIOR MARINE
Christianson.USMC is on a distinguished road
Marines: Purple Heart Vet (Active Duty)
Name: Will
Christianson.USMC's Tacoma Gallery
I juat took my JBA long tube headers and DT Y pipe out of the box. There are two O2 sensor bungs on the header and one on the Y pipe on each side,6 bungs total.
I was just going to use the top bung with stock O2 sensor on top of header and block the other and use the URD sim with the stock O2 sensor at the beginning of the Y pipe. Will that work fine/ is there a better way?????
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianson.USMC View Post
I juat took my JBA long tube headers and DT Y pipe out of the box. There are two O2 sensor bungs on the header and one on the Y pipe on each side,6 bungs total.
I was just going to use the top bung with stock O2 sensor on top of header and block the other and use the URD sim with the stock O2 sensor at the beginning of the Y pipe. Will that work fine/ is there a better way?????
That will work fine, thats how my o2 sensors are setup.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrh_2 View Post
Just ordered my set
Make sure to get two o2 bung plugs, order them now off ebay... They are impossible to find locally...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
rrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: Richard
rrh_2's Tacoma Gallery
The two exhaust rings that urd sends are supposed to replace the two that come with the gasket kit right?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
Could you post a sound clip?