1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma owner needs TRD supercharger info

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by B11, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Dec 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    B11

B11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    I have a 2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road pkg. w/V6 w/auto that I purchased yesterday and part of my "deal" was I buy the TRD SC and they install it no additional charge to me.

Who has the best price on these TRD superchargers? From the little bit of digging I've already done the price seems to be alllllll over the map.

Do you all think the motor needs to be broke in and get a few miles on it before I have the SC installed and if so about how many miles is enough???

Other than having to use premium fuel and poor fuel economy when I've got my foot in it does the TRD SC cause any serious or major problems in the future? I completely understand I can/could have premature wear issues in the drivetrain if I spend a lot of time rodding the piss out of it.

I've read URD has a smaller, stock look alike, pulley that gives and extra couple lbs of boost that sounds like it helps wake these TRD SC kits up. Is this just a simple pulley swap with nothing else needed or is there more to it than simply swapping the pulley????

If I'm missing something, please, feel free to straighten me out.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Also, nice forum you all have here.

2. Dec 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    MGM Tacoma

MGM Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dunn NC
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB MGM TRD OR
    congratson the new truck, im interested as well i plan on get th supercharger later but i wanted to get some miles on mine first.

3. Dec 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Nicky Lam

Nicky Lam Dog Face Soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Somers Point/Mount Laurel, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    NOV12: Front windows tinted to matched to rear windows 12NOV12: Fog light anytime mod DEC12: OME 885 w/ 25912 top plate spacers for full 3" lift OME Trim packer Dakar Rear 5 Leaf Packs Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms 2.5° Degree Rear Axle Shims 18JAN13: 17x9 Fuel Kranks 17x9 4.5 BS -12mm Offset 285-70-17 Goodyear Duratracs 23JAN13: OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit 05FEB13 TRD Aluminum Skid Plate 05FEB13 TRD Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust (2012 modified to fit 2013) Auto Mate 5304A (Viper 5704 Equivalent) 2-Way Alarm/Remote Start with Smart Start for iPhone De-Badged All Emblems 30JUL13 Go Rhino Stainless Steel Dominator II Side Steps *not yet installed: Stainless Steel Extended Rear Brake Lines

have a 13 i bought almost 2 months ago, done my research, and.. to my knowledge. you're going to have to wait. i dont know the exact details, but something on the intake with the new 13's?

im sure someone on here with more knowledge will chime in on here soon.

the extra 4 grand you were going to spend on a SC, you can save and wait, or... drop it on new suspension and wheel/tires... thats what i did. :goingcrazy:

4. Dec 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    Does "part of the deal" mean THEY sell you a super charger and install it or you can get one form anywhere you want and they instal it regardless?

5. Dec 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Mikehole

Mikehole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 Short Bed TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift w/ 285/75/16s and planning on OBA for sometime in the future. Also thinking about the HWMS and a Warn 8000 for it.
    I was under the impression that dealers are unable to finance the SC with the purchase of the Taco. (think I read that on the TRD website)
    That being said, I bought mine on Ebay from a highly rated seller for about $3700, and then had it installed at City Toyota in Daly City for $700.
    I think they screwed up in giving me that price, it took them 3 days to get it done. I can't complain about the installation.
    The increase in power wasn't what I had been hoping for (I wanted more lower end torque, coming from a v8 Tundra), but it is stupid fast when you get on the gas. (above 3000RPM)
    Mine's only a 2012, so I haven't come across any wearing issues, yet.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    B11

B11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    What happened was I agreed on their price of $12k difference on my trade in but only if they installed a TRD SC kit, that I'll supply or purchase from them, for free. Now, I'm certainly aware NOTHING is for free so I'm quite positive I'm paying for that install somehow... :)

7. Jan 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Yeah, I have been calling them (TRD) and waiting patiently for months now looking for the date that the supercharger comes out. My best guess is May of this year as it was last years release. And yes the TRD website says you can not add that into the cost of the vehicle, but I asked the dealer anyways and they let me do it. Now I have the most awesome IOU ever, sitting in my glove box. Its ok tho, because I am still learning the truck and the supercharger would just spin the tires all the time on the ice anyways.

8. Feb 12, 2013 at 2:31 AM
    ToyotaTacoma4Ever

ToyotaTacoma4Ever Get Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Tacoma Sport
    Check Out The S/C Build
    -Prices will varry ALOT from a dealership and from buying it online, you can get a better deal online from what ive seen lol

-the S/C hasnt been released for your model yet so you dont have to worry about that lol im sure it wouldnt hurt the engine anyways. Economy can be close to stock with a light foot (good luck when you get the S/C LOL)

-Everything wears down overtime, you'll see trucks that have 150 000 KM+ (93000 mile roughly) and still running strong lol

-Smaller pulley is an awesome upgrade, and yes all you do literally swap out the S/C pulley (your limited on how small you can go though because of the reflash)

9. Feb 12, 2013 at 2:40 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    TRD is still working on the fit-kit for the 2013 Tacoma, as someone else said. It will probably be out around May as that seems to be when they release them.

Prices will vary TRDParts4U is where I ordered mine and I got it for $3500 shipped. If you find it somewhere cheap and they don't include shipping, add about $100 for that as the S/C with fit kit is ~90lbs shipped.

