Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Squealing noise when cranking my truck?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
tristen is on a distinguished road
Name: Tristen
tristen's Tacoma Gallery
Squealing noise when cranking my truck?

Every time I go to crank my truck, it'll crank up and then make a really high pitched squealing noise from anywhere to 3-10 seconds. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything. Can anyone tell me what it is and what to do about it?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Probably need a new belt.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
tristen's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I was thinking, how much are those?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Throw dirt on the belt so it doesn't slip on startup. KIDDING!
X2, it's something to do with the belt. It could be a bearing in one of the pullies giving up, not allowing the pulley to spin freely and the belt is slipping on it.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
tristen's Tacoma Gallery
Should I go to my local advanced to check it out? That's about all my small town has to offer..
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
mirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
mirraman's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles have you put on the truck since you last changed the belts? If you're the original owner and have never changed them, then there's a good chance they need replacing. It's a pretty easy job and the belt(s) should be pretty cheap from the auto parts store.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
tristen's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea honestly, my dad gave me the truck at about 64k and now I have gotten it up to 75k. It does it every time I start it up
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Change the belt. They're cheap enough. If it continues, one of your pulleys is failing.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Change the belt. They're cheap enough. If it continues, one of your pulleys is failing.
Have same noise. Which belt do I need to exchange???
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
Have same noise. Which belt do I need to exchange???
Serpentine belt.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Serpentine belt.
My truck is a 2003 v6 as far as I know I dnt have. Serpentine belt. I have three driving belts.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
My truck is a 2003 v6 as far as I know I dnt have. Serpentine belt. I have three driving belts.
???