1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Supercharger ??

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by MGM Tacoma, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Dec 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    MGM Tacoma

MGM Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dunn NC
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB MGM TRD OR
    ok so I'm interested in getting the TRD for my Tacoma but i have a few questions that i would like to have cleared up lol. ok so ive been searching and it seems the normal mpg drop is 1-2 no I'm wondering how true this is for people that actually have it installed not what your friend said his cousin was getting. i know if you get into the throttle its going to drop fast so with just cruising around and easy starts what am i looking at mpg wise? also will i get better mpg towing supercharged or stock? i will be towing a 3k pound open trailer. besides a loss in mpg and running 91+ octane is there any other downside to having it?

last question anyone that has the trd to you regret getting it or are you glade you have it. I'm fine with a 1-2 mpg loss but dont want a Major loss

Thanks in advance

2. Dec 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    I have had my supercharger from the time I drove the truck off the lot. Currently my fuelly.com stats show me at 17.8 mpg after 3600 miles. Around town I typically am in the 17-18 range. 18 if I am good with the throttle, 17 or less if I like to get on it (which I do). Talking with other Tacoma owners without the supercharger it seems like that is close to what they get. My best was 22.4 during a long drive through the mountains which is where the supercharger really shined. I was able to cruise in 6th gear uphill and going through the passes allowing me to get great gas mileage on the trip. Based on that I would imagine you could see better mpg towing with the supercharger since you could run in a higher gear sooner or more often.

As for the 91 octane cost, it isn't that big of a difference for me since I only drive about 7500 miles a year. The difference in price per gallon has been about 20 to 25 cents lately. 7500 miles at 17 mpg = 441 gallons. 441 gallons at $.25/gal = $110.25 more per year I will spend on gas.

My only complaint as of now is it appears the kit comes with some rather weak hose clamps for the coolant system. I will be taking the truck in again to have another clamp replaced with a stronger one as my coolant is leaking a bit again.

After 16 years of owning 4 cylinder pickups I am loving this truck. I have the power to pass when needed, can merge into traffic without worry of getting rear ended, and I can easily maintain the speed limit going up the highest mountain passes.

Hope this helps.

3. Dec 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    I have had a Sc on my truck since October. I have a V6 6sp TRD offroad. Previously I was getting about 18.3mpg with mostly highway driving. Since the install, I have been seeing about 17.5mpg but I am also still playing with it a bit. I also have the URD pulley installed and running a Unichip. I can't complain about anything with the charger, I am also quite impressed I had not seen a larger drop in MPG.
    My only grip, when the times comes, is changing the driver side plugs is going to be a BIATCH.

4. Dec 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    MPG drop isn't due to the SC, it's due to the driver enjoying the new SC :thumbsup:

5. Dec 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    Mikehole

Mikehole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 Short Bed TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift w/ 285/75/16s and planning on OBA for sometime in the future. Also thinking about the HWMS and a Warn 8000 for it.
    I've had mine sc installed since July. My mpg drop wasn't that significant, but I also have a 3" lift and 33" tires (for which the mpg drop was big). I get anywhere from 220 to 250 miles per tank before the fuel light turns on (not correcting for the 33" tires).
    I also noticed some coolant leaking, but that stopped after a couple of months. There wasn't a significant amount, but it was still troubling that my new truck with a brand new, dealer installed SC was dripping red fluid in my driveway.
    My biggest complaint is the SC whine. It is overbearing. Unless I have the radio turned way up, it's all I can hear when accelerating, or maintaining speed up anything from a gentle to steep incline.
    That being said, it is stupid fast. A few weeks ago, I was going about 20mph and stomped on the gas, and the tires spun for about 3 seconds. I felt like a jackass, but was grinning ear to ear.

6. Dec 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    B11

B11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    I think the only "complaints" are from us 2013 Tacoma owners. TRD doesn't have a ECU reflash for the 2013's with a SC kit yet. I would have thought the 2012 and 2013's would have taken the same flash but I was wrong.

7. Dec 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    BINGO! :D

8. Dec 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    B.Radd.KO

B.Radd.KO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blanalin
    Prince George, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC TRD Std.
    HID Fog/Hi/Low 3000W RMS Stereo TRD Quickshifter TRD Supercharger TRD Exhaust JBA Headers
    Just to be clear all of this is for a 4l v6 tacoma, the tundras kit is completely different.

I just placed an order for my sc this week. I want to open the engine up as much as I can after the install, so I've ordered a set of headers to be installed as well.

A few things I have learned about making the switch to f/I:

This sc is NOT designed to run with a CAI. your engine will run too lean which can cause damage.

The dyno tests I have seen on the Internet say you will have a gain of about 70 hp

The sc kit comes with a new fuel system; larger injectors etc. not sure if they have to change out the pump also like with the URD kit

I haven't seen anything out there to get around the fuel issues of running with a CAI, besides going with the URD kit, which is a completely different sc and fuel system,and if you are going with their stage 3 kit they caution that the stock engine and drivetrain cannot handle the power (over 450whp have Been dynod with their stage 3 kit)

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    B.Radd.KO

B.Radd.KO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blanalin
    Prince George, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC TRD Std.
    HID Fog/Hi/Low 3000W RMS Stereo TRD Quickshifter TRD Supercharger TRD Exhaust JBA Headers
    As far as I know the trd runs at around 5-6 lbs of boost.

10. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    F-125Racer

F-125Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09,DC,TRD Sport, 4WD, TRD S/C
    Look up "6 Cylinder Towing Review" on the towing forum. I think that will answer most of your questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top