1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Intake vs Safari Snorkel

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by El TacoBender, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Jun 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    El TacoBender

El TacoBender [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    always moving
    Vehicle:
    '03 taco sr5,4x4,v6
    -K&N CAI
    i have the k&n cai,really considering frankensteining the the k&n with the safari snorkel. just concerned if id get any side effects. no one has attempted it yet?

2. Apr 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    plamore

plamore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Offroad
    D-ring tow hitch insert (red)
    Don't mean to offend anyone here, but is there really any benefit with a snorkel? The factory location sucks air out of the very top of my wheel well on my first gen, so it's protected from rain and road splash and hot air from the engine. Obviousely no one is going to completely submerge their vehicle, so besides looking awesome, is there any real funcionality with a snorkel? Maybe I'm missing something?!

3. Apr 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Plenty of real functionality! The intake for the engine is located in the fender. With so many places getting flooded, or having deep water crossings, it is VERY easy to get water sucked in. Look at the numerous threads where people talk about hydrolock. It could have been prevented by a snorkel. It's not that someone would INTENTIONALLY completely submerge their truck, but it does happen. Better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.

4. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    plamore

plamore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Offroad
    D-ring tow hitch insert (red)
    Ok.. thanks for the lesson! I have always assumed you could only go as deep in terms of water level as your alternator… also, doesn't a snorkel scoop up rain water?

5. Aug 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    HAM5953

HAM5953 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma 2.7
    do they make it for a 2.7?

6. Jul 26, 2017 at 12:47 AM
    ken360

ken360 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRDOR DCSB Cement
    Does anyone have pictures of the engine bay with 3rd gen safari snorkel, doesn't the snorkel hook up to the stock air filter box ?

7. Nov 12, 2017 at 2:17 AM
    unstpible

unstpible Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 boosted V6 Auto 334k miles
    CX Racing Turbo kit TransGo shift kit All Pro Apex bumper and skids Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch All Pro Upper control arm's Bilstein 6112's with 600lb coils Eimkeith's lower control arm reinforcement plates with Perry Parts bump stops All Pro spindle gussets and alignment cam tabs All Pro standard 3" leaf springs Bilstein 5125's rear Extended rear brake line Rear diff breather relocation MagnaFlow catback with resonator Bluetooth stereo Memphis 6x9 door speakers with tweeters Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Amber fog lights Single piece headlights aftermarket grille Anzo taillights LED 3rd brake light 4runner sunglass holder and dome lights Master Tailgaters rear view mirror with 3 directional cameras, G shock sensors, and anti theft system Honda windshield washer nozzles Stubby antenna Scan Guage II 2nd Gen Snowflake wheels powder coated black Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 235-75/16 Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Speedytech7's big wire harness upgrade Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
    Just finished installing the safari snorkel on my 2nd gen while installing I noticed a few things that might answer some questions.

1st. You could dump a bottle of water or whatever down the snorkel and it probably won't do anything unless you were mashing on the throttle at the same time. There are 3 drainage holes in the stock air intake next to where it pulls the air from the fender designed to allow water to drain.

2nd. snorkels aren't just for water crossing and cool looks they are actually common in the desert because it helps filter out sand and other dust particles in the air. I don't really know how to explain how it works but there are lots of diagrams online.

3rd. A snorkel will actually RAM air into the intake while you drive down the road instead of having to pull the air from the fender giving you more air and cooler air from further away from the engine.

4th. You can still run after market closed air intake systems with the snorkel. I will be purchasing an aftermarket intake and filter system to work with the safari snorkel so they will complement each other. The air will be rammed down the snorkel and through the aftermarket intake system then to the engine. (I'm really only doing this because I want to be able to hear that deep tone of the CAI every time I put my foot down).

96BlackTaco likes this.
  8. Jul 1, 2019 at 12:47 AM
    96BlackTaco

96BlackTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    3.4L First gen
    Headers and cold air
    Did you end up finding a aftermarket intake and filter system to compliment the snorkel? I have a KN cai right now I’m debating building a box for it then safari snorkel

unstpible[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 7, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    The stock Tacoma's air intake sucks in more cold air than one of those under hood ricer CAI. Why would you go from sucking air from the fender well, outside the engine compartment, to sucking in hot air from under the hood?

El Taco Diablo likes this.
  10. Jul 7, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    96BlackTaco

96BlackTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    3.4L First gen
    Headers and cold air
    Its alot more horsepower and it has a heat shield but i didnt put it on. Im going to relocate the entire intake to create less angles to pull air through with my snorkel. This will also make more room for dual batteries

11. Jul 7, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    El Taco Diablo

El Taco Diablo Professional Pinstriper

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red DC, 5vz-fe, 4wd swap, LT, dual case, F/R locked
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!
    What's to keep someone from slashing you tires, or shoving a potato in your tailpipe, or throwing a brick through your front windsheild, or any number of things?

12. Jul 7, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    El Taco Diablo

El Taco Diablo Professional Pinstriper

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red DC, 5vz-fe, 4wd swap, LT, dual case, F/R locked
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!

You don't have to submerge your truck to hydrolock your motor with the stock location. Go through water that is up to the rocker panel too fast, or if the current is moving at the wrong direction or speed, you get splash up above your tires and could potentially harm your engine. No one is saying that you can submerge the truck to the height of where the snorkle intake is. The snorkle just raises it up, it would look pretty dumb if they just moved the intake up 1/4 the height of the windsheild and said "welp that's high enough, no one is going past THIS point anyway."

Also, snorkles have more of a benefit of keeping dust out than water. When you're in a group of trucks on a dusty road, the snorkle puts the intake air up higher and out of most of the dust cloud.

13. Jul 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    Calmlikeabomb

Calmlikeabomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hendersonville TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Sport M/T
    I second that, I hydrolocked my engine water wasn't even ovrr the rockers below bottom of doors 2" but the splash forced water up into my Fender well, ripped it out and water went into my intake,hydrolocked motor. Now I have to get another motor

14. Dec 1, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    CX Racing Turbo kit TransGo shift kit All Pro Apex bumper and skids Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch All Pro Upper control arm's Bilstein 6112's with 600lb coils Eimkeith's lower control arm reinforcement plates with Perry Parts bump stops All Pro spindle gussets and alignment cam tabs All Pro standard 3" leaf springs Bilstein 5125's rear Extended rear brake line Rear diff breather relocation MagnaFlow catback with resonator Bluetooth stereo Memphis 6x9 door speakers with tweeters Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Amber fog lights Single piece headlights aftermarket grille Anzo taillights LED 3rd brake light 4runner sunglass holder and dome lights Master Tailgaters rear view mirror with 3 directional cameras, G shock sensors, and anti theft system Honda windshield washer nozzles Stubby antenna Scan Guage II 2nd Gen Snowflake wheels powder coated black Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 235-75/16 Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Speedytech7's big wire harness upgrade Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

I ended up using the TRD intake connected to the Safari Snorkel. It was beautiful right up until I flipped the truck on the highway ‍

IMG_20171123_150638.jpg

BalutTaco likes this.
  15. Dec 1, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Let's just say I had great throttle response in that truck. Safari snorkel to the TRD intake, throttle body spacer, DougThorley long tube headers and a MagnaFlow cat back exhaust system with an axle dump all tuned with a Bully Dog chip

IMG_20180120_115856.jpg

EdgemanVA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top