Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flowmaster Super 40 vs Flowmaster 40 series vs Flowmaster super 44

Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Annolino122 has a spectacular aura aboutAnnolino122 has a spectacular aura about

Annolino122's Tacoma Gallery
Flowmaster Super 40 vs Flowmaster 40 series vs Flowmaster super 44

So I'm curious is to if there is a difference between super 40 and 40 series?

Also does anyone have an opinion or know if there is a difference in sound between the super 40 and super 44?

I'm trying to decide between the super 40 and super 44... the super 40 is cheaper for me to do and easier install, but i wanna know the difference before i make my decision, because the sound of the super 44 is nice.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
dont know the difference but i've had a 40 and currently a super 40. super 40 is a little less "harsh" than a 40, but still has similar sound.

As far as loudness between the two, i'd say they are basically identical, maybe the 40 is louder, but really not by much
Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Annolino122 has a spectacular aura aboutAnnolino122 has a spectacular aura about

shit quality youtube videos don't do much justice.

Thank you for the clarification.

Does the super 40 sound ricey? or does it keep a nice sound to it?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annolino122 View Post
shit quality youtube videos don't do much justice.

Thank you for the clarification.

Does the super 40 sound ricey? or does it keep a nice sound to it?
keeps a nice sound to it, of course this is all just from what I can tell from the drivers seat, I haven't really been around anyone I trust enough lately to drive it around and past me so I can hear it.

If anything, and please dont quote me, this is purely subjective, I personally think it sounds "deeper" than the 40. That probably isn't enough of a description but thats what I can offer
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #7

thanks for the opinions
Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 44....doesn't even sound that loud to me. Deep when cruizing and low RPM's!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the super 44 and honestly I can barely hear it. I'm switching to a reg 40 soon.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #10

40 it is! Thank you
Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
I've got the super 44 and honestly I can barely hear it. I'm switching to a reg 40 soon.
I thought the 44 was supposed to be louder than the 40? OP, I had the 50 on my 2.7 and it sounded pretty deep for a four banger. On my 4.0 I had a super 40 then after a few years swapped for a super 10. These motors aren't really all that loud with all the cats. If you want loud go for the 10.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #12
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed.......44 and 10 are louder than the 40!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
That was just my opinion, when I first got my truck it had a 3 inch center I/o reg 40 on it. I ripped it off being a dumbass and got a super 44 2.5 inch center I/o with a turn down before the rear axle put on and it sounds a lot quiter. Although Idk how much of a difference the other one being a 3 inch would make on the stock piping if any though.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
That was just my opinion, when I first got my truck it had a 3 inch center I/o reg 40 on it. I ripped it off being a dumbass and got a super 44 2.5 inch center I/o with a turn down before the rear axle put on and it sounds a lot quiter. Although Idk how much of a difference the other one being a 3 inch would make on the stock piping if any though.
It was the turn-down. I chopped my 40 after the axle and it got really quiet.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
It was the turn-down. I chopped my 40 after the axle and it got really quiet.
Well that explains that part, I figured having a turn-down would have made it louder (cab wise) or gave me bad drone but it didn't
Old 12-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #17

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Happened to mine too!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #18

So my plan is... To do the turn down right before the axel also. Personal opinion I don't like the look of a Tacoma with exhaust tips on it. But I also know the owners of the exhaust shop and he is going to remove the two cats after the sensors, that way I don't get a check engine light but I get a little more flow and sound.
So knowing my set up... Only having 2/4 cats and dumping the exhaust before the axel, what would be the nicer sounding?
I watched the flowmaster videos and the supers are for more muscle cars and high horse power so maybe that's why they're conception is "louder", but with the removal of two cats, I'm thinking the regular 40 or a super 40 would be the best sound?

Anyone have an opinion on my set up? Or have done something close?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #19

I actually just found a video of what i want to do exactly, and it sounds beast
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Gqm7qy8rc