Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

noise from flowmaster american thunder exhaust

Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Schuylerville is on a distinguished road

Name: Christian
Schuylerville's Tacoma Gallery
noise from flowmaster american thunder exhaust

I got a flowmaster american thunder exhaust. A friend recomended it and they are very pleased with it, as iam i. Except lately, aboutt 2 months after it being professionally installed, there id a noise coming from under my passenger seat, which is where my exhaust runs under the truck. It is a rattling noise that happens only when i accelerate slowly, and my rpm's are around 1700-1900. Right before it shifts. Then the noise goes away when i rev it or completely let off the gas. Any ideas? any help is apprieciated, cannot figure this out, thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
check the bolts, i have the same sound.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Smile noise

check the tail pipe near the rear of the leaf spring. mine is making contact there under light throttle and a right turn. fitment issue which cannot be adjusted.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Alll good suggestions......may I add 1 more?

Mine was found while the truck was cold.....smacked the cat shield and heard the same rattle....traced it to a pebble/rock inside the cat shield.

I also had the tail end of the pipe making contact with part of the rear frame iirc but it was only on bumps.

The small pebble/rock incident caused an annoying rattle at low rpm tho.

Get under the truck with a glove and start thumping on parts on the exhaust and trace the sound if possible.

Sometimes flowmasters do rust from the inside out tho.......hopefully that's not the case for you.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Check the bolts and ALL your clamps.

If your setup is strictly held together with clamps (out of the box) - things may have shifted over time and are 'settling in' (so to speak).

I had mine welded at the clamps after we installed it.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post

Sometimes flowmasters do rust from the inside out tho.......hopefully that's not the case for you.
It shouldn't rust after only 2 months.

But I will agree with you..... Mine has rusted out (holes) at the muffler out feed pipes after 4 years. This week I'm getting it removed and going back to a stock setup.