Even if you wait the 1000 miles the manufacturer recommends for engine break-in you'll still want to wait about 100 miles after installing the S/C to really get on it as you want to make sure all of the seals and gaskets settle before being put under stress and you also give time to allow any minor issues to be fixed.

The URD pulley is a great add-on but you need a special tool that I believe they sell. If you are concerned about warranty I would avoid it as it seems that most dealers have an eye for that when people come in for warranty work.

The engine may wear quicker than a non-boosted setup but if you go over to the XRunner forums there are guys that have been beating the hell out of their boosted engines and are over 200k miles with no problems so I wouldn't be too concerned.

I installed my S/C myself and have had it for over a year now. If you have any more questions about it feel free to PM me.

10. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    B3AS7808

B3AS7808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4.0 4x4
    TRD S/C,URD 2.8 Stealth pulley, DTLT Headers,URD ypipe, URD rear O2 Sims, TRD catback, Powerstop rotors and pads, weathertech floor liners. RCD 4.5 lift. Nitto Trails 295/70R/17, KMC XD125's.
    dealer contacted me yesterday and said the ECU reflash is out for the 2013 tacomas and my supercharger will be in next week.

11. Feb 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    liguy

liguy Active Member

Member:
    Massapequa, NY
    Vehicle:
    B2600i
    hey BA...
    did the S/C come in? how'd the install go?
    (I'm still haggling with the dealership over how much of a thief they want to be on the order form! lol!)

12. Feb 26, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    pjs42

pjs42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Penna
    Vehicle:
    Red,off road,4x4,auto
    What kind of mileage are you getting vs no charger at all ?

13. Feb 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    2013 Suprercharger installed!!!!!

14. Feb 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Pics and video or it didn't happen :D

15. Feb 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    This is all I have. Its snowing like a bastard out so I can't even experience the power. I also have a vid but I have never uploaded one. Ill wait till i can have a good one. As soon as i touch the gas it spins so not much to see yet.

IMAG0383.jpg
    IMAG0384.jpg

16. Feb 27, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    FMF

FMF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    Chicago Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    SUSPENSION ARB Old Man Emu BP-51 OME Internal Bypass coil overs and rear shocks Suspension ARB Dakar one ton Rear Hi-Lux Leafs EL091 U Bolt Flip Kit Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Spring Daystar Universal Air Bag Cradle Wheelers Front Super Bump Stops SPC Performance Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms All-Pro 4" Steel Braided Brake Lines EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads WHEELS TIRES TRD 16-in Off-Road Beadlock-Style Alloy Wheels Bronze BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 255/85R16 with matching full size spare. ARMOR ARB Deluxe Bull Bar with Quadratec Q9500is Winch with Dyneema Synthetic Rope B.A.M.F Kick Out Rock Sliders PERFORMANCE ARB Safari Snorkel TRD Performance Exhaust System INTERIOR Clazzio Leather Seat Covers LIGHTING ARB IPF 900XS Extreme Driving Lights Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights All interior lighting swapped to LED's AUDIO Front Doors: Rokford Fosgate p1694 6x9 Rokford Fosgate Tweeter P1T-s Back Doors: Rokford Fosgate P16 6 ½ OTHER Custom Martin Truck Bodies Aluminum Flatbed Weather Tech Window Rain Deflectors Bird Dawg Tech Extreme Deck Gadget Mount PrinSu Design Aluminum Roof Rack T6 Aluminum Devil Horn Toyota Emblem Ceramic Window Tint Bushwacker fender flares
    Nice! Cant wait to get mine!

17. Feb 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts

They did not screw up. it is a 6 hour book job and 3 days is nuts...

I took 8 hours our my first install, and had it down to about 4.5 by the 4th.

I took 6 to do mine with the APR X-1 install as well.

Great little unit though

Justin

18. Feb 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    That's purity :D If it makes you feel any better it was 77 degrees today with plenty of sun. I had to turn on the AC on the way home :D

19. Feb 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    Nicky Lam

Nicky Lam Dog Face Soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Somers Point/Mount Laurel, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    NOV12: Front windows tinted to matched to rear windows 12NOV12: Fog light anytime mod DEC12: OME 885 w/ 25912 top plate spacers for full 3" lift OME Trim packer Dakar Rear 5 Leaf Packs Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms 2.5° Degree Rear Axle Shims 18JAN13: 17x9 Fuel Kranks 17x9 4.5 BS -12mm Offset 285-70-17 Goodyear Duratracs 23JAN13: OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit 05FEB13 TRD Aluminum Skid Plate 05FEB13 TRD Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust (2012 modified to fit 2013) Auto Mate 5304A (Viper 5704 Equivalent) 2-Way Alarm/Remote Start with Smart Start for iPhone De-Badged All Emblems 30JUL13 Go Rhino Stainless Steel Dominator II Side Steps *not yet installed: Stainless Steel Extended Rear Brake Lines
    Trdparts4u has it listed for the 2013's !! I need to save, I dropped my SC fund on full ome 3", dakars, 90000 shocks, uca, 17's and 33's :/

truck only has 4k on the odo, it can wait

20. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top